Best time of the year to buy a press?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by techiej, Jul 19, 2012.

1. techiej

techiej New Member

Looking at getting into reloading and have settled on a Hornady LNL AP.

My question to everyone is what is the best time of the year to buy a press? Are there many online specials going into black friday or does that not apply to this type of equipment?

I know about the Hornady free bullets if purchased by the end of the year but based upon your experience is there any time better than another?

Thanks!
  2. zachp

zachp New Member

I ordered mine from Midsouth, they had the BEST price on it out of everywhere i shopped. You will not be disappointed in this press. As for black friday im not sure if anyone does a sale or not.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Never noticed any specific time of year being better/worse; I would just shop around the net and local stores for the best deal to be had.

Happy reloadin' to ya, hope you get up and running soon!
  4. X Ring

X Ring Member

Time of year doesn't really apply to reloading equipment.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Keep a close eye on www.grafs.com they have good offers from time to time on the LNL, I bought mine there with the free bullets and any new dimension die set of my choice for free, and free shipping as always at Grafs. One lesson I can share with you about reloading items (or anything for that matter) purchased online is to ALWAYS get your final price WITH shipping. What may be a great offer for one guy here on the forum may really suck for you in the end because you live 1500 miles from that distributor, he lives ten minutes from the place. This hint plays out critically when it comes to powder and primer. I have argued with many folks that Powder Valley prices actually suck because for me shipping is near is close to $100 for 5k primers and 16 pounds of powder; its all because of my location. So if one guy says this is the absolute best deal, be weary he may be paying little or no shipping, or chooses not to include that as part of the final cost. It sounds as if you are conscious minded about how you spend you hard earned dollars- good on ya. YMMV
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Keep a close eye on www.grafs.com they have good offers from time to time on the LNL, I bought mine there with the free bullets and any new dimension die set of my choice for free, and free shipping as always at Grafs. One lesson I can share with you about reloading items (or anything for that matter) purchased online is to ALWAYS get your final price WITH shipping. What may be a great offer for one guy here on the forum may really suck for you in the end because you live 1500 miles from that distributor, he lives ten minutes from the place. This hint plays out critically when it comes to powder and primer. I have argued with many folks that Powder Valley prices actually suck because for me shipping is near is close to $100 ( remember hazmat fee of $25) for 5k primers and 16 pounds of powder; its all because of my location. So if one guy says this is the absolute best deal, be weary he may be paying little or no shipping, or chooses not to include that as part of the
    final cost. It sounds as if you are conscious minded about how you spend you hard earned dollars- good on ya. YMMV
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Grafs is an excellent site, save up a little extra $$ in between and buy a decent size amount each time. You can order up to like 10k primers and 40lbs of powder per shipment I believe; one hazmat fee so the more you get at once, the cheaper it becomes dispersed over everything.

But shipping is for certain an important factor with many vendors, moreso nowadays with rising costs.

Just got an 8lb of Clays for $158 total (including a $25 hazmat fee, special order for some reason) thru fort lewis skeet range. Grafs is right in line with that.

Bullets can be had cheaper in bulk also in many cases. Brownells and others also will have free shipping days occasionally, I wait for one of those to save a ton of $$
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

time doesn't matter; doing your homework and shopping around for the press that is best for you is what matters. Midway offers a Birthday discount if you're close to yours by chance.
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There is a chance that you could score a good deal on the Hornady press on Black Friday but that is a long time to wait for something that might not pan out.

Your best bet is to wait until someone has a sale on it. I bought my Hornady on sale at Cabala's and then put a coupon for another $25.00 off and I also applied my Cabala's reward points towards it. Then I got 1000 free bullets (the next year they went to 500) so that was pretty sweet.

To directly answer your question though, the time of year really doesn't matter except for hunting season or just before.
  10. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* Member

I think midwayusa.com has some lee presses on sale now.