Beware of Black Hills Leather

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by Joe F, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Joe F

Joe F New Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Hello,
    I wanted to post a warning to all who know of or are thinking of using Blackhills Leather to get a custom leather holster for CCW. The owner, Rudy Lozano, is very good at taking orders, just not so good at fulfilling them. I ordered and paid for 2 SOB holsters for 2 different Glocks back on Dec 24, and to date still have not received the first one I ordered. The worst part of it is the lies told to me to string me along month after month. I have over 14 requests and 12 responses from Rudy that the holsters will be "shipped next week" or he will "check on that and get back to you (me)", but he never does. After threatening him that I would post his emails and photos, he has finally stopped responding with lies that they would be shipped or he would check on it... Beware, he is either incompetent or just a plain con artist. My only recourse is to hope the bank will reverse credit card charges sent to him.

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    Using your very first post to bash a company is not highly thought of by most of the folks that hang around here, but welcome to The Firearms Forum anyway.

Never heard of them myself but I did a search and found the website. They have a phone number listed for order status. Did you try calling on the telephone and actually talking with him?

crystalphoto likes this.

3. Joe F

Joe F New Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Hi,
    It may not be proper etiquette but have you ever been jerked around and screwed out of money and had no recourse? I guess frustration led me to it, but I highly doubt I am the first to experience this with Rudy, but I would love it if I was the last. If that makes me ineligible to be on the forum, I will excuse myself. I remember the days when companies like Brownells would bend over backwards to make sure everything was delivered and their customers were happy. I for one was happy to pay them because of their customer service. And no, I do not believe the customer is always right...I do believe the company should deliver what you paid for. To answer your question, yes, I have had 3 phone conversations with him. There is always an excuse and a promise that never materializes. I would rather someone took my money and then laughed and said they con'd me....for some reason I can't post the email thread on here, happy to shoot it to you if you doubt me, I can send a phone log too.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    I have no reason to doubt you, I don't know you! I do not want your emails or your phone log and there is no reason to ban you because of your first post being a bash. I only made true statements in both paragraphs.

crystalphoto likes this.
  5. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I know the OP must be frustrated, and I cannot countenance a business stringing along a customer. High quality leather goods designed for handguns are in HUGE demand right now, especially here in Texas, since we passed open carry. Most reputable custom makers will tell you upfront that they have a 6 month or more backlog. Not making excuses, just stating a fact. I had a long wait for a DM Bullard IWB custom holster for an out-of-production pistol this year. At least they were honest about the wait time.

crystalphoto likes this.
  6. Joe F

Joe F New Member

Jun 14, 2016
    That is a good point and I did not know that....I could even live with that if it wasn't for the fact that for 4 months I have been told that it "will ship this week", or "I will look into it and get back to you"...I literally have 14 emails like that. But thank you for the heads up on other wait times. The frustrating part is, that as useful as Kydex can be, I still really like leather holsters and sheaths...the craftsmanship and "old school" feel appeals to me. That just makes this situation, along with the time and lost funds so frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2016
  7. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

you should be able to take this up with your credit card company
    tell them you have been taken advantage of and never got your product
    what bothers me about this is that most honorable companies don't charge your card until they actually ship your item

I can see being back logged and taking several weeks to get caught up, but telling you on the phone that it will ship over and over and not shipping it sounds like a lie to me regardless of the intentions

bamajoey and Pawpaw40 like this.