bidding wars on auction site

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gunguy, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

OK, I got my nose bloodied by some cruel ole farts on the ebay auction trying to nail myself a 40 year old orange Lyman bullet lubrisizer press.

The bidding got pretty intense by two other guys, and I pooped out because time ran out...and some dude got it for $72 plus about $11 shipping which came to $83...a 40 year old press.

A new Lyman lube press can be had from Midway for $89.95 plus shipping...sucker.

Bemoaning my loss I waited another hour and an RCBS lube-a-matic in cherry condition came up...see attachment. Got it for $68 shipped and its a far better engineered lube press than the Lyman antique.

These RCBS lube press cost $124.95 from Midway plus shipping.

All in all things worked out the best for this ole fart and came out pretty good in the quality dept.

Gunguy

Attached Files:

2. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

This is the correct picture of the winning bid on RCBS lube-a-matic press...although the other picture is the same model...mine did not come with a box.

Attached Files:

• i-1.jpg
      i-1.jpg
      File size:
      8.9 KB
      Views:
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay, now I know where to send all my cast bullets. GG, expect a package in a few weeks. Return when lubed and sized. Thanks. Nice machine GG!

Rick

:D :D :D :D
  4. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Rick, ah ain't gonna lube no bullets until I get some new lube...what a mess.

I put some of that SPG lube in in my ole 450 Lyman and it is really a soft mushy mess to size bullets with it. Going to go back to Red Rooster lube when I can find some.

The trouble with living up here in the north central Wisconsin there ain't no good shops with adqueate supplys. I have to practically order every dang thing from some other state...and this takes far too much time to suit me.

Rick, what kind lube do you like to use, and what kind of lubrisizer do you use it in.

I found Dr. in North Carolina who's selling brand new RCBS lube dies for $13 on ebay, plus $3.00 to mail it. That is really a good deal...so, I ordered another .454 lube sizer die for my new acquisition the RCBS lube-a-matic thats a coming.

That lube-a-matic can use either RCBS or Lyman lube dies.

Gunguy
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I've found the two best ways to buy on E-bay are to either take advantage of the "Buy-it-now" feature if the price is reasonable, or if there's bidding to be done, I bookmark the auction, then wait til it's almost over. I bring up two screens on the 'puter, one with the item, and a second set up with the highest bid I'm willing to pay for that item. I wait until there's only a few seconds left, then submit my bid.

This is called "sniping" in online auction circles, and it works better than placing early bids. When you bid early, there's millions of others out there who woudn't have given it a second though, but thier ego dictates them to out bid you. If you don't get yourself into any early bidding wars, the price will normally stay low. Other's may be watching as well, and since they don't see anybody else bidding, will relax....then at the last minute you out bid them, and not leave them enough time to counter bid against you.....result...you not only win, but you get it at a much better price point......
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

GG, I have a Saeco lube sizer. As for shooting outdoor, I use Javelina Alox lube. It is a mix of 50% Alox and 50% beeswax. However, due to the Alox, you do not want to use this indoors unless a very good ventilation system is in use. I also use Red Rooster. My trick is to keep them in the refridgerator until use. Let it warm up for a few minutes and then off ya go. When it gets mushy, put back in refridgerator for a few minutes or use another stick while that one recooperates to harden a bit. Down here, I keep all lubed bullets in the fridge until used. No worry after they have been put in cases.

Another trick is to find an electronics repair store and find "freeze spray" then just periodically spray the outside of the lube tube until it hardens again.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2003
  7. RobW

RobW New Member

It looks like this e-bay auctions are VERY reasonable. In one of our "Pawn-Shops" you can get a Lyman Crusher single stage press, well worn, some parts lost for $ 140.00, NO discount!

Same item at Midway, new, all parts $ 88.28.

I see this piece of junk since I first stepped in that "pawn-thing" 3 years ago. NEVER saw anybody buying something in there, all the stuff they had, they still have now, just collecting dust year after year after year...

I think they make a fortune in 800% interest loans or run a money loundering business (I once experienced a "Rolladen-Factory" in my old country that had outragous prices, and anyhow never time to make an offer. It came out some years after I tried to get in business with them, that it was an outpost of the secret service).
  8. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

You bethca I hip to the last 20 seconds and jamb in a final bid that I think will win...but I had some pros who did the same thing and still out bid me.

On the Lyman Crusher press, I'll pass on buying one of those from anyone...even if it sold for $14.00. This is one of the poorest engineered press made in modern times. Even a 40 to 50 year old Herter press is built better and stronger.

The Crusher linkage is extremely poor in design and loose as a goose. My son bought me one for my birthday and I tried it and broke two link piston pins...sent it back and had him get his money back.

I have never found any bargans at a pawn shop and don't expect to either.

Tony Mig is right about don't show any interest in an item and the price stays low. Got my eye on one now and just bideding my time...heh heh.

Gunguy the sneakey freakey
  9. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

with proxy bidding on Ebay last minute bidding is pointless, at least in my experience
  10. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

That's true in concept FN, but in reality every bid placed gets logged into the bid history that is accessable by anyone who might be intrested. Once a bid is placed on an item, then intrest is shown on that item, the more intrest shown in any particular item breeds more intrest and higher bids.
    This is why it helps to just track the auction until the end, figure out what the highest price you are willing to pay for siad item, and place it with only seconds left. If another sniper out snipes you, he did so with a bid that was higher than you were willing to pay, the benefit to this is.....the other guy probably ended up paying more for the item that he really wanted to spend because your last minute bid drove up the final cost.
  11. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Tony, may I call you Tony?

You hit the nail right on the head...with the perception of true wisdom...and that is exactly what happen with that 40 year old Lyman lube/sizer press that went for $72.00 plus $11.00 shipping fee...cost that guy $83.00 for that old outdated press. He could have bought a 2003 model 4500 Lyman lube/sizer press for only a few bucks more.

These guys get caught up in the interest displayed on an item and the war is on...their only thought is to outbid you and deprive your butt from getting said item...not that they really need the damn thing or not.

I admit I'm an amature sniper, and I have a pretty good grasp on what something is worth and won't bid anymore than I think it should get...if someone out bids me then by out sniping me...then they are welcome to it.

One thing about the auctions...there is always another simular item coming along shortly...you just have to be patient.

I've really built up my reloading station with stuff from ebay.

But a lot of it still comes from the website supply houses like Midway, Graf & Son, etc.

Gunguy
  12. FN_Project90

FN_Project90 New Member

I usually buy electronics and car parts on ebay and there are lots of what I am looking for, so a "bid war" has never happened in my experience. I usually stick to what I know I will use a lot otherwise I buy stuff I don't need.
  13. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I dunno, guys. I've never really understood the "bid wars" issue, myself.

You see, I will bid the max I'm willing to pay for an item when I find it. If I win it, GREAT! If not, then no sweat. Another one will be back on eBay soon enough. Do I "lose" bids this way? I guess you might call it that, but I only figure I "lose" if I pay more than I wanted to on an item. If someone "snipes" the item I wanted, I figure that he wanted it more than I did, anyways. People worry about paying more than they should on eBay. That only happens if you let the 'auction' atmosphere override your common sense and you go crazy with the bidding.