1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

best lever action 22lr

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by pea shooter, Mar 13, 2010.

1. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Marlin 39A, the pre-crossbolt safety ones. But the new ones aren't all that bad, I just like the older ones better. No other lever action comes close.

If you like a pistol grip. This one's a 1982 with a Century Limited stock set. I still have the originals. I'm not crazy about scopes on them but it shoots so good it deserves one...and I can't see like I used to.
    [​IMG]

Or if you like a straight grip, a 39A Mountie. This is a 1957.
    [​IMG]
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Can't judge the Golden Boy , never had one, but between the Winchester 9422 and the Marlin 39A, well, I have to stick up for my first love, the Marlin 39A,1949 Manufacture, it is accurate as sin and almost as much fun to shoot. I have a old Williams peep sight on it and no small furry mammal within an 100 yards is safe when when it starts barking. It also took a whitetail that was having lunch in our cornfield but that's a different story.
  3. bamashooter

bamashooter New Member

my opinion its the henry. smoothest action ive ever seen, very accurate, shoots S,L,LR. mine has 1000's of rounds through it and its never had any problems. bluing is still very good, wood is awesome. i dont have any of the others but im sure they are all good rifles. :D
  4. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

I feel fortunate to own an early Winchester 9422 and would not trade it for any other lever action ever made.

Another .22 lever action I'd like to have is a Marlin Mountie.

Not in production now is the Taurus slim & trim lever action from their copy of the Winchester 62A pump and it sure looked nice but they stopped making them. They were available in blue or stainless steel. Here's a picture.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  5. Agentwil

Agentwil New Member

I have to agree with you. I have a Henry and it has to be one of my most fun rifles. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 10/22 because I much rather shoot my Henry. Ammo quality doesn't matter it seems to feed and shoot anything I put in it, can't say that about the 10/22. I'm sure I will be giving my henry to my son when he is old enough, I know I won't be selling it.
  6. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

I enjoy my 39a. Lots of fun to shoot.
  7. OldPilgrim

OldPilgrim New Member

I have a 1954 Marlin 39a and a 2006 Henry blued lever model (H001).

I'm impressed by both.

The Marlin is the standard, well made and slick action.

The Henry is surprisingly close to the same quality. The wood is perfect, the action is as smooth and it's just as accurate. The only 'lesser' part is the cast receiver of the Henry, but the bluing is perfect and beautiful.

Foe less than $300 new, the Henry is a bargain.
  8. runswithscissors

runswithscissors New Member

9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have been shooting a Marlin 39 since the early forties and wouldn't have any other.

I have never had a jam or failure and have bagged a heap of rabbit, squirrel, rats and crows. That doesn't count the plinking done. Thousands and thousands of rounds since 1941 !!!!!!
  10. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

All I can vouch for is my Marlin 39a golden mountie. Straight grip. I would not Trade it for anything.
  11. Win73

Win73 New Member

I really like my 10/22 but I wouldn't trade my Marlin 39A Golden Mountie for ten 10/22's.