Best powder for .44 Remington Magnum

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by streetbob, Feb 10, 2013.

1. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

Hey Guys,

I just got a Taurus Model 44 6" 44 Mag., I was wondering what would be the cleanest and fastest burning powder for it. I plan to mostly load 200gr Speer GDHP, but will load others.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Several powders are great, but IMO, 2400 is a must have for 44's. I'd recommend working up some loads with it and then trying others based upon your needs.
  3. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

Thanks Woolley, I will be giving it a try!
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My Speer manual shows WIN 296. Min load of 25.5g @ 1562fps, and max load of 27.5f @ 1664 fps. I have shot this and it is a powerful round. That bullet will penetrate a heavy car frame with full expansion, and will still expand in a 3" roast. I know, I did it. Hold on tight though. :D

From the Speer manual, I like using Unique, min 10.5 @ 1212fps, and max 12.5 @ 1392 fps., with that same bullet.

Also, from Alliant website, I like the Laser Cast .430-240g SWC, 7.0g Unique, primers, LP, @ 899 pfs. This is a fun round for sending down range. Recoil is miniml IMO and it is not a powder hog. It is deadly accurate at 100 yards.

Nice caliber you have there. Pics of the gun???
  5. 76Highboy

One thing that I recommend is to stay away from shooting the "Full house" loads too much. The recipe that I gave you for the Laser Cast bullet is a good one because it is easy on the gun. Less recoil = less flinching. Those hot loads are hard on guns and tend to promote flinching.
  6. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

Just to think I started out trading a Kel-Tec P3AT and ended up with this gun!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

7. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

I will try and stay away from the full house loads Highboy. I was thinking of using 44 Specials when I am plinking. Just use the mags when friends want to shoot it :) :) :).
  8. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

My basic .44 magnum load is 20 grains of 2400. It's not quite maxed out and gives great accuracy in the Super Blackhawk.
  9. 76Highboy

Hey street Bob, the 44 spl is a fabulous self defense load. That is one fine looking revolver their bud. :D
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I load two different powders for the .44Mag. The first one is AA #9. I like it because it takes so little of it to do the job, but they are not full Magnum loads. To get the most out of a .44Mag try some Win 296. 23.5 grains of Win 296 will push a 265 grain bullet to speeds of over 1,400fps. Hold on to that gun!
  11. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

i tried all the classics, No9, 2400, etc., but the best for my S&W 629 was VV N105, clean burning efficient powder
  12. mikld

mikld Active Member

Just out of my curosity; what do you consider "clean" and "fast"? And why do you want these qualities? All gun powders burn and leave residue and "fast" powders aren't often recommended for big magnums...
  13. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

The reason I am looking for a clean, fast burning powder is because I want to try to get the best "bang for my buck" on the powder charge. Like we will say the manual calls for a mild charge of 24.1gr of 2400 to push a bullet 1,100 fps and to push the same bullet the same fps of #9 it may only take 18.7gr. That will be 84 more reloads on the same lb of powder. I know these are not true numbers, just an example. As for clean, the old man I traded to get this pistol was telling me that after 50-60 rounds the gun need to be thoroughly cleaned because it starts gunking up.
  14. dammitman

dammitman Member

why would you shoot a 44 magnum and not want it to shoot powerfully? 23 grains of h110 on a 240 grain JHP is good enough for about it. not too tart but not too sweet.
  15. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

I'm just thinking about practice rounds. I will be reloading powerhouses at times, but I don't want to punish myself every time I take it to the range. That's why I am also looking into 44 special rounds. When I find a powder that I like I will make sure it will pull double duty and load for the 44 specials as well. With the scarce reloading components around my neck of the woods I am lucky to find anything about now.
  16. denny 714

denny 714 Member

I always used 2400 Great Stuff !!!.....

Denny G.
  17. mikld

mikld Active Member

Get some Unique. It'll do for mouse-fart loads to upper-mid range. Load 10.0 gr. Unique under a 250 LSWC and you should be satisfied (if not, go to a .454 Mag. or .460). Drop that to 8.0 or 9.0 for some upper range .44 Special loads (check your manuals of course). I've loaded my .44s from 120 gr. balls, single loaded over a bit of W231 to 300 gr. T-Rex killers over heavy W820 loads, all in magnum brass. One of my favorite loads for my 629 is 9.0 gr Unique under a 240 gr cast SWC, plain base (my Ruger SBH and my Dan Wesson 44H get heavier loads when I feel "magnumitus" coming on).

The longest sessions with my .44s are usually 150-200 rounds each and I usually take a revolver and a carbine. And I shoot cast lead in all my magnums but don't ever get "gunked up" guns. Plus I clean after every session, so "dirty" isn't a problem (and I don't wear a white tux to go shooting). Use a powder based on it's preformance, not if it keeps your hands clean...
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  18. dgod1950

dgod1950 New Member

I would recommend 17.3 gr of Bluedot. You should get just over 1600fps, and VERY accurate.

I have loaded THOUSANDS of them, they are extremely accurate.

I wish I could take credit for the load, but I can't because, I got the data from a Custom Load builder in Ft Wayne IN back in the 80's and have used it ever since.

Good Luck,

Dan
  19. GilaDan

GilaDan Member

I like Blue Dot as well. Often use Red Dot for plinking loads. AA#9 is very good too. Had to send my Redhawk in late Jan for a tune-up. Called them today and it has just been released.

Side note to Street Bob: What year model do you have? I have an '08 SB and '07 Softail Custom. Anticipating some warm weather soon.