Big Horn Arms of South Dakota Info?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by FloridaFialaFan, Dec 3, 2009.

1. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Big Horn Arms pistol, .22rf single-shot. Only info I have is a report that approximately 1200 were made by a South Dakota company in the late 1960s. The gun is stamped BIG HORN ARMS WTN - S.D. and I cannot figure what city the WTN might indicate.

[​IMG]

Stock is a molded plastic which looks a LOT like wood. Gun is stamped 22 SHORTS ONLY.

Any info on these guns and even an educated guess as to value of one, would be greatly appreciated. The unusual box the pistol is leaning on is its original box which has the handy plastic carry handle on it. Only gun box I've ever seen like this.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  2. Forrest

Forrest New Member

This gun was made in Watertown,South Dakota and went belly up in early 1970s. They also made a 410 mini-mag single shot shot gun. 1200 shot guns where made. I have two left s# 12 and 24. They where made of mostly plastic. Very similar to the pistol. I live in Watertown and bought a number of the shot guns when SBA sold the co out. That had to be in the early 1970s.
  3. FloridaFialaFan

Thanks for that info Forrest. Do any of these pistols show up for sale around Watertown? I know it's been 40 years ago, but one could come to light from a former employee's estate, or whatever?

Maybe I should start watching the local paper's classfied ads. Do you know the name of the local newspaper(s)?

Thanks for any further info you can come up with.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your pistol is listed in the Blue Book of Gun Values as follows:

BIG HORN ARMS CORP.
    PISTOLS: SINGLE SHOT

TARGET PISTOL
    - .22 Short cal. only, unique action permitting auto. ejection, ambidextrous stock made of molded Tufflex with carvings, 26 oz. Approx. 1,200 mfg. Disc. in the late 1960s.
    Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $175 $150 $135 $125 $115 $105 $95
  5. FloridaFialaFan

Thanks, wonderwhippet. I'm NOT a big fan of Blue Book and didn't even bother to check my copy. Above what you furnished was exactly what I was looking for. It states, "Previous manufacturer located in Watertown, SD."

I guess I shouldn't take stuff for granted. If I can't find something in the Standard Catalog of Firearms I figure no one else is gonna' have it listed either.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF