BIG BORE RELOADING

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by THEGUNDOC, Dec 5, 2012.

1. THEGUNDOC

THEGUNDOC New Member

HELLO, SHOOTING THE 458 X 1 1/2" OR 2", IN A FULL SIZED 458 WIN MAG CHAMBER, ANY POTENTIAL PROBLEM WHEN THE BULLET HITS THE RIFELING (LIKE A PRESSURE SPIKE..) ? ALSO, COULD I SAFELY SEAT THE BULLET DEEP INTO A FULL SIZED CASE - LETTING THE INSIDE OF THE CASE BE ALL THE EXTRA FREE BORE (THIS WOULD BE FOR SHOOTING LITE LOADS).. ?

SAME QUESTION IN A 45/70.

THANK YOU - TIM.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Tim,
    Welcome to TFF. I'm just going to bump this up to the top and maybe one of the Mods will move it to the reloading forum. There are a bunch of knowledgable folks there that I'm sure will be able to answer your questions but I'm pretty sure that they'll want more info.
  3. THEGUNDOC

THEGUNDOC New Member

SORRY, I MISSED THAT FORUM TITLE ON MY FIRTS TRY LAST NIGHT.

THANKS - TIM.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Not something I would recommend, why not correct size cases/bullets with light loads? I shoot quite a bit of .458 win mag myself, what is your reason for using shortened cases? just curious.

and Welcome!
  5. THEGUNDOC

THEGUNDOC New Member

I'M JUST INTRIEGED BY THE LITTLE 1 1/2" CASE. SEEMED LIKE A GOOD WAY TO SHOOT LITE LOADS, AND THEN USING A FULL LENGTH CASE WITH THE BULLET SEATED DEEP INSIDE (TO MATCH OAL OF THE SHORT CARTRIDGE) - JUST MADE ME WONDER ? ? ?

THANKS - TIM.

SAME "LOGIC" (?) AND QUESTIONS.. APPLY TO THE 45/70 & THE 45 SILOUETTE.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Why can't you shoot light loads in a full size case? the amount of powder is the only thing you need to change, the case length has little to do with any recoil.

Just seems like a dangerous way to achieve what's already very easy to do with standard cases.

plus, I would imagine that accuracy would be not so great with that much jump and pressures would likely not be consistent or safe.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

my pet 'light' load for the .458 is my 405 gn RN gas checked home cast with about 62gns of IMR 4064 behind it, doesn't thump too bad and is pretty accurate in my No.1

Rel 7 isn't bad either.

H4198 HURTS! ouch.... especially with 500gn bullets...
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

anything over 40 cal and heavier than 400 gr hurts.. no matter how you cut it.. Some of you guys are just gluttons for punishment.

I personally would just use the proper cases and load .45/70 loads in them if i wanted light loads.
  9. THEGUNDOC

THEGUNDOC New Member

HI GUY'S, THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT.. I HAVE BEEN RELOADING FOR 40+ YEARS. I HAVE USED FULL LENGTH 45/70 CASES FOR LITE LOADS (FROM TRAP DOOR PRESSURES TO SOME THAT MADE MY RUGER # 1 HARD TO OPEN.. MY QUESTION WAS SIMPLY, MAYBE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WITH EXPERIANCE ENOUGH TO KNOW IF LOADING A BULLET DEEP INSIDE A FULL SIZE CASE (WITH A LITE POWDER CHARGE) - TO APPROXIMATE A SHORTER CASE (45 SILHOUETTE - IN A 45/70) WOULD HAVE ANY NEGATIVE EFFECT, OR IF IT WOULD WORK JUST LIKE THE SHORTER CASE.

THANKS AGAIN - TIM. STILL LOOKING FOR A GOOD ANSWER..