Best pistol?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Brian 11B, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Steam engines have been around much longer as well, but we have moved along to jets....
    There's a sensible pattern there. Where we have failed was in our complete absorption with the AR rifle platform, when the AK remains the best in that category.
  2. Brian 11B

Brian 11B New Member

i completely disagree, I'm in the US infantry and I dont know a single person in my unit who would prefer the AK. Its inaccurate, not very customizable, and no where near tactical in my opinion. The only reason i would ever agree with someone saying AK is best in the class, is if you are looking at cost and durability to the cheapest way possible. But even then, ay gun you can buy for $25 will win the class..... I've shot thousands (litterally) of rounds out of my M4, and i have NEVER had an actual jam. (i take that back, they gave us dummy rounds back in basic so we could learn how to fix a jam, but they weren't meant to fire).
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Brian, first I want to welcome you to the forum, and thank you for your service! It is generally agreed that under presure, in a gun fight, you won't see a sight picture. No target shooting here. Most experts teach front sight, front sight, front sight! These experts teach move, and shoot, shoot, and move. It will up close, and personal! They tell us that we will get tunnel vision, and lose all of our fine motor skills. Hits will come as fast as you can pull the trigger, but they may not be bullseyes. All you are supposed to see is the BG, and the front sight. IMHO, any caliber would work as long as it is .380, and up. Good luck in finding that best pistol! I personally like the larger calibers because they are a little more forgiving if the shot is not a perfect hit. God forbid that I ever have to shoot someone, but if I do, I will fire untill the threat goes away, or I run out of ammo!
  4. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

You know I did not even need to read your whole post, because despite how corny it sounds, the best pistol, is the one you enjoy shooting.

I tell this story every time people ask me for any sort of gun-buying advise.

My dad has been a police officer my entire life, and I grew up shooting his Glock. I knew when I turned 21 I was buying a Glock, just no doubt about it. When I joined a range while I was at Uni they gave me five free rentals. One of the first I rented was a Springfield XD, and golly did I love that gun. Still do. I performed so much better with that than any Glock- despite the history of shooting the Glock, and the similarities between the weapon. It was I believe my fifth and final rental that, for giggles, I ended up with their .45 USP.

I fell in love instantly. I knew I wanted a 9mm because I intended to shoot regularly, on a uni-student budget, and despite not shooting the USP nearly as well as the XD, I loved what it had to offer. I loved the look, the feel in my hand, and most importantly I loved the combination of the de-cocker and safety.

I spent about eight years knowing I would buy a Glock, within a month that had changed radically. Get out there and shoot some different handguns, the very fact that there is so much available proves there is no one best handgun!
  5. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I have to go with 45. my Ruger is out friggin standing for so many reasons but most of all it comes right back to sight when fired. Ruger has the 9mm thats the same way from what i was told by my dealer. A 45 even on a wing shot will spin em around and do enough damage to slow em way down.
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

Caliber doesn't count until AFTER you hit your target. Start small and get the fundamentals right, and you can shoot any caliber.

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....
  7. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

have you looked at the EAA Witness line of pistols? They make a very good rendition of the CZ 75, one of the all time great guns. And the price is excellent. Stay away from plastic guns, they will melt in the Egyptian sun.:D
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Jay, good advice! I relate to motorcycles, I have seen many men go out, and buy a new bike, ride it home, and then offer the wife a ride. They haul butt, and scare the wife half to death, and then wonder why their wives will not ride with them on group rides!
  9. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

10. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

your right on jay, but my thought was hes military and should have already shot 9mm or 45 my bad was not saying practice makes perfect
  11. Brian 11B

Brian 11B New Member

yeah i have shot a glock 9mil but that is it. In the army the only time you will get a pistol is if your an officer, medic, or 240Bravo gunner lol. I have begged to shoot with the pistol as i did pretty decently the one time i shot out with some friends. That was good advise on starting slow. Trust me when i say i read ALL the posts and i consider them all deeply. The Egyptian sun melting the pistol i found hilarious. it has been extremely hot out here recently, but form what i hear its like that in America currently as well lol. I guess my biggest disadvantage so far is i keep hearing "go to a gun show and get the feel".. well i have never been to a gun show, nor can i for a few months. Even when i do get back, i cant ever remember a time where we had a gun show were we lived. Hopefully i can find some though. It seems like the pistols that are in my view that i would like to get the best view on is the; glock, XD, M&P, and possibly the USP (but the price turns me off on that its around a thousand dollars right?)
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Brian, the m&ps are under 500 the xdms are under 600 the glocks are under 500 all new. Used prices much better.
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Those HK pistols (the USP you mentioned, though I'm a real fan of the P30L) are very, very nice. But I don't own one, and it is solely because of the price tag.

Glocks, XDs, and M&Ps are all nice handguns, but they're all rather similar. You may want to take a look at some other options that will give you a bit more variety, including pistols from CZ, SIG, and Beretta. I'm not necessarily trying to point you away from polymer frames and toward steel (I have and love both), but it's something you need to decided for yourself.
  14. Brian 11B

Brian 11B New Member

yeah im not to big of a fan of the SIG look, the CZ is arlgiht, but from what i hear in the military everyone bitches about the Berretta so i dont know how much i would want that lol
  15. jonboyc

jonboyc New Member

As people have said on here, there is no BEST pistol. Every person can have a different answer. For me, I prefer the 9mm also, in compact/subcompact guns the recoil from .40's and .45's is just too much for me to be as accurate as I want to be(although I have a small .40 that I can rapid fire and do fairly well with). That being said, with the larger pistol(full size 1911) I prefer the .45. I can rapid fire a Kimber Tactical II and be extremely accurate with it but it's just too big to carry. My advice would be to find a gun range(once you get back to the US, assuming that's your intention)that rents guns and try out a few. My local gun range will let me swap out as many guns as I want for 10 bucks an hour. So essentially I can spend 10 minutes with 6 different guns.