Best pistol?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Brian 11B, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Brian 11B

Brian 11B New Member

I Vaguely know the difference between rim fire and center fire, but I've noticed most semiautomatic pistols are center fire. I've only ever shot the glock and "the judge" revolver, whatever that may be. I definitely enjoyed the glock but i have nothing to compare it to of its class.

First let me state the plan of use for the pistol. Well the obvious would be for home defense. Something reliable that I can trust with the right ammo. I want something that i can take to the range and provide accurate shot groups, and shoot multiple targets in a time efficient manner and accurately, soo low recoil.

My first set of questions would be, what caliber would you consider the most accurate? most powerful? least expensive? and which round would you consider to be the ideal round for all three traits put together? I myself believe its more about the placement of the shot, and the follow up shot then how powerful the shot is. So accuracy and cost would be top priority for me.

Second set would be which pistol would you recommend for range shooting for quickly being able to follow up accurate shots(low recoil)? I dont want a gun that blows my arm up and i have to completely find my sight picture again lol. I like the glock, but their are like 30 different kinds to choose from lol. I have also heard a few of you mention how you like the XD better, (Springfield XD im assuming?) Which pistol do you think will fit it best? Are there any other pistols that you would recommend? I'm currently not to much of a 1911 fan lol. Maybe its because of my inexperience, and will later grow on me, but currently that's a no-go for me lol.

I guess i wont overload the questions or alot will go unanswered! I appreciate any response at all, Thank you very much for reading/helping me!
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Your first question, caliber, is easy - go with a 9mm as it's the cheapest to shoot and there is a wide range of loads available from plinking to self defense. As for the "best" pistol - very subjective and there is no one answer. I've owned MANY pistols over the years and there are some I like and some I don't. The odds of you liking the same things I do are probably pretty small as what makes us like a gun is very subjective. For example, while Glocks are rugged guns, the grip doesn't work for me at all. I've owned a number of XDs and they are decent - but I prefer the later model S&W M&Ps with no mag safety.

My opinion is the "best" all around 9mm out there is the Sig P228, found mine online (a CPO) for just a tad over $500...

[​IMG]
  3. Juker

Juker New Member

Perfect answer, NGIB.

Brian, combine a few gun show/gun shop visits with some online reading, while remembering we all have our personal faves. It has to work for YOU.

And from one 11B to another, ain't nuthin like a 1911. :D
  4. Brian 11B

Brian 11B New Member

Thank you I appreciate the help, I was kinda hoping that 9mm would turn out on top to be honest haha. As for pistols i was just kinda hoping you could tell a difference in the accuracy and recoil of the pistols?
  5. Brian 11B

Brian 11B New Member

haha I figured the 1911 would come up :p It's just not for me YET. I'm currently in Egypt so I dont think i want to go to any Gun Shows here, they are prolly different then the American gun shows :p
  6. Brian 11B

Brian 11B New Member

also any thoughts on the USP 9?
  7. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Home defense? Shotgun. If you ever have to pull the trigger to protect yourself, you wont even remember the recoil.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

>My first set of questions would be, what caliber would you consider the most accurate?< 44 Special, followed by 38 Special, 32 S&W Long, 45 ACP and 22 Long Rifle. 9mm Luger is not even in the running. It can be made accurate, but the round is generally not.

>most powerful?< That I've shot? 454 Casull. There are others out there now that are more powerful, but they are kinda rare and really expensive. Most powerful that a normal person might pick up? 44 Magnum.

>least expensive?< 22 Long Rifle, followed by 9mm Luger, then 38 Special, then 45 ACP and/or 40 S&W

>and which round would you consider to be the ideal round for all three traits put together?< 45 ACP. It's extremely accurate, fairly powerful, and (compared to many others) quite cheap

>Second set would be which pistol would you recommend for range shooting for quickly being able to follow up accurate shots(low recoil)?< Smith and Wesson 686 with a 4" barrel. L-frame 357 magnum. Shoot 38 Special wadcutters in it all day without hurting your wrist at all, or your wallet very much (less if you reload). Extremely accurate, extremely low recoil. Put 357s in it and you have a very powerful defense gun.
  9. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

The Sig previously mentioned is an awsome choice. Even in 40 caliber the Sig is extremely accurate and easy to control... more so than pretty much ANY of the polymer guns out there IMHO. You will pay more for the Sig, especially if you buy new, but you wouldn't regret your choice.

In the polymer line of pistols, I really like the M&P series from Smith, though I have heard a lot of good things about the Ruger SR9. I just haven't had a chance to handle or shoot the Ruger.

What I would recommend is that you just go shoot as many different types of pistols as you can get your hands on. If you have a range that rents firearms go try several out. What fits me well may not fit you at all.
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

If it were me, I'd pusue a 9mm or a .45.

The XDm is one pistol I've always wanted. But don't turn your head on the 1911. Nothing like that light, single-action trigger.

If you want the BEST in terms of accuracy and quality, go for an HK.
  11. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

For your requests I'd have to pick a 9MM and probably a Browning. That being said, everyone's a little different so check the gun shows out and some of the moderate size synthetics. Our choices are getting pretty varied which is nice. Same answer as Jukes but a little longer. Just give me any of my 1911's with Pachmayr grips and I'll be happy!
  12. savage170

savage170 Member

Of all my 9mm I like the cz 75 and Browning Hi-Powers the best but beings as they are steel guns they are not my first choice in a carry gun. If I carry a 9mm. It is usuaully my Springfield XD sub compact or Ruger SR9c
  13. Brian 11B

Brian 11B New Member

thank you for everyones advice, im soaking it in i promise! lol, As for the recoil thing, the only reason i want low recoil is for a quick accurate follow up shot. My wrists are the least of my worries lol. I just would rather put two consecutive bullets threw a bullseye in seconds and not have to readjust anyway thanks for the advice im off to bed, i just finished my 12 hour ECP shift
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  14. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Allow me to apologize for my fellow board members. It is widely known among savvy shooters that there really is NO choice but the Gen. 3 Glock 19, if the grip fits you. If you have larger hands, it's the Gen. 3 Glock 17. Both have been very well proven to be the utmost dependable and long lived handguns available to mortal men.
    The only test needed is to determine which fits you best, and then buy it. Both accept the factory 33 round magazines, if that floats your boat. Once you have either or both guns, you will spend a short while comparing them to others on the market, but you will soon realize that you have THE gun, and move on to other pressing concerns.
  15. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

UUUMM...I must not be very savvy! its a well known fact that revolvers have been around far longer than your glocks. true a few less rounds but if i need 33 rounds :eek:, i think i would rather have a machine gun anyways!

Yes i perfer revolvers, but wont turn away fron any other weapon if it fits my hand!