Best shotgun HD load.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by ineedsoap16, Sep 16, 2009.

1. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

7 1/2 shot. It will disable or kill but usually not penetrate more than one wall made of wall board. A shotgun must still be aimed especially at the close indoor defensive ranges in home defense.
  2. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

Interesting you should mention that. I'm not a shotgun guy at ALL. I don't even own one anymore as a matter of fact. However in an interesting AAR over at M4C, with Rob Haught teaching.

I'm more of a AR kinda HD guy. But it was still interesting reading.
  3. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

+1 for 7.5. 3 year old daughter in one room, 8 mo old son in another. Not chancing my sleepy @$$ flinching at 3 in the morn and puttin double Os through my kids hollow doors.
  4. cakes

cakes New Member

Having personally seen the effects of bird shot vs person and buckshot vs person, there is no question of whether bird shot has what it takes to stop a bad guy. It does NOT. There is a reason there is a picture of a squirrel on the box of ammo.

There is no question in my mind of the abilities of buckshot. I have seen the effects of buckshot on people, buildings, cars, and other objects. Buckshot will get the job done.

If you are concerned with shooting through the neighbor's house, check out the box o' truth. Then go see what your walls are made of.

www.theboxotruth.com

I base my opinions on years of law enforcement training and experience.
  5. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

+1 on the 2 3/4" 12 gauge reduced recoil 00 buckshot load for home defense. With the 00 buckshot load you have a much better chance of doing some damage after you get through multiple layers of heavy winter clothing that you might encounter. The reduced recoil loads enable a much faster recovery for second and subsequent shots. I also load the last several rounds in the 8 shot magazine with 2 3/4" 12 gauge Remington Sluggers. If I get to that point in the home defense process I suspect that those will come in rather handy.
  6. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Cakes. It has reaffirmed my position on using 7.5 loads. Buckshoot went through 7 walls. Hmmm my son and daughter are only behind 1 wall. No the shell I shoot aint gonna kill him. But its sure gonna put him in the hospital and maybe make him think about a different profession. I am curious how much of the face will be left after getting shot there. Hmm. On second thought I hope I never find out.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

At home defense ranges, any shot larger than 7-1/2 will work fine.
  8. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I'm old fashioned, I just toss in the 2.75" 00 buck.
    My theory is, shooting someone with a shotgun usually makes them stop bothering you. If it doesn't, shoot 'em again.
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I'm a 12 ga. double-ought buck kinda' guy myself. It's the most reliable BG stopper in my book. :cool:

Recently, my wife and I were at the range and I decided to demonstrate the beauty and power of my HD 870. After a couple of shots with the 00 buck she looked at me with that "evil angry look" and said "you're nuts if you think I'm gonna' let you shoot that thing off in MY house. :mad: :eek:

I guess I'll just have to stand there and back her up while she clears the house with her Glock. :(
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I like 2 3/4" #6 for all my uses.
  11. questor

questor New Member