Best plinker pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ZMP_CTR, Feb 15, 2008.

1. ZMP_CTR

ZMP_CTR New Member

Any suggestions as to which plinker pistol I should get?
  2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

It really is a matter of personal preference. I like using .380's and 9mm's because they are easier to fire. I used pistols in the size of Makarovs and PPKs (also used a Nagant revolver). Try holding a few different models or if you go to a range with a gun rental stand/store, try some of their's.

Later, I will decide whether or not I want a Glock 23 or a Walther P99, both feel like winners but it'll wind down to cost. Glock MAY win, but we'll see later this this March (15 or 22) after a give a review on my pistol (freakin' finally, right? :D).
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

For just plinking, I'd look for something that shoots .22lr but is about the same size/shape/weight of one of your other pistols.
    For example, the SIG Mosquito (which I have) is almost the same dimensions as the their P229 (which I'm still saving for).
    But part of that is just that I don't reload, so I'm always looking for a cheap way to get in a lot of shooting.
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

In that case, in a pistol, I'd start with something like a Taurus revolver in .22lr. It'll be hard to find, new, though, because they seemed to discontinue it.

If you where thinking in an auto, Beretta and S&W have some good ones. My bro wants a .22lr Beretta pistol, forgot the name.
  5. ciwsguy

ciwsguy New Member

My 22 plinker is a Walther P22. Yeah, I know. There are alot of naysayers about the slide, brass ejecting every which direction, etc. But if you're looking for a fun, relatively cheap pistol to shoot, take a look. It's a blast to shoot. The Ruger Standard or MK I, II, III are good pistols too, but I find them difficult to reassemble after cleaning. Browning Buckmark is also a very good 22 pistol, I'm told.

My two bits worth.......
  6. jeanp1948

jeanp1948 New Member

I would go with a Heritage six shooter style that shoots .22 LR and a cylinder for .22 mag. Real cheap but shoots well. They are made right here in Florida and have a good warranty. Starts at about $189.00 for the plain Jane.
  7. Texman

Texman New Member

I used to have a Ruger auto the looked like a German Luger,, fun gun big enough frame to hold easily.. See if you can find one and play with it.. Bet you like it..
  8. dusty9

dusty9 Member

I believe any of the Rugers or Buckmarks are the best .22 pistols available today. If you would rather have something a little less expensive but still a good pistol then I would get a S&W 22A or Beretta Neos.

If you are interested in a .22 revolver, the Ruger Single Six is as good as it gets. Ruger also has the Bearcat, a smaller revolver. Taurus also makes several models of .22 revolvers and they generally have a good reputation.

If you want something larger than a .22, then there is a huge number of different pistols and revolvers that would fill the bill.

Give us a little more info on your preferences and we can give you better recommendations and choices.
  9. Taurus_9mm

Taurus_9mm New Member

A Ruger MK III 22/45 or a Taurus M94 9-shot revolver. :D If you want to step it up to a 9mm and not have to fork out a lot of $$, the Ruger P95s and Taurus PT92s can generally be had NIB for under $400.

www.taurusarmed.net www.rugerforum.net
  10. ZMP_CTR

ZMP_CTR New Member

Thanks for all of the great input. I'll put up a review once I get a plinker.
  11. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I'd second the .22LR idea, 'cause you can get some really accurate guns and shoot 'em like crazy for cheap. And I like the Ruger Mark III, myself, though the blowback action makes it tough to field strip and reassemble (but you can mount a scope on the top of it). I've got the 7" blued target model, with a 4X32 Weaver scope on top.

Smith & Wesson makes a nice 10-shot .22LR revolver, the model 617, in 6" and 4", and a 8-shot J-frames, the models 317 and 63. They make a bunch of semiauto's too,

If you're interested in shooting all day without any heat-warpage problems, get something with a bull barrel.
  12. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Don't overlook plinking atleast some with your carry/defense piece:D No better way to enjoy learning your fighting gun than kicking cans across a field or busting balloons off a fence line or simple stuff like that with cheap ammo. Pinecones are cheap targets too:)
  13. Oppy

Oppy New Member

My Ruger Mark II is about 18 years old. A fun plinker that is very accurate and inexpensive to shoot. Can really work on your mechanics and blow through a box for a fraction of larger rounds. Now breaking down and putting it back together is a bit of a struggle. That, I guess, is the one downside.
  14. justdoug

justdoug New Member

Yeah, what he said.
  15. RIPBiker13

RIPBiker13 New Member

I had a Wather P22 and I wasn't happy at all with it. It looked great and was a BLAST to shoot but it DOES eject brass in every direction. Didn't bother me too much but I couldn't find ammo it liked. On the same token, a friend has one and he has had no trouble with it.

I sold it and purchased a Browning Buckmark. I LOVE it!
    [​IMG]