1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Best US Bolt action rifle

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 10:25:40 am)
    Reply Best US Bolt Action Rifle...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was looking to get a US Bolt Action mainly for Target shooting, so pretty much want the most accurate one!

i was thinkin a Springfield or a Enfield...

also please indicate the excat model that you suggest!

thank you,
    Don

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/18/02 11:09:57 am)
    Reply Re: Best US Bolt Action Rifle...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you looking to build a rifle on a U.S. action, or buy a target rifle?

As to the actions, both the M1903 Springfield and M1917 Enfield actions are smooth and strong and would be a nice action for a target rifle.

As for a complete M1903 or M1917.....the military never built any target rifles with the Enfield as a basis. They did make some target versions of the M1903.....but unless you're will to look for a long, long time, and then take out a second mortgage to buy it when you find it, forget it.

There is another option: During Vietnam, the Marine Corps snipers used a pretty-much "off-the-shelf" Remington Model 700/40X with a Redfield 3-9x Scope. www.snipercentral.com/m40a1.htm

Here's what Remington currently offers: www.remington.com/firearm...0xc_ks.htm

.....and Winchester: www.winchester-guns.com/p...tealth.htm

...and a lot of people think the Savage gives a lot of accuracy for the dollar:
    www.savagearms.com/center...f_home.htm

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 11:38:41 am)
    Reply Re: Best US Bolt Action Rifle...
    I am not really a fan of either Remington, Winchester or Savage... i just wanted a Fun, Accurate, US bolt action rifle, and yes i wanted a complete firearm, unless it would be worth it to make my own, what are the pros and cons of making my own?