Best self defense ammunition?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dark_falcon27, Jun 15, 2009.

1. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

I have 2 small boxes of Speer Gold Dots. Any reviews on those? Also heard that Remington's Golden Sabers were good.
  2. The Speer Gold Dot design is considered one of the best out there, falcon. It's the duty round for many police departments whatever the caliber. I carry them in several of my CCW weapons, particularly my .38 snubbies. Their 135 grain Gold Dot +P was especially designed to function and expand properly out of a 2" barreled snubbie.
  3. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

Dark Falcon, I use Speer Gold Dots (.38 +P) as my main SD carry ammunition. It's apparently widely considered the safe best choice for snubbies, was developed in collaboration with PD departments and is widely used by them. It isn't cheap, but unless you're an expert reloader or know a lot more about ammunition than most, it's probably one of the best choices you could make.
  4. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

Outstanding. Thanks for the insight
  5. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

Also, i found a page telling how badass Gold Dots actually are. They handily outperformed the hydo-shocks by Federal IMHO.I lost the link though. Oops
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  6. HalfBreed

HalfBreed New Member

Different strokes for different folks, my wife and I both carry winchester silver tip hollow points and have for years. One of my long time friends carries the 38+P Gold Dots and swears by them. Just my .02 worth
  7. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I really like the Federal HydraShok in 124gr 9mm. My Walther loves them too. I went with the HydraShok after asking some local LEOs what their departments use. Most PDs around here use the HydraShok in various calibers. The most important thing with any ammo is how well it performs in your PDW, and if you can hit your target with it.
  8. Ammo Sphere

Ammo Sphere New Member

I think everyone is going to have a different opinion on this one. For me I got with what the police use and that's Winchester Ranger Ammo LE. It's tested several times before they leave the factory, extremely reliable.
  9. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

My personal choices are the Hyda-shoks for my .45. (NOT in .40S&W in a Glock or XD!) For my 9mms I carry Black Talons and Ranger (XTPs?). Speer Gold Dots and Cor-Bons both gave very umimpressive results on the various tests I've done. Granted, no human targets have been used yet....
  10. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Hydrashocks are a good design, but they are a bit outdated. The new version from Federal called the "HST" is a much better design. Look up some reviews.
  11. Mistahman

Mistahman New Member

HST's #1
    Ranger Talons #2
    The HST's are a modern Hydra-Shok & The Ranger Talons a modern Black Talon! I believe either will surfice! Just a matter of preference (which company u like).
  12. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member

A new round that has caught my eye is the Federal Premium Self Defense Round. Maybe ideal for those who live in apts. since it is known for energy transfer and not penetration.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Right now I'm loaded up with corbon +p's, but my first choice is Hornady's XTP HP's. I load them for hunting, and they are made to expand at most velocities from a hand gun. If they kill deer with one well placed shot, why not other critters?
  14. bobkreeger

bobkreeger New Member

Take a look at Buffalo Bore Ammo. There stuff is really awsome, I tried there .380, .357 & .41 mag in water and wet newspaper and was very impressed.
  15. dark_falcon27

dark_falcon27 New Member