1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Best screwdriver kit for working on firearms

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Mar 26, 2012.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I own alot of Snap On tools. However, back in 1993 if you had a Craftsman wrench it was thick and bulky and difficult to get into tight places. As a mechanic I started out with Craftsman and some did break. Then Snap on came out with their Flank Drive wrenches and I bought a set. They are the best wrench I have ever owned. Also, I broke a Craftsman wrench and went into Sears to get a new one and guess what, they would not give me a new one because I was wearing a GM Mr Good Wrench shirt.

When I was buying tools, I paid cash because I had two side jobs. So when the tool trucks came by, I offered them prices below their listings. If they said no I thanked them and walked. Next thing you know my box had a lot of Snap On tools because he met me at what I wanted to pay. When Matco and Cornwell saw that they quit saying no. Also, the first place I went was the second hand drawers for the used tools. Same warranty, great price, just used.

Craftsman stepped up with the professional line because they had to. NAPA was offering professional tools along with many others so they had to step up. I also like SK hand Tools. I think their wrenches are pretty close to Snap On. I went with the professional tools because I didn't have time to ge to Sears if I broke them, and believe me I broke them. I have the same Snap On wrenches and have never broke one to this day.

As for Harbor Freight, I have broke a 5" SwiveL Vise, I burned a grinder up, and I did have a set of their tools in the tool box in my truck and they were their good ones (wrench's) but I broke one (wrench) on a truck that was broke down and got rid of them ASAP. Now everything in my truck is Craftsman except my wrenches. They are NAPA (which is the same as a Craftsman Professional). I still buy some Harbor Freight tools but not much.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use the wheeler kit, The big 100 dollar one, and the drill press trick. I havent buggered a screw since i first started smithin. Fact ive gotten real good at fixin the buggered screws that do come in.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks JLA, I have been watching for an answer on this thead. I am scouting for one now.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I buy stuff from Harbor Freight if I intend to loan it out. If it's just for me to use, Craftsman is the minimum.

But I don't know anything about the real thread topic. :)
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mac,Snap on, Craftsman. In that order I owned a body shop for 27 years and in hand tools that's what I used. All very good quality.

Been out of that business for 15 years and no longer need many tools.
  6. dwdw

dwdw New Member

Hi: All here is trick I use that you should try. Take your screwdriver and turn it handle down, the blade end up. Put the handle in a vice lightly with it bottomed on the link between the jaws and take 12 oz or so hammer and tap the working end of the blade till you have a flared tip. Don't go to extremes that little flared end will help you take out screws that were widened by a cheep or not held straight screwdriver. It work hardens the very edge to help cut into the bottom of the slot. This is the next best to the drill press or mill set up.
    For to many years I traveled North America and Europe repairing printing machinery at all hours and found Craftsman and SK were the best, not in quality but in getting a replacement at 5:00 Sunday, printing presses run around the clock and emergencies happen any time or day.
    Needed to carry a few as possible to do as much as possible..
    I also had a run in with a Snap-on driver about a ratchet that slipped when you pulled real hard. I was told it stripped because a negligence, not following the lube order for it, bought the parts kit he had on the truck and walked away, that killed Snap-on in my eyes.
    Thanks
    dwdw