Best Pistol for Women

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by msqueen3999, Jul 31, 2011.

1. msqueen3999

msqueen3999 New Member

I am looking to purchase a pistol that I can carry daily in a purse. I currently have a .380 but it just to heavy. Im looking at several things.

1- Weight- I really need something light weight that will be easy to carry
    2- Recoil- I am a really small woman therefore recoil is big factor.
    3- Power- I really dont want something along the lines of a .22 cal I want something that If I need to use it will take care of the problem and not just make someone mad.
    4- Distance- Im looking for something that will be accurate for more of a arms length.

I have looked at the S&W ultralight 38cal but have been told it may not be a comfortable gun to shoot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

try the kimber line of small carry pistols. In 38 cal should fit your demands. look online then go to a range that rents guns and test away! good luck, and dont forget to have a carry permit lol.
  3. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

oops how rude of me , sorry .Welcome to TFF! Ps you could try 32 cal.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  4. msqueen3999

msqueen3999 New Member

Thank you for the quick relpy, welcome, and info. I will look into the kimber line. Any other suggestions out there???
  5. Juker

Juker New Member

Hello, and welcome! You'll get plenty of responses once the members see this thread; carry guns for women are a popular topic here.

You say your .380 is too heavy; what pistol do you have currently?
  6. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Recently got my wife the S&W Bodyguard .38. I really like it myself and the wife was not bothered by std. loads. She prefers the simplicity of a revolver to the semi's. Daughter just acquired my S&W 638 because she was uncomfortable with a Bersa .380 semi. Try all the variations you can.
  7. Jay

Jay New Member

Welcome to TFF...

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin'....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
  8. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I carry a J-frame Smith & Wesson (.38 Special) revolver with a 3" barrel strapped directly onto my body. Small, light and powerful, and anyone would have a devil of a time getting it away from me if they knew I had it. The 3" barrel allows for comfortable target practice, yet it conceals well. I prefer holster carry and this is an ideal size for me. The .38 Special or .40S&W are my preferred carry calibers.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Welcome aboard msqueen. I am curious what .380 is too heavy. Honestly I wouldn't go any smaller caliberwise. I would think something like a Bersa .380 would fit nicely in a purse and not be too weighy. There are any number of relatively small and light .380's out there and I wouldn't risk my life relying on less.

Here's my concern though; you understand in any given caliber generally the lighter you go in frame weight the stonger the felt recoil. Not always true because some handguns just have a better fit and feel and produce less perceived recoil than others. But just keep in mind that the smaller and lighter the handgun is, the more you will feel the recoil.

I'm going to disagree with Jay just a bit although he offered what is generally sound advice. My suggestion to you is...get used to the recoil of the .380. One technique that might work for you is to go shooting with someone that has several different stronger calibers. No I wouldn't recommend any magnums. But I think it might help for you to step outside your comfort zone a bit and practice a lot with a stronger caliber. Then try shooting the .380 again and see if the recoil still feels too much. I'm willing to bet you'd find it manageable.
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

My suggestion is the Keltec P32. I pocket carry one, my wife carries one, and my daughter carries one. Very easy to shoot.
  11. msqueen3999

msqueen3999 New Member

I think I gave you wrong info, I have a Bersa .380, I love to shoot it, there is very little recoil. It is not too bad to carry, but the new S&W ultralight is so much lighter. I had a 9mm it was not my favorite because it had a large grip on it, but someone else wanted it more than I did. I have to replace my pistol along with my rifles but I'm not sure what pistol I want. I am not a new shooter, just small framed with small hands. My hunting guns are all youth size and they fit nicely. There is really no place around here to rent and shoot guns, therefore, I'm looking for ideas then may cn find someone locally I can borrow it
    from before I buy and don't like. I really appreciate all the ideas and will research all of them. I really don't want to go smaller than a .380.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally think the S&W bodyguards will fit you nicely. They have a Bodyguard .38 spec revolver as well as a bodyguard .380ACP pistol and both come standard with laser sights already installed..

My secondary recommendation would be a Walther PK380, roughly the same size as the P22, but chambered in .380 and a tad lighter than the bersa, but still comparable in power and feel.

Ill also offer a tertiary recommendation, Look into a Keltec P3AT or a P32, both are the exact same gun, one chambered in .380 (3AT) and the other in .32ACP (P32). They are about as small and light as you can get without going with a derringer..
  13. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I like the feel of the lcr and lcp from ruger, but they're too small for me. Well, the lcp anyways
  14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Well, where is local for you? We have members coast to coast in the U.S., and many more internationally. You may just find that one of us is in your general area. :)
  15. Infidel

Infidel New Member

I recommend a Beretta .32 Bobcat. Bought one for the wife, she got mad at me and wanted a Kimber .45. She got a crimson carry ultra and I kept the Bob for awile and carried it in a pocket holster in my shorts. Was super light and handy when I didn't want to tote the hog.

Super good gun, like the features like the tip up barrel and mag cap.