Big-Ugly....It`s back

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by LIKTOSHOOT, Oct 31, 2006.

1. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

What was once the Thunder Five and made fun of, then moved into the collector box. Taurus has got it under a few names, one is the 44Ten....but I have seen it under another name. Being advertised as the ultimate up close personal defense (used in car ad)

5 shot: 45LC or .410. Switch every other some heavy bird/buck/slug/45LC/last choice???

IT`S ALIVE!!!!.......lol

LTS
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Yea Taurus's new 44/10 is big that is for sure.
    I like the stainless version but the blue version leaves alot to be desired
  3. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

I don't think it's neccessarily ugly. Not the most attractive revolver ever though. I think the shorter bbl model is worse looking than the longer bbl model and the blued has a bit more "class" if that's possible with this revolver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

It's a "Good Thing"! If any of you have seen the energy available from the .45 Colt cartridge in a weapon 'up to speed', for it, you will agree it is awesome; the limitation on performance for this round exists because of the single action Colt revolver that it was first chambered in!
    Put the case in a Freedom Arms Revolver, or the old Winchester Trapper(1982), that's in my rack, and the rules for loading, and the external ballistics, change, dramatically! About 15 % more 'Juice' than is available from the .44 Mag, at Max loads for that cartridge, and not really working much, to do it.
    Like Freedom, Taurus has put the locking bolt cuts between, instead of over, the cylinder bores, by going to a five shot cylinder; by stertching the frame and the cylinder, they accomodate the .410 case, as well.
    Loaded with five rounds of #9 shot, ought to make a fine house gun! Anything that does not fall to the shot loads, will likely burn, from the muzzle flash!
    FWIW, "Big-Ugly", to some, is "Large, soft, warm, and satisfying", to others.
    Case in point: A couple of friends and I drove to New Mexico, a few years ago, for the Mule Deer season, and, of course, Murphy kicked in, almost at once. I packed a .40 Sharps single shot, to hunt, and a .375 H&H, bolt gun, as a spare rifle; when Larry saw my ammo box, for the two, the abuse started, over 'Elephant guns'.
    Murphy's 'If it can go wrong, it will' Law kicked in almost immediately, with Larry's .06 fogging the scope almost as quickly as the snow started.
    I offered him the .375, to hunt with, and told him to shoot just as he would with the .06, but expect a bit more recoil.
    He dumped his deer at 380 yds, across a canyon, with a single shot, that morning, and has been quite contrite, since.
    He now owns two "Elephant guns", in that caliber!
    That's what I call "Large, soft, warm, and satisfying"
  5. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

I hunt squirrel with a double-barrel .410, I also use this as my home defense gun. Some would question the strength of the .410, but anything with enough power to blow a squirrel in half (and yes, I know that from experience) would do some nasty things to a person in its effective range. I'd heard about this gun a while ago and I've honestly been thinking of buying one as a hunting back-up weapon.