Best Man Stopper - British Webley .455 calibre?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Kent Detective, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Yesterday I was surfing the net on the subject of Webley Revolvers. I was blown away by the asking price for these weapons. As a young man these revolvers were everywhere and the price was cheap. What happened?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. db4usa

db4usa New Member

My buddy had one and we reloaded until the cases wore out. It was a fun one to shoot. I passed on buying that tank from him and wished that I hadn't. Also, I ran across 2 Jamaican LEO's while on vacation once at a roadside rest. They shared an old Honda 500 as well a Webley .455. I did ask if it was a .38 or .455. The proud patrolman beemed...445 mon donya know?
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

What happened? Time, and gun collectors interested in history. I think there are a lot more gun collectors around than there used to be, and a lot more people interested in military history, too. A military pistol is a piece of history you can shoot, and thereby learn about history first hand. What's it like to shoot a Webley .455? Are the sights good? How hard does it kick? Buy one, and you can find out for yourself. (I used to have a Nambu Type 14 automatic. I was quite surprised by how good the sights were, and how light the trigger pull was. But the safety catch was a dreadful piece of design.) More and more people are interested in this kind of thing, and they tend to hang on to the the guns once they have them.

I blame the Internet for some of the price inflation too. By tapping into the national market, people are able to find the one person in America crazy enough to pay a ridiculous price for their gun. Other people take note, and price their guns accordingly.

Just my $.02
  4. dustydog

dustydog New Member

got to agree about the internet.It also seems to loose sight of some basics when it come to handguns as a weapon.Pretty much a last ditch affair at the best of times(handgun as weapon),and it seems that the quality of marksmanship under stress has gone down;if we are to bealive that more than 5-10 rounds in a fight involving a handgun is to be nessesary
  5. barnetmill

barnetmill New Member

This is an old thread that I can across while I was researching without luck some hard data for the old british manstopper load in the .455. For fighting under the conditions of the WWI I would have preferred a 7.63 (30 Mauser) or 9mm luger. I I have never heard any complaints in the combat of the time indicating a lack of confidence in these loading or weapons for that period. My concern would be the thickness of heavy winter clothing, belts, bandoleers, and other equipment that might stop or deflect the very slow and underpowered .455. The heavier black powder loads for balloon cases in .45 colt cartridge of about 40 grain of black powder with the 7.5 inch barrel were in excess of 900 fps. In india or africa shooting lightly clothed and thin men obviously presented no problem for the .455. Lightly armored Philippinos did cause our military some problems with the .38 long colt.
    Brits very quickly when it became available purchased for WWII as many browning HP in 9mm as they could. For war I want penetration and lots of bullets in the mag. For my house or neighborhood I want a shotgun loaded with the smaller buckshot sizes relative to penetration.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Actually it was the "hopped up on bhang Filipinos" that caused problems with the 38LC.