Best Post WWII American fighter aircraft

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, Aug 26, 2006.

?

Best Post WWII American Fighter Aircraft

1. F-86 Sabre

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. F-104 Starfighter

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. F-4 Phantom

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. F-15 Eagle

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  1. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I can't think of a better candidate than the F-4 Phantom.

We're still thinking of interesting things for it to do. Not many 40 year old fighters still having the military figuring out uses for it.

My dad was a commercial pilot & we used to go to any airshow within 1000 miles & my favorite part was always the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds. When they went to newer fighters & I was told about the "better" performance of the newer planes I was still a little disapointed. I watched the fisrt F-16 I ever saw take off & head straight up out of sight at 50,000 feet & that was nice. But I missed the good old F-4s. THEY WERE LOUDER!!!:)
  2. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

It's a little tough to debate this since there are only four choices on the poll and each of the aircraft is from a different generation of fighters. A bit like saying "Which was the better warship: the Constitution, the Monitor, the Iowa class or the Ticonderoga class?"
  3. I see your point, Lurpy, but if you read the original thread starting post, the intention was to consider each within the context of its own time frame, not compared to each other directly. ;)

On an overall basis, Pop, I think your argument is a good one. The Phantom was designed to be a multipurpose aircraft and it performed that role quite well indeed. Few aircraft have ever been designed that were truly efficient in both air-to-air combat and use as bomb trucks for air-to-mud strike. One that does come to mind though, is the old P-47 of WWII fame.
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Agreed

The P-47 did so much of the actual workhorse work of the time. If there hadn't been a P-51 we'd all think of the P-47 as the capable fighter it is. We might even think of it as a sexy plane.

One of your other candidates-the F-15 is one heck of a fighter. We have a group of F-16s here in Utah at Hill AFB & I always thought of the F-16 as the fast, tight-turning hot rod of the sky & the F-15 as a big straight line flying cumbersome thing. That was till I went to an airshow in Wendover Nevada one day & saw a pilot tearing up the sky with one. They turn way tight & have super acceleration for a fighter of any size. I was amazed at the performance of the F-15.
  5. williamd

williamd New Member

F-86 was great for its day. But, look at service time and versatiltiy and I ahve to ask why the F-14, F-16 and F-18 are not on the list??

USAF is not the only fighter fliers .... they are just first to the O' Club at days end.:p

Better pilots are as key as better aircraft. Probably more so.