The Firearms Forum banner

BEWARE, BY READING THE LABELS....

656 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  drymag 
#1 ·
ANYTHING GOES INTO CHINA'S FOOD SUPPLY...
The recent revelations that a Shanghai-based meat supplier to McDonald's, KFC and other chain restaurants used expired chicken and beef in its products serve as a stark reminder that China needs to do a lot more to improve its inadequate food safety system.
After tainted milk killed at least six babies and sickened thousands in 2008, Chinese officials overhauled the country's food safety laws and promised to crack down on negligent companies and corrupt bureaucrats.
The scandals have kept coming. Since April 2013, more than 155 people have died from a strain of avian influenza, a disease linked to poor sanitary conditions in poultry markets. Last year, officials found high levels of cadmium, which has been linked to organ failure and cancer, in rice at markets and restaurants in Guangdong Province. And, earlier this year, Walmart stores in China recalled packages of donkey meat that contained meat from other animals.
While the 2009 food law improved safety regulations - banning the use of unauthorized additives in food, for instance - inadequate enforcement remains a major problem. Many officials responsible for enforcing the law have not been properly trained to do their jobs, says John Yasuda, a fellow at the University of Pennsylvania's Center for the Study of Contemporary China.
The country's water and soil pollution problems have also hurt China's ability to clean up its food system, Yanzhong Huang, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, wrote recently. Even the prime minister of China, Li Keqiang, said last year that the nation's food system has "a great deal of outstanding problems and potential hidden dangers."
Weak and uneven enforcement has encouraged an anything-goes culture among food producers, including at Shanghai Husi Food, the company accused of putting expired meat into fast-food meals. In a local TV broadcast, a manager at the Shanghai factory told government investigators that it was company policy to use expired meat and that the practice had gone on for years. TV reporters also showed footage of plant workers using chicken meat that was two weeks past its expiration date and beef that was six months past its use-by date. The meat was used to make chicken nuggets, sandwiches and other food. Some of the factory's production was exported to Japan.
Chinese officials recently proposed changes to the 2009 law that would impose tougher civil and criminal penalties on companies and people who violate food safety regulations. These changes will only be effective if they are accompanied by stronger enforcement and a greater effort to deal with environmental degradation.

NEW YORK TIMES EDITORIAL BOARD
24 JULY 2014

See less See more
#2 ·
I do read the labels, and I don't buy food that comes from China, Mexico, or most other countries. The problem is that anytime you eat out, anywhere, you will probably be served food that originated in these countries. When I can I look for the label that states "Product of the US", or the word "Domestic". I also try to buy free range meats, not that I'm a health nut, because I'm not, but because I don't like the thought of consuming all the chemicals they use in growing our meat in America. From chick to plate in six weeks just ain't right!! I won't eat it if I can help it!

#3 ·
Products are being prepared for sale in America. From slaughter to processing. Once ready for packaging, it goes to china. On the labels it will say, made in America, but in small print it says, packaged in china. That's when the poisons are introduced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.