Best Way to Sell Off Collection?

Discussion in 'Informational & Technical Archives' started by ruffitt, Feb 24, 2003.

1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/02 6:03:38 pm)
    | Edit | Del All Best Way to Sell Off Collection?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not sure which forum is appropriate, but here goes.

I'm seriously considering selling off a healthy chunk of my collection, and I was wondering what would be the best way to do it. I wouldn't want to run an ad in the local newspaper, because you never know what you'll attract.

Putting a FS list on the appropriate forum is another option, but shipping rifles is such a hassle, and there's always that chance that it may get broken during shipment, or the buyer breaks it and claims it arrived that way.

Running online auctions is possible, but then you still have the shipping hassle, and also the week or so delay before the auction closes.

I like the idea of people seeing what they're getting beforehand so that there's no surprises when they receive it. To that extent, renting a table at a show seems like a good idea, but there's the added expense of having to pay for the table and lugging the guns in and out, not to mention total strangers handling your guns, with some even wanting to disassemble them right there and possibly screw it up. Plus, I hate haggling with people.

The only other option I can think of is to take all of them into a reputable dealer and seeing what they'd give you for everything. The drawback there is that I would probably get close to bottom dollar and be forced to take a loss.

Any suggestions?

RobC in Missouri

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/20/02 6:19:47 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: Best Way to Sell Off Collection?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob, I am looking for a blue steel S&W .44 special, either fixed M&P type fixed sights or target sights. Have you got anything like that?

Gunguy aka Jim

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/20/02 6:44:46 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Best Way to Sell Off Collection?
    Shipping isn't really a hassle provided you pack it
    right and ship it insured, so an on-line auction would
    be a very good way to go and or a for sale forum on
    firearm related sites like the "Buy/Sell/Trade" forum
    on this site.

Speaking as a dealer another option you may want to
    take is to have an honest dealer that you know of sell
    them on consignment for you at the prices you know
    are reasonable and work out either a set fee to pay
    the dealer, a percentage comission rate or something
    you both can agree upon, I have done this for quite
    a few customers and this option works well too and
    in my case when I do a consignment for someone I
    will usually list the items on-line and on-line auction
    besides having it in my shop for walk-in shoppers.

TFF VMBB Email Tac

Donny Henry
    (3/20/02 7:02:26 pm)
    Tac took the words right out of my mouth...A friend of mine just sold his M-14 on consignment and got exactly what he wanted for it...had he just sold it outright he might have gotten 3/4 what it was worth.
    ~-~Courage is not the lack of fear...
    but the presence of faith.~-~

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/20/02 7:37:34 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Yep Donny, I really think those are about the best
    options to take.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/20/02 9:21:56 pm)
    Rob - I will likely have two or three tables at the Machinist Hall in June - if you are still looking to sell some, you are more than welcome to some table space, or I will sell them for you on consignment.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/20/02 11:20:43 pm)
    Tell us which ones are for sale

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/21/02 2:15:39 pm)
    I just sold a few rifles, and I include an extra $20 in the shipping for a Bushmaster hard case, they cost about $20 with shipping from Bushmaster. I don't get any complaints about damage, and I'm virtually certain that they'll arrive the same way I shipped them.

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/21/02 3:20:15 pm)
    Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

I'm probably being a bit overcautious regarding shipping. Since everything involves rifles, USPS would be my choice (I probably share the same UPS counter guy that Bob mentioned in another post). The biggest pain is coming up with enough boxes of the appropriate sizes and shipping materials.

Bob, thank you for your very kind offer. I may just take you up on that. I'll send you an email to your home account. BTW, are you doing the Fenton show this weekend? I'll probably pay a visit and see what's happening.

What would I be selling? Let's see if I can remember; everything's cased up, and some of these are still just "possibles" - I haven't fully made up my mind yet. Umm, one, maybe two SA-marked Swede M96s, maybe my Stevens Visible Loader, a laminated stock Russian M44 Mosin-Nagant (this was a top-of-the-line, all-matching, wartime date handpick from AIM when they first got them in, not a later $29.95 special), a Marlin Model 49 exposed hammer pump shotgun (perfect for cowboy action shooting), a couple of Finn Tikka-barrelled Mosin-Nagant M91/30s, perhaps a Springfield M1903 Mark I (pretty rough though) and I think 2-3 others that slip my mind at the moment. ALL C&R stuff. I'll have to go through the collection and see if there's anything else I can give up at the moment.

Thanks again for the advice!

RobC in Missouri

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 3:46:00 pm)
    Rob - I am not doing the Fenton show this weekend, but I will probably be visiting down there. I need to talk to Pete Cuttelli to reserve tables for the Machinist Hall in June, and touch base with Odin Arms Ltd. that is doing some gunsmithing work for me on a couple old Spanish pieces.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/21/02 9:23:50 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    All I can do is drool so far Rob. The laminated Russian sounds very nice - what you going to try and sell it for?

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/22/02 1:37:14 pm)
    I have no idea - I still have to do some research into prices before I price everything.

Since I'm a collector and not a dealer, I'm not really out to make a profit - especially on items that are still available through commercial channels. I may tack on on extra fee for the time and effort it took to clean these puppies up, but that's about it. Of course, I'll probably ask fair market value on items I got at a bargain - it would be silly for me not to do so.

In regards to the M44 - when AIM first advertised these, I believe the very top-of-the-line like I got was something like $89.95 plus the handpick fee (unless that was included; I forget). It has some finish scrapes and whatnot from being palletized, but it is very nice. If you're interested, I'll try to do some pics and come up with a price.... Of course, that's one of the ones that I haven't fully decided to part with (although I do tend to concentrate on Finn Mosins).

Heck, I may even consider trades on some items....

RobC in Missouri

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/22/02 7:21:10 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I am interested Rob (mom's going to kill me). I don't have one of those yet and have always preferred buying from people I know.

You can send a picture to talltlynn@yahoo.com if you decide to sell it (or you can just send the picture anyway and laugh a lot).

I do wish you luck in your endeavors to lighten your load.

Doctor Xring
    (3/23/02 7:41:42 pm)
    Hi Rob -

I would be interested in the Finn Tikka's if you decide you
    want to wrap them up and ship'em.

thanks, dxr

magenta81152@hotmail.com