Best round for deer??? .223 Remington

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Frnc4891, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Frnc4891

Frnc4891 Member

Trying to figure what will be the best round for deer and hog in central Florida. A large buck is only like 110 pounds. Doe usually comes in at 80 pounds. The rifle that I'm trying to set up is a bull barrel handi rifle in .223 Remington. I think it is 1:12 twist. The barrel is a sb2. That being said, I have heard that I can't use the Barnes 70 grain tsx because of not enough twist. Is this true??? Also, I don't have a reloader so I have to buy factory loads. Any help is appreciated.
  2. Frnc4891

Frnc4891 Member

Also any input on the Winchester psp I think it is a 55 grain. Walmart has them so they are readily available.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    The article below tells you that the .223 can be used for deer. I believe that the 1/12 twist will do well with bullets from 55gr, on up to some heavier bullets. Try some of the Nosler solid brass bullets, they stay together, and will give more penitration.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/223-reminton-specifics/

deer can cleanly and legally be taken with the .223 Rem. in most states. For deer, it’s best to keep shots inside 150 yards so impact velocities are high enough to cause the tough bullets to open wide. Both my sons and I have taken many deer with the .223 Rem. using bullets like the Nosler 60-grain Partition, the 55-grain Barnes TSX and the 62-grain Fusion. Just last year I participated in a cull hunt where several other writers and I used Dynamic Research Technology's (DRT) 60-grain, powdered-metal bullet to take 22 whitetails with ARs chambered for the .223 Remington. Shots stretched out to 180 yards. We did not lose a single deer, and several of the bucks were near 200 pounds live weight.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

anything smaller than .24 caliber is illegal here in WA but .223 will certainly do the job and I assume it's legal in FL. Not my first choice of rounds but it will work.

Best thing to do is try a bunch of different hunting ammo and see what your gun likes then buy a fair amount of it and do a good zero and practice with it. Lighter bullets will likely be best suited for that slow twist I think? Noslers would be my first choice of bullet brand too.
  5. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

SMALLER than .24?
  6. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have used a 64 grain Winchester PSP and it has been effective on our small Hill Country Whitetails; and no shot was over 100 yards.
    I have just purchased a new Winchester product called Razrback, I think, that is supposedly designed for the thick hides of hogs. I am anxious to try it on some of the medium sized pigs running around.
  7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

sounds like yall need to put some does down.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, anything under .24 cal is illegal for big game. Must be centerfire also. Ironically, handguns are completely legal so long as they meet the .24 cal and 4" minimum barrel length criteria! So a .223 rifle is illegal but you could use a glock 23.... makes sense right? :confused:
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Per Florida http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/taking-game/

Rifle for deer just has to be centerfire with not more than a capacity of 5 in the magazine.

If you keep ranges to within 100 yards a 223 will work great.

The Barns TSX in a .224 70gr flavor will NOT work in your rifle. Barns says 1:8" twist or faster. The 55gr bullets are going to be about your max.
  10. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Small deer doesn't necessarily mean they are stunted, sometimes, as in the herd in the Hill Country of Texas, it's just a smaller sub-species of whitetail deer. This is in Florida where the deer there are a pretty small sub-species just like the largest sub-species of whitetail deer are in Canada, Alberta, I think.

But yes, I"m always ready to kill some does.
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

.243 but better yet......308
    NOT a .223
    Unless you are very,very precise.
    Are you that good ?
  12. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

.223 on up. Just shoot the deer in the heart or directly in the head
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Got to agree with OZO on being very precise.
    We dont have a rifle season but I've taken a few, bigger coyotes and some at long ranges. With a .223 caliber, a well placed shot makes the all difference in the world.
  14. stumper1300

stumper1300 New Member

I have killed more deer with a .223 than any other caliber and never lost one. Always hear about idiots taking risk shots with their big guns and losing hit deer because they thought they could get away with it because of the caliber they were shooting. A .22 long rifle will drop a deer in its tracks if the shot is well placed.
  15. langenc

langenc Member

Use the Nosler Partition in 60 gr-the only one they make in that caliber.