Best shotgun HD load.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ineedsoap16, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

I know its been debated before, but with new members its always fun to rehash. For sake of this discussion we will assume were talking about 12ga so there is not any back or forth about ?ga prefs.

So, what is, the best HD 12ga load? Take into account penetration, spread, power, and even second shot. We all love the idea of one shot takedowns but in the event...
  2. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

And if you want to get tricky, the loading of diff loads so if the first shot isn't a one shot drop, what else do you load in the mag?
  3. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

OO... repeat as needed!
  4. OBrien

OBrien New Member

3 1/2" "00" buckshot if you can handle it all the way.
  5. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I have to disagree, 2 3/4 00 for me. the extra velocity and penetration you would get with the 3 1/2" doesn't seem to be worth the extra recoil that could possibly kill a followup shot, not to mention if you had to shoot from an akward position and the recoil problem would be magnified.
  6. OBrien

OBrien New Member

I have never done any scientifically testing but on bowling pins the 3 1/2 does a lot more damage than the 2 3/4. As for the recoil I said if you can handle it. I am pretty comfortable with the recoil but I'm not a small person either.
  7. questor

questor New Member

The duplex loads looks very interesting; planning on purchasing a box this weekend and testing out the pattern and penetration.

Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense shotgun ammunition features the same pellet material as the popular Wingmaster HD™ tungsten-bronze hunting ammunition and is offered in two loadings. Consumers can choose from a load of BB’s for the highest terminal energy or a duplex mixture of #2 and #4 pellets for excellent pattern density and outstanding stopping power with a reduced chance of over-penetration.

Both loads are 12 gauge, 2 ¾-inch with 1 1/4 ounces of shot at 1250 feet per second. At the most commonly encountered home defense distances, Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense produces very tight patterns for one-shot confidence.
  8. doug66

doug66 New Member

00 buck inside my castle. If it comes time to pull the trigger, you are dead if you have to stop and think about over penetration.
  9. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

These are great, keep em coming. Personally I like the "OO... repeat as needed!", but that is just me.
  10. Charles Butler

Charles Butler New Member

Remington Tac-8 buckshot is quite good I have that loaded now,and I agree 2 3/4 is better easier to handle and to reload you have to think if someone breaks in at night you just wake up not all there your not gonna be in prime shooting condition like at the range, you have to stop ask yourself "what can I shoot the easiest half awake"
  11. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Inside the home, you are going to be firing at a target not more than 30 feet away - and probably a LOT closer than that, in reality. There is no spread, and #6 shot will hit them in a single mass, the same as 00 buck. From the standpoint of stopping them, there is no difference.

So I would consider INCIDENTAL damage.
    If you MISS - do you really want that shot going through your wall and into the neighbors house or the car passing in front and killing some innocent?
  12. desertgoldman

desertgoldman New Member

Hmmm...

It's 3 AM and I'm asleep and our little yapyap is barking at the noise from the living room on the other side of the locked bedroom door. The Remington 870 pump is loaded with 5 3-1/2" double nought spy buckshot within 3' of the bed. I get up and grab it, take off the safety after aiming it at the door 10' away. I'm NOT concerned about overpenetration and I sure don't care about recoil because my shottie isn't going any higher up than my hip. At that range I don't believe I would miss if that door opens. Drywall and siding repairs are within the realm of my experience. Neighbors must take their own chances if they're wandering around outside at 3 AM. Don't see that load penetrating a burglar and two houses. If it does... well, sometimes we're just unlucky.
  13. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Have you ever been broken into during the middle of the night. I maybe jumpy but I was on my feet with gun at shoulder before the blankets even got back to the bed. Adrenaline flowing recoil is the last thing on your mind.
  14. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Recoil is equivalent to a reduction in firepower, simply because it makes more work for follow-on shots.

Adrenaline does more against you than it does for you, so I wouldn't depend on adrenaline as an answer to any problems.

Reduced recoil 00 buckshot really is one of the best things ever designed for a self-defense or combat shotgun.

As far as any scenarios where we may use any shotgun to defend our castle, lets recognize that this all amounts to mental masturbation. It will be what it will be and we can't know what we won't know at that time.
  15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've used 00 and #4 buck and birdshot. i got my shotgun loaded with birdshot right now.
  16. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

7 1/2 shot. It will disable or kill but usually not penetrate more than one wall made of wall board. A shotgun must still be aimed especially at the close indoor defensive ranges in home defense.
  17. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

Interesting you should mention that. I'm not a shotgun guy at ALL. I don't even own one anymore as a matter of fact. However in an interesting AAR over at M4C, with Rob Haught teaching.

I'm more of a AR kinda HD guy. But it was still interesting reading.
  18. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Active Member

+1 for 7.5. 3 year old daughter in one room, 8 mo old son in another. Not chancing my sleepy @$$ flinching at 3 in the morn and puttin double Os through my kids hollow doors.
  19. cakes

cakes New Member

Having personally seen the effects of bird shot vs person and buckshot vs person, there is no question of whether bird shot has what it takes to stop a bad guy. It does NOT. There is a reason there is a picture of a squirrel on the box of ammo.

There is no question in my mind of the abilities of buckshot. I have seen the effects of buckshot on people, buildings, cars, and other objects. Buckshot will get the job done.

If you are concerned with shooting through the neighbor's house, check out the box o' truth. Then go see what your walls are made of.

www.theboxotruth.com

I base my opinions on years of law enforcement training and experience.
  20. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

+1 on the 2 3/4" 12 gauge reduced recoil 00 buckshot load for home defense. With the 00 buckshot load you have a much better chance of doing some damage after you get through multiple layers of heavy winter clothing that you might encounter. The reduced recoil loads enable a much faster recovery for second and subsequent shots. I also load the last several rounds in the 8 shot magazine with 2 3/4" 12 gauge Remington Sluggers. If I get to that point in the home defense process I suspect that those will come in rather handy.