Big Bore and Long Range

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

colasweet
    (3/1/02 12:40:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Big Bore and Long Range
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey All

I want to get a large caliber rifle that is very accurate to very long range. Honestly its more just 'cause I want one than having any specific need for one. Of the "common" big bore rounds [That is; the ones I can get ready made without paying a gunsmith bucks to whip up], Which of them shoot well to extreme range?Hey All

I want to get a large caliber rifle that is very accurate to very long range. Honestly its more just 'cause I want one than having any specific need for one. Of the "common" big bore rounds [That is; the ones I can get ready made without paying a gunsmith bucks to whip up], Which of them shoot well to extreme range?

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 12:55:02 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Big Bore and Long Range
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you consider long range? A Remington 700 PSS in .308 can and will go out to about 1000 yards. But then again so will a Remington 700 ADL - only difference between the two is how they are made.

Savage 110 (don't quote me on this - cause i'm real bad about numbers) makes a decent long distance rifle as well.

If you could be a little more specific I'm sure the guys here can help you out.

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/1/02 12:58:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Big Bore and Long Range
    Sounds like you want something in .50BMG. You can't get bigger than that. It also has long distance shooting taken care of too. Only problem is they are a little pricey, to buy and to shoot.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Edited by: jeeper1 at: 3/1/02 8:53:23 pm

skratch
    (3/1/02 12:59:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Since 1873
    Sounds like the 45-70-405 Government might be what your'e looking for. Lots of original rifles and all kinds of reproductions in this caliber.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 2:52:02 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Since 1873
    Sako TRG-S .338 Lapua Magnum.

Hey, on a side note, Armalite has finally confirmed that I am getting the AR30's I ordered (.300 Win and .338 Lapua).... sometime this summer. AR180's are still six months out.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 9:07:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Since 1873
    Welcome to TFF, colasweet!

Big bore, and long range, you say?

www.warships1.com/Weapons...50_mk7.htm

"Reach out and touch someone!"

Edited by: Xracer at: 3/1/02 9:12:35 am

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 10:17:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Since 1873
    .338LM This baby will reach out there. Regards LTS

colasweet
    (3/1/02 7:02:12 pm)
    Hey All

I hadn't defined long range as of yet but I've always wanted a big ole .458, ever since I was a kid reading safari stories. I know I could just buy a .458 but I wondered if there was another round of considerable size that was very accurate at long range. I figure if I'm going to shoot a round like that I'd like it to be a tack driver. I thought about the .50BMG but from what I've seen the rifles are way overpriced. I shoot milsurp mostly, 8mm and 7.62x54R Mausers and Mosins. I'm in the mood for trying something new.

PS: Hey Xracer, do you know where I can get of of those 16"/50 Mark 7s? That muzzle blast pattern looks like fun!

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/4/02 9:50:42 pm)
    Neighbor, what you want/need is the Armalite AR-50!!!!
    Caliber-50BMG Length-59.5" Weight-33.2 # Barrel-31" Chrome moly,8 groove,RH 1:15inch twist-Lifetime warranty.
    You can buy Yugo milsurp ammo for about a buck a round +/-.
    Armalite literature sez-"243-like recoil with a full-charge 50caliber..most efficient 50 cal muzzle brake on the market"
    MSRP--$2,615 plus shipping.

LRS2338Lapua
    (3/31/02 11:47:56 pm)
    I'm shooting the Blaser R93 in the LRS-2 chambered for .338 Lapua Magnum. The rifle can hit a picnic plate at 1500 yards 10 times out of ten with the Lock Base B408 FMJ Match in 250 gr. I'm sure the Nightforce NXS scope helps but the accuracy of this critter is amazing. My shooting partner made a 4 shot group of 1-3/16" at 600 yards with it. He's a better shot than I am but I do real well in long distance sillouette with this rifle.

The round is inherently accurate, the rifle is about the same weight as any large caliber hunting rifle and shoots very nicely off a bipod. It is a true take down rifle and with my Arms 22 mounts it goes together in less than two minutes and is always true to the 400 yard zero. I think that the only other weapon I've shot in this caliber with the accuracy of the Blaser is the Accuracy International AWS for three times the money.

I liked the LRS-2 so much I now have an order in for the 22-250 with the quick change kit for .308 and another Nightforce NXS in 12-42x56. I highly recommend the NPR-2 reticle for target and varmit.

note: I do not work for Sig Arms, Blaser or Nightforce. I draw houses for a living...

Alphamale
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/1/02 12:48:10 am)
    Welcome to the board LRS
    Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world and its people's mindless games---Incubus

Rocket2Mars
    (4/12/02 5:46:21 pm)
    I have never done any big bore shooting, BUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD, shooting a .458 Win Magnum is like being kicked by a mule when you aren't looking. You may want to test fire something like that at your local range if you see someone with one and they would let you try it. I don't have that kind of money to buy something I can't shoot.
    Happy shooting.

jer2003
    (4/13/02 6:40:43 pm)
    I don't know much about the 460 Wby Mag, but it might fill the bill.
    However, the recoil would be almost dangerous for your shoulder if fired from the prone position. You would need to use that position for extremely long range.
    Of course, you could get a custom rifle that would be heavy enough to take the recoil. Absent a heavier rifle, I don't think anyone could take the recoil of the factory rifle from prone.

Jerry

ldsteff
    (4/24/02 10:17:33 pm)
    I wanted one for years got a Serbu .50cal BMG singlel action but
    the costs never stop.The basic weapon wasn't bad at $2100.00 then the
    .50 scope rings,then .50 cal scope the ammo you can buy sucks unless you
    want to pay 6 bucks a round,Now I am looking for reloading dies for .50BMG
    the military ammo at $1.00-$3.00/rd varies up to 800 fps .
    You gotta watch some of these 50s they will shoot match ammo only some
    the bolts slides out so you can "snap" a round into it and the Barret unless you pay $7500.00
    for the big semi-auto their others are over priced.Check out >www.biggerhammer.net< you can pick up a lot of good info there as well as >>www.fcsa.org<<(fifty cal. shooter assn) The Barret is 43 lbs hell my Serbu s
    25Lbs and when you are humping it it weighs 50.
    But when you shoot a concrete block at 1,000 yards and that
    sucker turns into powder its all worth it!!!!

anchored
    (8/2/02 2:06:32 pm)
    I've been saving up for a .50 BMG for ages, ever since I read about a shooting club in PA that doesn't bother with targets closer than a mile away. The piggy bank is getting heavy, so maybe someday . . .

As a dreamer of dreams and a travelling man, I have chalked up many a mile; read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles.
    -J. Buffett
    {Auction45}{Famous Flying Yen}{my Blog}