Best "National Disaster" Guns to get at a Gun Show?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by drivebyrachko, Aug 14, 2010.

1. drivebyrachko

drivebyrachko New Member

So I want to buy a "just in case civilization collapses" weapon, not that I plan on it happening, I just want to be sure that I can protect myself. There's a gun show coming up in Portland OR and I'm wondering what people think I should buy. My criteria are that it be only $100-$300, reliable, accurate, and versatile. Right now I'm considering the Mosin Nagant 91/30 or some sort of AK47. Also, what should I look for at a gun show to know I'm getting a decent deal and not some frankenstein weapon?
    Thanks.
  2. FrederickD.

FrederickD. New Member

A nice 12 gauge shotgun would, in my opinion, be your best bet. A Mosin Nagant 91/30, again in my opinion, would be just about the worse gun for your purpose.
  3. drivebyrachko

drivebyrachko New Member

Why would the 9130 be a bad idea then?
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Shotgun would be versatile, inexpensive, good for close range. Rifles are better for long range.
  5. drivebyrachko

drivebyrachko New Member

What are my medium range options then?
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Well, a good 12 gauge can be found in any price range. I paid quite a lot for mine, but I use it for sporting clays. I've got plenty of semi-autos and revolvers available for zombies and such. :D

No, seriously. I use an old Remington 1100 12 gauge for home defense.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  7. drivebyrachko

drivebyrachko New Member

Compelling, is there any chance of me being able to find a GOOD AK for at or less than $250?
  8. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Used, probably. I don't have any AK types so I'm not sure what the going rates are.

The Mosins in my collection were under $100, they are great rifles.
  9. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

You could find an SKS for less than $250.
    A shootable AK would $450 or more.
    Hard to beat a 12g for self defense. A used
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 would fit
    into your price range, be easy to use and
    cheap to feed.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Pre-Obama, an SKS was around 100, 150, while an AK was 300 to 400. After the election, SKS was at least three, while a beater AK was six or more. Prices have come down, some, but I doubt you'll find an AK of any shape for less than four and a half, and one would probably cost quite a bit more.

You got short range - out to maybe 75 yards. Got medium range - out to maybe 250 or 300 yards. And you got long range - 600 yards and beyond. I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I can't see 600 yards, so I don't worry about that one.

You can get a decent shotgun for 300 or less, if you look around. That would do for short range. Medium range, in your price range, is an SKS or a used Mini 14. Another possibility would be a lever in 30/30. Marlin would be cheaper than a Winchester, since they quit making the Winchester so everybody thinks theirs is now a valuable collector's item, and wants beau coup money for it. 30/30 is ballistically the same as the 7.62x39. You'd have a 6-shot, fairly speedy action. Not as quick to reload, but then, you can top off the magazine before it's empty (can't do that with a box mag).
  11. drivebyrachko

drivebyrachko New Member

I like the idea of an SKS, you're confident I can find one for under $350? Looking online none are less than $320... how about my options in terms of reliability and ammo costs? How do the 91/30, AK, SKS, and Shotguns compare?
  12. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Shotguns are reliable. Anything semi-automatic can have problems for various reasons. My 91/30 has never given me problems, but I haven't put more than a few hundred rounds through it yet. Surplus rifles are pretty much broken in already. I bought 880 rounds of surplus 7.62x54 ammo, about as cheap as you can get at $190. Still, in my mind, self-defense is at close range, I use rifles to develop skill.

Check online gun auction sites for SKS prices, too. Gunsamerica.com is one I check.
  13. drivebyrachko

drivebyrachko New Member

So for prices, where do you think I ought to look for these guns? Online, stores, shows?
  14. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

It sounds as if you aren't too knowledgeable about firearms, if I was you I would not buy one at a gun show. I would buy it at a place that i know I can take it back in case it is faulty.

You can get the Mosin Nagant 91/30 at most gun shops for around $100.

But...

When i want to buy a gun I go to able's and window shop.
    There is a huge selection there and if there is something you like, for a modest fee your local gun dealer can get it delivered to them.
    But the reason I go there, I can price the rifle and know about what I want beforehand.

Marlin has some bolt action rifles for around $350.

Savage has some for about the same price, and Savage has a great reputation for being accurate.

When I bought my Howa I shopped that site then went out to all the gun shops within 100 miles to get the best deal. My rifle cost $100 more than the $350 rifles above, but IMO, it was the best rifle for the money.

I see 30-30 lever action Mossburg and Marlins for around $400. Which might be the best all around rifle to get.

I would feel half naked if I didn't have both a rifle and a pistol.
  15. drivebyrachko

drivebyrachko New Member

That is a good point you bring up about the shows, I suppose someone could pawn off a lemon of a gun there, I think I'll cruise through some gun shops just to see what they've got, and get a better idea there.
  16. obxned

obxned New Member

Whatever you buy, it is just an expensive club without enough ammo. Shotguns are handy, both for keeping you fed and keeping the zombies off your porch, but the cost of ammo is high. Buckshot is 75 cents to a dollar a round. Better to buy a cheap, used single shot shotgun and some bird shot to put food on the table and buy something else for defense.

An SKS doesn't cost that much more than a cheap shotgun, and 7.62x39 ammo is fairly inexpensive, about 25 to 30 cents a round.

Don't discount the Mosin-Nagant just because it is bolt-action. They are cheap enough that you could buy 2 or 3 for the same money as a shotgun or SKS. Ammo is also cheap, about 23 cents a round. You could equip the entire family without taking out a second mortgage.

Personally, I like having an AK handy. A decent AK will cost between $350 and $450. Not cheap, but worth its weight in gold if the world goes nuts. You might give some thought to an AK-74, Russia's answer to our 5.56 M-16. Good surplus Russian 5.45x39 ammo is about 13 cents a round.

Now, go buy something, anything, and a bunch of ammo. Even a .22 in hand now is better than the gun you are planning on buying later.
  17. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    as obxned said,even a 22.i would dif buy a good 22 bolt action rifle.they are solid and dependable.you can buy 500 rounds of 22s for the price of forty center fire cartridges.it seems that you are not real familiar with firearms or you would not ask the questions.i think for the money you can but 4 or 5000 rounds of 22s and a good bolt gun for less than four hundred and still carry it if needed.also practice makes perfect.how much ammo do you want to buy to be proficient with any centerfire. old semperfi
  18. drivebyrachko

drivebyrachko New Member

Well, I do know enough about firearms, however, I am trying to get unbiased advice from those with way more knowledge than myself. But judging from what you have been saying, it sounds like a Mosin Nagant would be great for range and defense but the ammo is cheap too so I could stockpile. Then also it sounds like a cheap shotgun for close range and small game.
  19. OldLincoln

OldLincoln New Member

I may be wrong, but what do the survivalists rate as the top issues to be concerned about? Is it food/water/shelter? Or is it gasoline/zombies? What you need depends on what you do with it. I'd hate to have to walk 100 miles lugging 100lbs of guns and ammo but not have toilet paper.

Think it through before you buy anything.
  20. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

It really goes without saying that you'll need food, shelter and water.
    It also goes without saying, you'll need to insure you are able to keep your, food, shelter and water.
    Everyone should be prepared for probable occurrences; and in the case of "civilization collapses", violence is pretty probable.