Best Shot for shooting steel targets

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by gunpir8, Aug 1, 2010.

1. gunpir8

gunpir8 New Member

Today I shot in my first three gun competition and I had problems knocking down the star wheel steel targets with no problems on the poppers. It appeared that I was hitting the plates and causing them to move but not come off the wheel. I was shooting high brass 7 1/2 Rio skeet loads and was wondering if I should move up to a 4 to 6 load. I understand the dynamics of shooting the star wheel plates and was aiming at the edge of the plates but could not knock them off. Any suggestions?
  2. pickenup

pickenup New Member

My suggestion would be to aim at the center of the plate. I use 7 1/2 all the time on the star, and never have a problem knocking the plates off.
    Well, that is when I do my part. ;)

My club limits the size shot you can use. I have been using 7 1/2 for so long, I can not remember exactly, but I don't think you can use size 6 or larger.
  3. gunpir8

gunpir8 New Member

Thanks! I wonder if the choke on the shotgun is the problem. I shot the center on one stage and the edge of the other stage. When I shot the center, i could see the plates moving but they would not fall. When I shot at the edge, I knocked one off and had two plates still hanging. I am perplexed by this situation. I guess I better check the rules. Thank you for your help
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I was thinking that myself. That would make a huge difference.