Best powder for 220 Swift?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by brkncly, Jun 13, 2009.

1. brkncly

brkncly New Member

What is the best powder for 220 Swift? Just curious what you 220 reloaders are using for your 220 Swift? Don't what to buy a bunch of different kind of powders, just trying to narrow which ones to work with. I'll be using a 50grain bullet if that helps. Thanks!
  2. GBertolet

GBertolet Member

I have a Ruger 77 swift, late 1970's vintage. I've used IMR 4064 and WW760 with good results. I think Varget might be a good choice also. They say it's the same as, or very close to 4064. I may try to work something up with that when I get a chance. I have been using the 50 to 53 gr bullets, and I may try going lighter. And I load the swift hot! I want the explosive impact that high velocity gives on woodchucks. I didn't buy it to download. The swift has had a reputation of being hard on barrels, throat erosion in particular. I think the newer steels are better than the older stuff that was around then this tale was prominent. If you burn a lot of powder and have a lot of fun, all things considered, a new barrel is not that expensive. Still the more powder burned the more heat is generated, the more erosion. This is true with any gun.
  3. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Even if you need a new barrel, that's like buying a whole new gun. ;)