1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Best SD ammo for 3" 45ACP

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by rocklinskier, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Any suggestions? I have on hand several 230g HP that I have ran thru my full size, but just picked up a 1911 style 3" barrel conceal weapon. Grabbed a box of Horndady 185 FTX Critical Defense rounds. These seem to have a wax or plastic filled tip. Should help with feeding I suppose. Hoping to break the pistol in today. So for those of you who have done your homework, both mathmatically and practically, which ammo have you chose for your short barrel 45's.

I plan on doing my own testing of course, but it's good to hear if some things just plain don't work, or work exceptionally.

RS
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

corbon 165 gr hp. has shown great results from shot barrelled 45's
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Whatever is most accurate and reliable in your 45. The 45 acp will do the job with just about anything.
  5. sorral

sorral New Member

try Extreme Shock. That is what I carry.
  6. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'm off to a good start with the Hornady 185 FTX. I will look into the Corbon and Extreme Shok as well.
  7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I still shoot 230 Hydrashocks out of my 3.5" OM, never had a hicccup.

Why shoot a .45 if you are going to handicap it with lighter bullets?
  8. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

A valid point for the light vs. heavy handicap, it's just that (correct me if Im wrong) ballistics change when comparing a 5" tube to a 3" one. Some heavy bullets, already having a lower velocity, have trouble with good penetration/expantion when expelled from a shorty.

Again, I'm only regurgitating what I've read, thus my question, and my interest in various ammunition. Then of course, there is the comparison of what feeds well.

I know for instance that Speer/GD developed a special load in .40 specifically for guns with less than 4" barrels. It uses the same 180 projectile, but with different powder that makes it perform better than it's long barrel counterpart in the short gun.
  9. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

a 45 is not handicapped with lighter bullets, but using a 3.5 inch barrel handicaps the 230 gr hydrashocks. yes they feed wel lone of the best feeding hollow points out there, given the o-give of the bullet. but it's all about muzzle energy . compare the numbers . a 230 gr bullet from a 3.5 inch tube will produce less pounds of energy than a 180 gr or a 165 gr. energy and feet per second translate to penetration depths penetration depths translate to stopping power
  10. SigP250

SigP250 New Member

Just a quick look back at the Ammo development for the 45 ACP.
    The Military started with a 200 grain bullet & settled for a 230 grain bullet
    I believe any 230gr round that will feed 100 percent with get the job done.
    A jam can cost you more than you may want to pay.
  11. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I use Corbon Pow'r Ball ammo in my Colt Defender because of the 3" barrel. The polymer ball pushes the hollow point open under the reduced velocity achieved from the abreviated barrel.

I figure it has a 9mm velocity, a .40 S&W bullet weight, and a .45 ACP diameter. What's the down side?

.45 ACP+P 165 gr Glasser Pow'r Ball in Gelatin.jpg

Firearm was semi-automatic action with 3.8" barrel length

Shot 1 - Penetrated to 10.9". Average recovered diameter 0.659".

Shot 2 - Penetrated to 12.6". Average recovered diameter 0.687".

Shot 3 - Penetrated to 11.8". Average recovered diameter 0.698".

Shot 4 - Penetrated to 12.2". Average recovered diameter 0.668".

Shot 5 - Penetrated to 11.4". Average recovered diameter 0.684".

Average diameter = 0.679". Average penetration depth = 11.8"

gelatin test data from http://www.brassfetcher.com/.45ACP 165gr P Cor-Bon Pow'r Ball.html
  12. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

The corbon pwrball and the Hornady look like they have very similar design. Basically a semi solid filler in the HP to help with expansion. The old timers used to fill their Hp bullets with wax. (so I've heard)

Did a brief run in with the new sidearm yesterday. Several rounds of ball and LSWC's, one mag of Winchester 230 HP's and a mag of Hornady's. Suprised at how managable they were in the litte gun. The most accurate of the ammo that I shot including the FMJ 230 rounds was the Hornady's. I suspect the Corbons will perform very close to the same. Perhaps next week will muster up some cash for a box to try.

Very pleased with the new gun so far. Will try a couple of diff. rounds but so far, the Hornady 185 is making me :).
  13. michael t

michael t New Member

I use Corbon 185 DPX+P in my Defender and New Agent. These have feed reliable and and have never been a problem in either pistol.