best way to clean up an old blade

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by niscon, Apr 1, 2005.

1. niscon

niscon New Member

Bought a bayonet that had been stored in it's scabbard in a damp place for a very long time. Have some rust and what I'm guessing is cosmoline that has hardened and stuck to the blade. Any advice on what product and method to use would be appreciated
  2. Keola

Keola New Member

Currently Springfield, VA. Soon to be back home i
    Brasso worked well, as well as rubbing coumpund ( might have to do a few coats depending on the severity). If it's that bad, some fine sand paper followed by rubbing coumpund the polish.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I would start with boiling water, a little dish detergent and a stiff brush. Then get out the 0000 steel wool and take the rust off. Finish it up with the polishing/lapping compound on a cloth buffing wheel.

Are you going to blue it when you get done?

Pops
  4. offeror

offeror New Member

If it's got a finish on it like parkerizing you'll reduce the value if you take the finish off, so in that case I'd stick to surface cleaners and rust dissolving chemicals mild enough not to harm the finish.

On the other hand, if it's plain steel, that's not an issue, and I always keep some Simichrome polish on hand for the really tough clean-up jobs on unfinished steel. Simichrome will work when other cleaners don't, though it can remove finishes from parkerizing to silverplate to you name it. You CAN use it on plated surfaces, and it does a spectacular job of renewing old items that seem to be a lost cause -- as long as you keep in mind that too many applications or too much rubbing with Simichrome can take off the plating.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  5. niscon

niscon New Member

Thanks for the tips.Bayonet doesn't have value,if I buy them cheap I stay out of trouble.