Best US Bolt action rifle

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 10:25:40 am)
    Reply Best US Bolt Action Rifle...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was looking to get a US Bolt Action mainly for Target shooting, so pretty much want the most accurate one!

i was thinkin a Springfield or a Enfield...

also please indicate the excat model that you suggest!

thank you,
    Don

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/18/02 11:09:57 am)
    Reply Re: Best US Bolt Action Rifle...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you looking to build a rifle on a U.S. action, or buy a target rifle?

As to the actions, both the M1903 Springfield and M1917 Enfield actions are smooth and strong and would be a nice action for a target rifle.

As for a complete M1903 or M1917.....the military never built any target rifles with the Enfield as a basis. They did make some target versions of the M1903.....but unless you're will to look for a long, long time, and then take out a second mortgage to buy it when you find it, forget it.

There is another option: During Vietnam, the Marine Corps snipers used a pretty-much "off-the-shelf" Remington Model 700/40X with a Redfield 3-9x Scope. www.snipercentral.com/m40a1.htm

Here's what Remington currently offers: www.remington.com/firearm...0xc_ks.htm

.....and Winchester: www.winchester-guns.com/p...tealth.htm

...and a lot of people think the Savage gives a lot of accuracy for the dollar:
    www.savagearms.com/center...f_home.htm

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 11:38:41 am)
    Reply Re: Best US Bolt Action Rifle...
    I am not really a fan of either Remington, Winchester or Savage... i just wanted a Fun, Accurate, US bolt action rifle, and yes i wanted a complete firearm, unless it would be worth it to make my own, what are the pros and cons of making my own?