Best long range rifle under a grand

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Rommelvon, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Hey all, I'm in need of a nice long range "sniper" rifle, I have looked at a few and for under a grand the remington 700 seems to fit the bill, anyone have any rifles they recommend and trust?...I have a grand to spend--thanks
  2. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I like the Schmidt-Rubin K-31 for a long-range shooter. Might have a bit of an issue with scopes, however. [grin]

Your choice of the Rem 700 as a basic platform is solid. The 700's tubular receiver is very highly regarded as an accurate action. You can start out with a basic barrel and move up to a Shilen or other super-accurate barrel as you can afford it. Same with the stock. You can start out with a basic stock and move up to a "sniper" stock as your budget allows.

Your biggest expense in building a "sniper" rifle will be the optics. Top of the line optics for long-range shooting will often cost more than the rifle itself. If you decide to go the Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski route, you can spend over $1000 just on the scope. Nikon, Pentax and Leupold have several excellent choices for scopes that will be less likely to break the bank. Even more economical are some of the Bushnell or Swift brand optics. http://www.eabco.com carries the Swift line at decent prices.

Have fun with this project! Sounds like you're just starting on a long-term hobby in and of itself!
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If you want plenty of money left over for optics their is the Stevens. You can get it in either .308 or 30-06 for around $320-$350. Leave ya about $600-$650 for a good scope.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Savage builds some awesome performing bolt guns, on the really shady side of Remington's (NEW) prices;They're not so sleek, or pretty, as I find the M700, but shoot well.
    You said a grand, for the rifle, and I'm gonna assume that's what you meant; that said, if you look, you can still buy a Rem 40-X, used, but low mileage, for that money, and get the best the company ever built- best actions, barrels, triggers, etc, within your budget;calibers range from .222 to .300 WinMag, as production rifles. Customs, and many were built, could be in almost any caliber, but likely will cost more!
    I'm seeing more and more, dated, but sound, 'Benchrest rifles' coming to market in south Texas; a lot of 'rail type', mauser actioned rifles, but some Rem, and custom actions, as well. You may want to look at the 'Buy-Sell' section of some of the benchrest forums' websites, and do the arithmetic, of course, before you buy, but they are a source of 'well used', ' well cared for'
    gear, that is seldom used in sporting circles.
    Before you shop, define your need: Long range, to me, is over 1,000 yds; you may be looking for an entirely different rifle, according to your personal standards! Then, make a list of the calibers that will do what you need to do; a 'soft target' at 400, is a snap for a .223, in a good rifle, but, put the target in a car, in the wind, in body armor, and you need more accuracy (body armor/head shot), or more power (Body armor, auto glass) to git 'er done!
    I'll share another secret; we don't need to own a hundred rifles, but, if we can, it's kinda nice; every rifle I own has a 'need', justifying it's existance, in my vault. Were I married, I'd prolly have to work harder at it, but that is not the case, so minimal 'need' is enough justification!
    TWO .47-70 Marlin M-1895's? Heck yes. the solid frame, for (a very few) hunts where we travel on four wheels, and the 'take-down', which is essential, when I travel to a hunt on a motorcycle, to reduce the overall length, so as to transport more safely, and securely.
    In this case the takedown is still 'in process', but I have no doubt but, when all is said and done, it will shoot as or more accurately than it's solid frame sibling.
    Currently, I am considering rifles in the .50 BMG range, and looking for advice and information about accuracy, and economics of the Genre; these are 'extreme long range accuracy rifles', with many confirmed hits out beyond 2,000 yds, in military service, with a bullet weighing an ounce and three quarters, launched around 3,000fps; define the need!
    Hope this helps.
  5. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

I would get a look at a Savage catalog, they are far more complete, and do a put together, of a 26 in bbl, synthetic or lam stock and choose your cal. if ammo cost isnt that big a deal , go with a 300 win mag, or wsm, or rum. if not that , do it in 7mm. if ammo cost is a factor, go 308, or if they have it , 6.5 swedish, goes way out there, better b.c. and s.d. than the 308, and only slightly less authority, than the 308. them other cals still hit like a truck, even out to 1000. Should also be more acc. than the remmy , and if for some reason, you ever shoot the bbl out, you can replace it yourself. just buy the bbl from savage, and the headspace gauge, and you are money, baby!
  6. The Big Dog

The Big Dog New Member

Hi,

I'd have to agree, Savage builds one of the most accurate guns out of the box that I've seen. Their 112 series is pillar bedded, laminated stocked, and with the adjustable accu-trigger, they're awesome. The new Remingtons, Rugers, and Winchesters don't even come close. In my opinion, the only factory gun that gives Savage a run is CZ. I only like to shoot accurate rifles and if I had to shoot a factory gun, it would be savage.

