Best Type 56 SKS up grades?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Sep 25, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

As if some of you haven't already read.. I now have a type 56 SKS... so, Mechanically it looks great, and shoots great.. For a type 56... But the stock is in less than I'd like it to be condition.
    I was thinking, if I'm going to own a pice of history (mid 60's) that is in such fine condition (less the stock) why not introduce it to the present...
    I was looking for input as to which components should be "modernized" Id like to get a stock that isn't beat up and look as if it had gone through a war... wait.. it did... I see there are all kinds of options for materials and suppliers. I really like the look of the original stock.. but Im wondering if modern technology would be better. Again.. the firearm is in excellent working order... but I have also noticed an updated bolt assembly that has a "hold back" spring for the firing pin... (I have as of yet to have a slam fire) Is it worth the upgrade? Hand guards and gas tubes.. mine works.. blows a bit of carbon... but works....Up date that as well? Now... Magazines... Im good with the fixed 10 round... but if I stay that way... stripper clips come to mind... New or surplus? Or do I go with the "removable" aftermarket magazines?

Or do I just get a replacement surplus stock and shoot it as it was designed to shoot.. with a handful of dirt in the receiver?

Thanks for any input,
    Shawn
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Id stick with the 10 round mag. The aftermarket AK type removable mags don't work that great.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if it where me ( as i can only say for myself)

i'd be putting the original stock away safe and secure,

get myself a bull pup kit and go from there

the bull pup kits ( some) do a very good job on using AK mag's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some use the original , buy both types and you can play at anything you wish

SKS is very well supported that way nowdays
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Skipper

Skipper Member

5. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Keep it clean and you will never have a slam fire
  6. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Why would you want to reinvent the wheel
  7. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Well, its like taking a mid 90's Chevy Caprice to Detroit.... leave it there and one of 3 things will happen... 1: it would get stripped down to nothing and get sold on the black market! 2: End up with so much bling, get attached to a gold chain and put around a rappers neck and become useless, or 3: restored to near mint but with minor conveniences and put to good use.
    Im not reinventing it... just want to fix it up, make it comfortable, and safe.
  8. okie headhunter

okie headhunter New Member

i would just leave it alone.
  9. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Here.. my first up grade!... a necessity actually.
    An original cleaning kit for the butt stock will be next.

Attached Files:

10. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Get a trigger Job done
  11. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

it's an SKS... I thought a proper trigger job involved throwing a handful of sand into the receiver.