Best Revolver for CCW

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Pistolenschutze, Feb 10, 2006.

?

Best Revolver for CCW

1. .38/.357 J-frame snubbies

102 vote(s)
    80.3%
  2. K-frame revolvers with 3" or longer barrels, .38 or .44

19 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Heavy N-frame revolvers like the Smith Mod. 29

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Very small revolvers in sub calibers like the .22

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. I can't disagree with anything you said, OT. I've always been something of a fence-sitter on the snubbies. I like them because of their light weight and easy concealability under certain carry circumstances. They fit that niche better than just about any other handgun. I will carry a Smith 637 fairly often when I'm just running around town on errands or the like. In a high threat environment, however, I too prefer a bit more firepower. By the way, have you looked at the Speer 135 grain +P Gold Dot ammo for your snubbies? Supposedly, this round was specifically developed by Speer to function reliably in a 2" barrel snubbie revolver. That is what I carry in mine anyway.
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

as long as you mentioned ammo for a snubbie check out hornadys new critical defense 110gr velocity 1175 energy 337 for non +p the +p stuff is tested at 1270/394 :eek:
  3. pricedo

pricedo New Member

Colt Cobra......the CCW Mighty Mouse

:DThe Colt Cobra snub nosed revolver teamed with the Galco holster especially built for it is my favorite CCW handgun.

This 6 shot revolver loaded with .38 SPL +P is plenty potent and you can carry it all day in the heat with no discomfort. You'll forget you're carrying a defensive handgun until you need it.

I shoot 158 grain hollow point +P loads in this gun.

I always preferred a revolver because you can readily see if it's loaded or cocked and a misfire won't interrupt your shot string like it does with an automatic. You just keep pulling the trigger in double action mode and the cylinder rotates past the misfired round without the necessity of having to waste precious moments clearing the dud round.

There aren't many crooks who can absorb 6 x 158 grain .38 SPL +P HPs & still remain vertical.

CCW Permits: UT, PA, NH, ME
    Life Member: NRA, GOA
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

while i agree with your choice of a colt cobra ( great carry gun)and also the 158 gr hp in +p i caution you the cobra is a lite weight and you need to limit the +p's you fire out of it. it would be a shame to booger up a timeless classic by continually firing "hot" load out of her.
  5. pricedo

pricedo New Member

Colt Cobra

:D
    I practise with regular strength .38 SPL loads.

I keep the number of +P loads fired to a minimum.

The alloy frame of the Cobra makes it a dream to carry but won't take constant pounding by +P loads.

I carry the gun with +P ammo loaded.

The .38 SPL is no .44 Magnum to start with & loses a significant amount of horsepower because of the Cobra's short barrel.

It could take everything the gun/ammo combo has to put down a big perp on PCP, mescaline, speed or whatever.

I get a kick out of the guys who pretend that a .45 auto carried inside the waist band in one of those plastic holsters is comfortable (I've seen the big welts in their skin after a days carry) & leave the gun at home or in the car glove box most of the time.

A Cobra in your hand is worth two .45 autos that are somewhere else when the do-do hits the fan & you find yourself facing plural "needy" perps, not taking "no" for an answer at an ATM or in a parking lot.

CCW Permits: UT, PA, NH, ME
    Life Member: NRA, GOA
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009