Best pistol?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Brian 11B, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jonboyc

jonboyc New Member

I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with the Berretta. Not sure why everyone would be bitching, it's a damn fine pistol.
  2. Juker

Juker New Member

3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

jonboyc,
    Both of my nephews are/were Jarheads. Both served in Irag - both carried the Beretta because one was heavy weapons expert, other was logistics tech (as he said - "We kick **** out of helicopters for the doggies on the ground.) Both tell stories of how ineffective the 9x19mm 124 FMJ NATO round is in providing quick stops.
    I, myself, for special occasions was blessed with the opportunity to carry the 1911A1 while in the ARMY in SEAsia - never shot anyone with the .45 - but never heard anyone who did complain about effectiveness of the 230 gr FMJ round.
    Your experience may vary.
  4. jonboyc

jonboyc New Member

Doesn't that say more about the 9x19 than the Beretta?
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Specifically 9x19 FMJ ammo, yes. There are some excellent 9mm JHPs that will consistently open up to .45 inches in diameter or larger.
  6. Ranger 61

Ranger 61 New Member

I would agree with the people that recommend buying what feels best in your hand. Since you don't have much previous experience (fewer things to unlearn :)) what feels good and points good are the best places to start. I would also suggest a look at the steyr. They are accurate and feel good to me (especially the M9A1) but many are put off by the unconventional sights.
    FWIW :cool:
  7. AmmoForSale.com

AmmoForSale.com New Member

I can't say there is a single one best pistol. There is a best pistol for you though, but it will take a lot of shooting to figure out what that is.

From my experience the 1911 style of pistols are the best for me. I feel like I can conceal the slim 1911 as well as some shorter framed firearms. I get the best accuracy due to the trigger and quality of my 1911.

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Powerful, accurate and manageable recoil? I'm thibking .357, but you'd have to go with a revolver.
  9. popgun

popgun New Member

There is allways 357 sig
  10. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Best pistol is one in your price range that appeals to you and you shoot well. If you like the gun and are confident in firing it it is the best pistol.

Caliber depends on how well you handle recoil.

Size depends on if it's Home Defense and Range

Conceal Carry

Or for the pocket