big difference in federal and rem 38spl ammo

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by soundguy, Dec 4, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

went to the range today to let my mom shoot a variety of 38's.. had a box of federal 38 lrn with me that i had been using in my rosse lever gun. ( no issues.. shot great )

stopepd by walmart and grabbed some remington fmj.. etc.

out to the range.

starting shooting hte lrn federal to use them up.. noticed they chambers .. hmm.. stiff in the revolvers ( charter arms, tarus 85 and a smith ).. stiff but went in without 'forcing' them.. lets just say um.. good and snug..

on the tarus 85 occasionally a shot cartrige with drift back, and due to the snuggness make a drag ont he back of the frame when rotating.. enough drag that you could feel once you had 3-4 of them fired.

ran out of those and switched to the remington fmj

night and day difference.

drop into the cyls like every other handgun ammo and cyl fit i'm used to.. fired fin, no drag.. extracted and fell out when you dumpe dthe pistol cyl over.. the deferal pushed out with the extracor and then you had to finger pick each cartridge the rest of the way out.. though came out easy enough.

so.. what's the deal ? the lrn got a lil lip ?

brass on the wide side of acceptable?

none involved were plus p etc.

all guns in good repair.. most on the newish side... including the rossi lever gun, which digested either round just fine...

odd quirk? or?

in any case.. next outing with mom i'll just grab more fmj....
  2. B27

B27 New Member

the Federal was evidently loaded to a higher pressure.

I love to plink 7Up cans at 25 yards with my .38/.357 revolvers and a short while ago got interested in seeing whose cheap loads would group best.

I bought 500 of each of the following...

Federal "American Eagle" 158gr. LRN

Remington "UMC" 158gr. LRN

Winchester "USA" 158gr. LRN

Black Hills "Blue Box" 158gr. LRN

The Remington UMC was filthy as all get out.....it also produced groups at 25 yards off the bench less than half the size of all the other loads. 1.75 inches.

Guns used were a six inch model 19, a four inch model 586 and a four inch model 15. :)
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Over the years this is what i have found.

I had a baby eagle in 40 that blew up on me with fed factory ammo

I had a 308 rifle do the same with fed am eagle.

If i put fed shotgun shells in my mossberg i get crap in my eye. No other brand does this.

So one day i decided to look real close to those fed 308.

This is my opinion only and i am not trying to get in a fight.

Unless it is lake city mil spec by fed i will not buy it, period. In fact you can not give me a fed bullet to shoot in my guns, I simply will not put it in there.
    If you take a good hard look at fed lc cases as oposed to any other fed case you will find a difference. Mic it.

In my opinion fed ammo cases other than LC are made to the long side of the tolerence for chambers. I prefer Hornady, Remington, Winchester in that order.

SO i am not suprise to hear your complaint. I simply cant stand fed brass.
  4. soundguy

hey now.. good idea.. i think I still have a few of those fed 38 lrn unfired. I'll mick ( not caliper ) and compair to the few rem fmj I have left...

I take it my rossi lever gun has a liberal chamber compaired tot he wheelguns..
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Federal ammo is about all I buy. Never had a problem with it in any of my guns! Federal has been making ammo for almost 100 years, they must be doing something right!
  6. soundguy

it all fired.. it just chamberd and extracted a lil 'stiff' in some of the revolvers.. unlike the rem.. the only 2 ammo's we shot that day.

I was unsure if it had to do with the rem being fmj and the federal being lrn etc?
  7. soundguy

ps.. federal lrn is all i've ever shot in that rossi lever gun.

goes fine... -0- issues there..
  8. B27

B27 New Member

.308 Winchester and 7.62x51 are not the same cartridge.

I only WISH I could afford to shoot Federal factory ammo exclusively.
  9. soundguy

not sure how that applies here?