beware of jarrett1

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by heyjoe, Apr 20, 2012.

1. heyjoe

heyjoe New Member

i recently posted about wanting to buy a magazine for a walther model 9. jarret1 aka kristi d jarrett contacted me that she had one in good condition. i paid and now nothing. no delivery, doesnt answer messages.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Re: beware of jarrett 1

I hope that you have some nexus (relationship) to the U S Mail with this transaction. I have had unfortunate experiences with the kind of problem that you describe.

If you have the nexus, send the seller a notice that if you do not receive a prompt refund of all monies that you paid; you will seek her felony prosecution for Mail Fraud under Title 18 of the United States Code.

If she does not comply, contact the U S Postal Inspector Office in your area and file a formal complaint. All mail fraud is a federal felony, regardless of the amount of money involved. Few thieves want to deal with Federal Law Enforcement Agencies.

It is for the foregoing reason that I always insist on making or receiving payment by USPS Money Order when dealing with private individuals via the Internet. I prefer to establish a U S Mail nexus when dealing with unknown businesses also. The USPS Money Order establishes the nexus to the US Mail and makes prosecution for felony Mail Fraud possible.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. heyjoe

heyjoe New Member

thanks for the information.
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

nice
  6. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you paid with a credit card, just call their Fraud Department and Dispute the payment. They'll attempt to contact the seller and straighten it out. Most card companies want a written letter as a follow up to the discussion.

A little effort on your part may save somebody else from getting ripped off.
  7. heyjoe

heyjoe New Member

i did order the triple k magazine but it doesnt work in the model 9. there is a toe on the floor plate on the triple k magazine which is not on the originals. This toe prevents the magazine from being able to be inserted far enough to catch. i had to return that magazine to triple k.
  8. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

They shipped the wrong mag and should know better. The W9 mag has no toe. They probably shipped a Baby FN (Browning) mag by mistake. Too Bad.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

how much money was involved joe?
  10. heyjoe

heyjoe New Member

$70

the same person has been doing the same thing on a trap shooters forum. you post something you want to buy and she contacts you via pm that she has it. i was foolish. i never have had a problem buying something in a gun forum off of other members before in over 10 years of doing so. I did send yet another message making clear that there would be action taken. she then finally answered so we will see. i will take action, she can take that to the bank.
    lesson learned. i didnt want any of you to fall for the same scam. sometimes we let what we need or want blind us to our usual level of common sense, especially when that item is not easy to come by.
  11. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Is she in the Chicago area?
  12. Freedom66K

Freedom66K New Member

How did you pay? If you used a card, just file a chargeback with your card company.
  13. heyjoe

heyjoe New Member

lubbock texas
  14. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

There is always the possibility that the vendor sent you a mag and it was lost. If that is the case then there is no fraud.

If there is no nexus to the US Mail relative to this transaction, the U S Postal inspection Service cannot get involved.

If there is a U S Mail nexus, they are required to get involved, if you complain.

The foregoing is not to say that they will want to go after, or aggressively go after, a criminal who is ripping off less than $1K per year, which seems to have been their trigger point the last time that I got involved helping someone with your problem, about 8 years ago, involving a professional Ebay "rip off" artist named Karen in Chicago.

However, if you can and do file a complaint; they will have to contact "jarrett 1". If you know of other similar "rip offs" involving this person, mention them in your complaint. Depending on the facts, you might get your money back or put "jarrett 1" out of business.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  15. heyjoe

heyjoe New Member

so far only attempted rip offs of others.

there was no magazine mailed.

ill let you know how it works out.
  16. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I am not certain and will have to check, but I think that I once made a functional W9 magazine by modifying a aftermarket mag for a FN Baby (Baby Browning in the USA).
  17. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

did you pay in cash? money orders have receipts and traceable. same with checks, cards, paypal... short of driving by and throwing cash out the window at her, you should be able to prove payment enough to at least file a police report
  18. heyjoe

heyjoe New Member

im working on it. i have gathered a lot of information about her, including scams she is currently trying to pull on another firearms related forum.
  19. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

After combing thru our members list, I'm not finding Jarrett 1 as a TFF member.

Maybe you should make that clear in this post as I really don't like the fact that it makes TFF look bad. :mad:
  20. heyjoe

heyjoe New Member

on the members list under J, page 14, fourth member from the top. Jarrett1. there is no space between the t and 1. my typo in title.
    im not trying to make TFF look bad and i dont feel that way at all. I was just trying to warn the members here since this is where she sent me a PM based on my wanted to buy. It can and does happen on any gun site.
    Last edited: May 15, 2012