Best WWII bolt action.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Ursus, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Which of the following wou'ld you say was the best WWII bolt action? Personally, I'll pick the Enfield.
    Kar 98k
    Lee-Enfield MK IV
    Mosin Nagant
    Other (specifie)
  2. Ursus

Ursus New Member

:eek: Sorry, the poll is somewhere else. Hey it's my first time, you know?
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Yeah, this one was going for awhile, but I'll stick my two cents in anyway!:D

The SMLE hands down. And NOT just because I just bought an Ishapore Mk III 2A on Wednesday EITHER....:cool:
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Either the Enfield or the mosin nagant
  5. Mauser Karibiner achtzehn hundert acht und neunzehn! :D

Hands down. ;)
  6. Dave16661

Dave16661 New Member

K98 hands down the best
  7. Alakar

Alakar New Member

I would have to go with the Enfield. I remember reading a quote, can't remember from who, that stated the Springfield was the best shooters rifle, the Mauser was the best made rifle, but the Enfield was the best Battle rifle.

From all accounts I've read the Enfield was easier to produce then the Mauser, more robust then the Springfield, easier to maintain in the field then either of those and had a higher magazine capacity. Everything you would want in a rifle for general issue.
  8. JohnGerald

JohnGerald New Member

The Enfield's best feature is the bolt that cocks on closing; it enables a fairly rapid rate of fire for a bolt action weapon.
  9. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

ROSS MODEL 1905

stir, stir, stir...

best regards, mike.
  10. DFW65

DFW65 New Member

11. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Waitasec...The ROSS?!?!?!

Is this the straight-pull that was so poorly designed it would get reassembled incorrectly, causing all sorts of failures in the field?
  12. Yup, that's the one, John. It was produced in Canada from 1903 until the middle of the First World War, at which point it was withdrawn from service because it was utterly unreliable in the trenches of WWI. Indeed, there was a big scandal about it at the time. Here's what it looked like:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  13. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

Sorry...

but you are both wrong.

the ROSS MODEL 1910 had a bolt that utilized an interupted thread design, wich could be re-assembled incorrectly, causing the bolt to fail to lock into the receiver...

the Model 1905 (i own 2 examples) does not have this problem.

its the most accuratte production contract military bolt action rifle ever made...

you guys are passing on and spreading a negative firearms myth...

one of my Ross Model 1905 rifles is US ord bomb and "screaming eagle head" proofed / the US military purchased about 10,000...

the "problem" with early Ross rifles was realy an ammo problem...

anyone who owns a SMLE rifle knows that the chambers are sloppy / oversized...

this was done deliberatly, to accomadate ammo produced in differant countries, differant time periods, to differant standards, stored under differant conditions...

the original Ross rifles had match spec / grade chambers, and would not function with ammo that did not meet those standards...

this was solved by introducing the LC modification...

LARGE CHAMBER (LC) variants had there chambers "improved" to accept all encountered ammo.

i hate when firearm myths are perpetuated...

thats one of the reasons i buy many guns, to find out the truth behind the myth.

its a topic worth reseraching, if you have the time.

best regards, mike.
  14. Are we talking about the same rifle, Mike? I don't claim to be any sort of expert on these rifles, but the sources I've consulted do seem to indicate there were many, many problems with them. Mostly those problems had to do with poor production controls, but there was also a tendency for the rifles to become too easily clogged with dirt and mud in a field environment, and thus unreliable. There was, in fact, a major diplomatic blowup between Canada and Great Britain over production rights to the Lee Enfield, which apparently led to the development of the Ross during the Boer War. The design was supposed to be an original, but in reality it was based on the Steyr as was later proven.

And yes, you're right, a discussion of old weapons like these is always fun. :D

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl24-e.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_rifle
  15. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

compare the bolt designs between the 1910 model and the 1905 model...

most folks are unaware that there are several differant models or that there are major design differances among them...

the dirt in chamber / failure to function in mud was an ammo problem, not an action design issue (see above referanced LC statement)

the model 1910 interrupted thread bolt design did suffer under these conditions, but not the models that came before it...

production quaulity of the 1905 model is superb, match grade / custom target rifle quality...

won the Wimbldon (sp) championships many times...

i have fired mine under adverse conditions with differant / mixed ammo without proper cleaning...

it works fine.

the US would not have purchased 10,000 of them if they were defective.

the gun in your picture is not the infamous Model 1910...

i did not know the story before i purchased the gun...

and tested it.

it functions better and is more accuratte that my K31 or .236 LEE-NAVY.

dig deeper, its a story worth learning.

best regards, mike.
  16. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

1903a3 or the 1903 us military bolt action 30-06 and thats picking them above my swede 96's, my k-31 swiss, and my 1891 ruskie nagant. i personally prefer the m14/m1a but we are talking bolt guns here.
    blackhawkkid308