Now to answer your question, I'd look into the Savage 12/112 series with the laminated stock. CZ hac a tactical rifle but it is a little more than the $1000 limit you set. If you don't mind a used gun, I'd look at the rifles on The Shooters Corner http://benchrest.com/shooterscorner/ They have a large selection of benchrest and varmint rifles for sale. Look for the rifles with the slow twist barrels for the heavier bullets. They are the ones used for the 600yd/1000yd benchrest matches. They're a lot cheaper than having one built. Trust me, I know.

If you get a Remington 700, You'll need to get it rebuilt.

Match grade barrel-------------------$350

Install and chamber barrel------------$200

True action and bolt------------------$200

Tactical or varmint stock-------------$350

Pillar bed-----------------------------$125

Trigger job---------------------------$50

I can go on and on about accurate rifles. The guy that holds our club record at 600yds did it with a Savage 112 in 7 Mag. What can I say? Savage builds a good gun.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I think you have this a bit backward, the faster the twist (i.e. 1:7 is for long heavy bullets) the more stabilized a heavy bullet is. The lighter bullets like a slow twist - 1:12. Shoot a light bullet from a fast twist (1:7) and your bullet most likely will never hit the target. It will explode before it gets there.
  8. dbltap

dbltap New Member

curious, what do you consider a heavy bullet? Would a 30-06 or 308 work well in a 1-12 twist?

Thanks
  9. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Anything smaller than a .30 (.308) is considered a light round, .223/5.56 MIGHT be an exception, but I don't think so.

Mosin-Nagant 91/30 w/ PU scope system under $500
    Mauser k98 with some-named scope system for $900-$1200+
    Remington 700 with .308 set-up with a good scope for $750-$1500+

I'm forgetting a few but someone will, undoubtedly, come along with a 50 page list. :)
  10. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 New Member

REMINGTON 721 / 722 / 725 family
    best out of the box accuracy
    best building platform

best regards, mike.
  11. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

oops...almost repeated myself!

Nothing to see here, move along!
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Dbltap, 168's to 600, except in serious wind, 190's 0r 220's, for more!
    168's are the limit, in 12" twist, I'd think about 1 in 10", or even 9" for a dedicated rifle, for the last two. HPBTM, all. YMMV, but this works well for me.
    You said, or somebody did, 'Sniper Rifle' which implies a floor energy, down range.
    Hope this helps.
    Terry
  13. paulsgs

paulsgs New Member

I just added a 1972 40-X at that price. now I need a scope.
  14. Cowboy6373

Cowboy6373 New Member

Rommelvon, I agree with a few of the other members in recommending the Savage rifles. Be sure the model you choose has both the accu-stock and accu-trigger. I now have 2 Savages and my friend bought one as well. All 3 are tack drivers. Mine are 300 win mag and the 20 ga slug gun and my buddy has the 270 win. For long range I would consider the 300 win mag. I have the bear hunter model with muzzle break and honestly it's a pleasure to shoot even with 300 win mag. Good luck and happy long range shooting!
  15. dragman

dragman New Member

Savage model 12 LRPV in 260. Check out my thread on it. I have been shooting the 1000 yard game all year and this rifle is a beast! with the target action and 100% lug engagement I would take a savage over a Remington because to have a remington blueprinted and timed to be as nice as the savage target action you are gonna need a good gunsmith and a few hundred bucks.
  16. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

You might check the Winchester model 70.
  17. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Didn't realize that you were close by, you can come down and try my savage if you like
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  18. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I'm about 4 hours from you, but we could take an entire saturday to shoot
  19. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I don't want to quell the discussion, because I am (and I'm sure others are also) still gaining from the new opinions posted, but we sadly lost Rommelvon from this world back in late 2008. He's certainly no longer looking for a rifle.

Also, as you read back through this thread, be sure you understand that some of the stated prices are over 5 years old. I wish I could still find some of these items as listed here. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  20. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Do keep in mind if you come, mine doesn't have the accutrigger or the accustock.