Best Tank Design of WWII

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Old Steve

Old Steve New Member

Thinking about Jim K's comment. The first combat use of the Pershing I have been able to find is they were used, about 20, to provide supressive artillery fire across the Rhine during the capture of the Ludendorff bridge at Remagen, March 7, 1945. To get there they would have been designed late 43-early 44.

The JS-2 went into combat in Feb 44, a website indicates about 4500 were built, the JS-3 did not make it into combat, ready in May 45.

I have heard somewhere, I think from a pilot in the early postwar period, that the gunsights for the Stalin tank were made in the US and delivered by air though Alaska, I can't confirm that. I noticed that http://www.battletanks.com/potogallery.htm , states that the IS-2 had a greatly-improved fire control system that made it "more than a match for Tiger 2 and Panther", possibly this is related.

Based on the timing and appearance of the vehicles, I think it probable that Russian engineers contributed or were consulted in the design of the Pershing, the timing was right. It is little noted that there was significant cooperation during those war years, Stalin was willing to do anything practical to keep lend-lease coming and to encourage the western front invasion of Europe, and the loan of a few engineers from the tank design bureau would have been cheap insurance. Certainly the excellent performance of the Russian tanks was well noted in the US. There was plenty of empty shipping from Russia to the US in those days.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

Probably the U.S designed and made SHERMAN tank. Without this the war would have lasted even longer.

BUT we Brits invented the things in 1915. :eek:

Thanks for giving us so many of your brilliant Sherman's. :D

The Sherman's were simple, robust, reliable and effective in firefight. Most importantly they were produced very quickly and were cheap to make (compared to other designs).

The British Crusader tank was a pretty good weapon towards the end of the war.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Frickin Moles
  4. whirley

whirley Member

I agree completely with OLD STEVE. The T-34 was the best of WW2. They ran over us in Korea. In WW2 our tanks used 100 octane gas, and the Germans said they were like a match. Strike it and it lights. My brother after three years in Africa, Italy and France said our tanks were like Ronson lighters, they did not always ignite. My previous comment referred to Gen Monkey and his almost fanatical insistance of complete control. Read about his planning at El Alemain or Tunisia. Our tanks in WW2 were undergunned with that 75Mm, but we made lots of them. The Russians made scads of T-34 with a diesel engine, and everything was hand cranked, but it beat the socks off the Germans.Perhaps if Patton had been unleashed, my cousin and many others would have survived WW2. We'll never know!
  5. DGG!

DGG! New Member

Being totally objective I would say that in a one-on-one fight in an open area nothing could beat a Tiger, with the Panzer a close second. If you gang up on them with multiple T-34 or Sherman tanks you could defeat them. The Panzer and Tiger served in more areas of the world than any other WWII tank. If the German tankers and pilots had had the fuel supply the Battle of the Bulge and perhaps WWII would have been vastly different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_IV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_I
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  6. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave Member

One on one the T-34, with its gun and wheel design (actually a rejected US design). What won on the US side with the Sherman was the number. One Tiger commander was quoted as saying, they'd take out 10 Shermans and there would still be more. More of a human wave approach to tank warfare than a technical approach - quantity over quality.
  7. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

This was on the history channel and i believe the t34 won the best tank in ww2.

On the sherman our numbers in manufacturing them was much higher. It wasn't until we interduced the 90mm cannon on the tanks is when we had better success.

In one of the last orginal battle video's in germany is when a german tank was playing hind go seek with our larger gun and it got taken out very quickly. I believe it was in berlin and its on the world at war video's.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. aqbill

aqbill New Member

Have to go with the T-34 - all things considered. But, notwithstanding the wonky engine, you gotta love the Panther. & of course there's the Firefly with its 17-pounder...
    :D:dancingdots:
  9. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    Best 2 tanks, Tiger II and T34. Best mass produced tank the Sherman and T34. I'm partial to the current M1 Abrams though. Death Before Dismount HOOAH!
  10. G_Hebel_MD

G_Hebel_MD New Member

I would have to say tossup between T34 and Sherman

T34 had the innovative (well the creator initially offered the design to USA and we said that's dumb) suspension that allowed it to move fast across fairly rough terrain while maintaining decent accuracy. they also were mass producible which was great for the Russians whole policy at the time seemed to be throw enough at them and we'll win. kinda funny seeing as T34 was downsize from their earlier armor (KV-1 and, KV-2 were huge but slow, ponderous things) there were tons of variants of T34 as well and, was reliable enough model that was in service for a long time i think someone said Israel had them in service until the 80's

Sherman on the other hand was a solid medium sized tank, we probably could have given it thicker armor or a bigger gun but it was pretty much designed around what the port facilities in Europe could handle and, that was what we went with. the 76mm was a solid cannon like the rest of the Sherman well rounded. decent accuracy, decent punch for the size (but had issues getting through German armor) they also had the above mentioned issue with lighting up like christmas tree's due to them leaking quite easily.

there were likely better tanks around at the time (UK's Crusader for a example) but these two stood out as being game changers.
  11. B27

B27 New Member

M-26 Pershing.

As an aside.......what was the fastest tracked and armored vehicle produced by anybody in WWII?......

Hmmmmmmm? ;)

The GM M18 Hellcat tank destroyer.
  12. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

M5 Stuart comes to mind, May have been a light tank but the little bugger was fast and hell on track during the war
  13. shop tom

shop tom New Member

The T-34 was the best BALANCED tank design to make it's mark on the battlefield. It's 2-man turret was a liability, but the superbly sloped armor, powerful yet thrifty engine, agility, and ease of manufacture made it the first truly modern tank design.

But I think the Tiger I may take the title of most EFFECTIVE tank. While it was not as speedy as the T-34 and it's armor wasn't neatly sloped, it was surprisingly agile cross-country for a heavy tank. It's armor was still adequate, and the KwK 36 L/56 88mm canon was more useful than the Panther's 75mm cannon and was surpassed only by the King Tiger's KwK 43 L/71 gun. Had it stayed in production (only some 1300 were made) instead of the resources going to the Tiger II and other too-big designs, there would have been many more of these well-balanced heavy tanks to supplement the Panthers and assault guns. The west had nothing to counter it qualitatively, and the Russians made equal, but not necessarily better heavy tank designs until practically the end of the war.
  14. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Didn't the history channel already say the russian T34 tank was the best one in WW2.

I built machines to manufacture the M1 Abrams main rotor for the tank engine and two machines that manufactured the upper and lower bearing races for the turret too. I alsoassembled the 155mm howitzers for thye US Army too.
  15. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

T34/85, second best would be German Panther. Third place possibly the M-26 Pershing.