Best Revolver for CCW

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, Feb 10, 2006.

?

Best Revolver for CCW

1. .38/.357 J-frame snubbies

102 vote(s)
    80.3%
  2. K-frame revolvers with 3" or longer barrels, .38 or .44

19 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Heavy N-frame revolvers like the Smith Mod. 29

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Very small revolvers in sub calibers like the .22

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Overall, what is the best revolver for concealed carry in the opinion of the membership? Please note I'm not talking about caliber here, but rather the pistols themselves. I realize this is a very difficult question to answer definitively because no single weapon will fit all possible concealed carry circumstances, yet I think the question does have a degree of relevance nonetheless. Assume you are a new CCW holder, that you have a good deal of background experience with firearms, and that you have sufficient funds available to purchase pretty much whatever you want. What would you choose as the optimum carry revolver and why? I've set up some common choices in the poll above, but please don't feel limited by those. Also, please limit your responses to revolvers in this thread and note that I have set up a similar one for pistols for those of you who prefer those.
  2. WhiteRhino

WhiteRhino New Member

I like the 340PD. It isn't a particularly fun or comfortable range gun, but it works wonderfully in a pocket holster, SOB holster or ankle holster (for driving).
  3. Familyguy

Familyguy New Member

I voted K-frame 3" or longer .38 or 44.....I had a S&W 686 6" .357 stainless cut and crowned to 3" (keeps the longer ejector rod). Best damn carry gun next to my current one (H&K P7). One of the few guns I really regret selling.
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Smith 637 J Frame is worth a look.
    I have run a number of rounds though a friends was was impressed with.
  5. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

s&w model 19 or 66 in 4in,both are great
  6. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

7. mhammer3333

mhammer3333 New Member

I would say it depends on where you plan to carry it. If it's on your hip and your primary carry I would prefer to have a revolver with a rear sight so it's not just point and shoot. I've got a Colt 4" King Cobra that conceals nice. As a backup the J frame makes a lot of sense on the ankle.
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I like the Smith and Wesson Mod. 10 Easy to carry and conceal

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  9. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

If I had to choose 1 revolver it would be that Ruger GP100 stainless 3"bbl in 357mag.

I feel the GP100 sits lower in the hand than the S&W L frame. I have a full 6 shots. It can handle 38spl and 357 mag. It has enought heft to handle the 357, but it's not too heavy. The fixed sights don't snag on the draw. The hammer spur may catch on a coat, but a small piece of latex tubbing fixed that problem.

If you compare it to a stainless SP101 or a S&W J frame the size and weight differences or minimal. I gladly will trade the differences for more power and a extra shot.
  10. Green

Green New Member

I like my Kel-Tec .380 P3AT. Light,very concealable, packs a punch and not expensive.
  11. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

That's not a revolver, Green.
  12. Green

Green New Member

JohnK3, I stand corrected. Sorry,got ahead of myself.
  13. navyvet

navyvet New Member

S&W model 36
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I carry in an ankle holster and sweat ruined the finish of a Model 36 in our hot humid summers.

Sold the gun after refinishing and bought a good used Model 60. No longer have the problem since it is stainless.....
  15. Kentuckian

Kentuckian New Member

My Taurus 605 seems to work pretty well.