Best "National Disaster" Guns to get at a Gun Show?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by drivebyrachko, Aug 14, 2010.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

you need to reliably feed and operate any weapon you need for such a eventuality
    so you either have access to a stash or your own as such
    and as others have pointed out you need food water and shelter

carrying all you need is not possible maybe if there was 50 of you

carrying what you need to get you to a place that has everything is different

try that for a thought ..

how many for how long etc etc etc

cheers
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Since its a gun show you might want borrow an extra $50 or so and pick up a couple of M-4's , Tommy gun and a couple of Stens, they are dated but still good for keeping Nazi zombies at bay. For an extra $200 you should be able to get one of those Barrett 50 caliber anti aircraft guns before they get outlawed, oh wait, don't worry we still have the gun show loophole working for us.

Just between you and me any shotgun 20 or 12 gauge that looks good and/or any rifle that looks good will be usable. Might not be the absolute best for every purpose but we adjust and make do with what we got and I like the idea of spending more on ammo than on the price of the gun. Can't hardly beat a lever action in most any centerfire caliber and a pump action shotgun in almost any gauge for all around use. It really makes it easier if you aren't brand or caliber snobs, it opens up a lot of options to you.
  3. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My first choice would be a 22 of some sort, probably a bolt action just to keep it simple. Then I would get a 12 gauge pump.
  4. zb338

zb338 New Member

You obviously want a rifle even though home defence is better
    accomplished with a pistol or a shotgun. If that's what you
    want just buy one. I'm sure you could pick up a good SKS for
    the amount of money you have to spend, and you can defend
    your home with it. They go off when you pull the trigger and
    they make a really loud bang. They also put holes in things.
    Maybe, if everything is lined up right, a couple of houses.
    Zeke
  5. doug66

doug66 New Member

12 ga repeater of some sort.
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

If you are worrying about a national collapse, then you probably shouldnt be too concerned about the budget. You should be buying an assortment of weapons such as a 12 ga. with mucho ammo, handguns, a rifle for long range all with much ammo. Might want to consider the other needs such as salt, toilet paper, this and that and the list goes on. If there is a collapse, those with the mostest will survive. $300 will not provide you with the security you will want. Just my thoughts. I am never prepared no matter how much stuff I got.
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I might add...

The actual gun I bought explicitly for "[when] civilization collapses" is the Pietta reproduction of a Remington 1858 New Model Army revolver. I also bought molds for making round balls.

I plan on getting a .50 cal muzzle-loading rifle sometime down the road; along with a mold for conical bullets.

I've also researched on making my own black powder.

Just a thought.
  8. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

What do you have already that you can sell to raise $$$ to buy what you REALLY need? Cuz, your criteria is too limiting, and your $$$ limit is too LOW, for collapse preps.

You are correct in your assessment that a collapse is possible, except now, it's not just possible, it's likely. And it's likely soon.

Free up some more money and prepare properly, especially if you've got a family.

Food first (6-12 months worth) - you can rotate through this stuff - all stuff you regularly eat. Start buying canned goods (good for 2 years and more - check the dates) every time you shop - buy extra and shelve them. When you eat it, replace it.

Water next - get yourself a decent water filter - $200-$300. Katadyn or Berkey are both good names. Clean drinking water is essential. Buy extra filters.

Guns - get yourself a 12 ga shotgun - best all around weapon. You can get one for $250 or less, used. Then look at a rifle - maybe start with a good .22, but if you must have more of a battle rifle "on a budget" buy an SKS. Reliable, and ammo is plentiful and cheap. 500 rounds minimum for each gun. 1,000 would be better.

Silver - get yourself some 1 ounce silver rounds / coins. Trade some fiat dollars for some real wealth - do your own due diligence here, but, precious metals are INSURANCE against the dollar tanking. And it's tanking - and it can go to ZERO. Precious metals do NOT. They are NOT an investment, they are money, they are insurance.

These are the basics. You can probably do it all for $2,000 or less - but if you're serious, this is what you should do for BASIC preparation.

The truth is, you're never totally prepared. Good luck.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Forget the gun show. Go to a local dealer and buy a shotgun. Then buy a short barrel for it. You now have a short range weapon, as well as an intermediate weapon. The short barrel will work well as a SD weapon, and the long barrel will work well to put meat on the table. It will take birds, and other small game, as well as large game such as deer, and black bear. This set up is the best there is for your needs, and buy lots of ammo! Remember that if the economey does colapse we will be in a barter type situation for a while. We will be trading chickins for pigs, etc. Or maybe bullets for chickens!
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

id go 12 gauge. i've seen winchester remington and mossbergs all for 200 in good shooting shape.

gunshows gouge you, i'd check the lock gun/pawn shops.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Plus you gotta pay $10 to get in the door!
  12. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

mhmmm, last one i went to insisted i unload all of my guns and leave the ammo at the security booth... bullcrap! i bet she people selling were strapped.
  13. whirley

whirley New Member

National disaster?...You'll have to be able to eat using your firearm. A shotgun is most logical, 12 gauge peferred. Used shotguns are cheap, old used doubles in my area, good condition, less than $200. Ammo about 5.00 for a box of 25. For self defense, even your wife and kids can use it. Point and shoot. A rifle requires practice. Try shooting a duck or a rabbit with your AK-47, all you'll have is the head and tail. Like using a 16 inch naval rifle to take out a VW Bug. Self defense? Believe me, nothing is more intimidating than looking at the muzzle of a 12 gauge shotgun, held by a very nervous woman. Under that circumstance, you feel as if you can walk inside those barrels without stooping. Ammo available from slugs and 00 buckshot, good for deer or bear, down through various shot sizes from turkeys and geese to quail. I have taken deer with a rifled slug at about 100 yards. No tracking necessary. If I were limited to one gun, a 12 gauge, preferably a double for simplicity and a fast second shot would be my first choice.
  14. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

I'd suggest that you get some training on rifles, buy some dvds from different source on how to tactically use rifles and read some books. Then I would suggest that you possibly consider getting a decent AK rifle that shoots the 5.45 by 39 cartridge. Practice with that rifle and get to know it really well. Once you've got that rifle down with the iron or metal sights, then think about getting a scope for it. With the system I describe, you are NOT trying to turn an AK into a sniper rifle. What you're doing is enhancing the overall accuracy of your rifle and probably obtain a bit more usable distance from it. The 5.45 by 39 rifle and ammo is a good place to start for a new shooter. It has a mild recoil and the ammo is cheaper than it is for most other center fire rifles. You can by a little over 1K rounds for under $200.00 right now and, if you get it in the spam cans, you can store it for long amounts of time.
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I just saw this thread rather late and didn't read through all the comments, but thought I'd give you a web site that has some pretty reasonable prices on a variety of surplus weapons.

I've never bought anything from them, but their prices seem as good as they get, and they sound like a pretty honest outfit. I wont offer any suggestions as I think most have given you enough ideas to chew on. I will say that I've heard many people say if they could only choose one weapon in a survival situation, it would be an AK.

http://www.classicarms.us/
  16. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

Another thought...If the intruders in your HD scenario are wearing vests, you'll probably want to reach for a rifle. Drug gang members are already showing up dressed this way in this part of the country (AZ).