Biggest Factor for Accurate Loads?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by steve4102, Dec 6, 2011.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

What is the most important factor in your quest for rifle accuracy?
    A. Bullet
    B. Powder
    C. OAL
    D. Bullet Weight
    E. Powder Charge
    F. Brass

I do it like this. I select a bullet based on it's intended purpose and I stick with it. For Hunting rifles I start with Nosler Partitions, I like em. I will run the gamut with several powders and powder charges until I find a powder/charge that satisfies my accuracy needs. Then I may adjust seating depth to try and tighten it up a bit. So, for my hunting rifles I would have to say (B) powder. Next is (E) powder charge.
    If I can't get the Partitions to shoot then I will switch to a Sierra Gameking and start all over. If the Sierra's don't shoot I give up on the rifle.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

So far from my limited reloading experience, and a lot of reading, I think it's a combination of just about everything, including primers and brass, and being consistant with everything, components, etc.,
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

When it comes down to it; I'd say that Time is the biggest factor in producing accurate loads. All factors that you listed are variables and IMO there isn't a specific one that is more/less important than any other. Time to develop the load(s) and gather accurate data is the most crucial factor in getting results in the accuracy dept.
  4. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

5. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

They are all equally important. Screw up any one of them and you turn a tack driver into a scattergun.
  6. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree 100% with these guys. I don"t think I could catagorize or list any factor over another as more important.If you"ve found an accurate load for a particular gun,then change a factor such as bullet weight,one or more factors will likely need to be changed to obtain the same accuracy.It takes time to adjust all the factors to reach your goal of a safe,accurate,and consistent reload. IMHO JOE.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Steve you mirror my mind. I tend to lean heavily on HDY AMAX bullets both for target and light game hunting, if the Amaxes dont cut it its SMK for targets or Gamekings for meat.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

That's easy

G: The guy jerkin the lever.

You are the single most important part of the process. It is you who chooses to take time and pride in your work. Weighing bullets and cases and powder charges. Spending hours working up the loads that give you the best performance. You take your time making sure you perform all steps to the best of your ability.

You can use $200 a 1000 custom match grade bullets in Laupa brass with VV powder and benchrest primers. If YOU do your job halfazz then you are going to get halfazz results.

We each go about things in a slightly different way but we are all looking for the same end result. The best performing most accurate round for that specific rifle.
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

1 word

consistency
  10. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I completely agree with the above but would have to add that the case is also critical to the overall accuracy of any load developed.

In order of overall consistency I would list like this:

1-Lapua/Norma/Weatherby
    2-Nosler
    3-Federal
    4-Remington
    5-Winchester

I did not list Hornady or PMC etc. because I have only very limited experience with those brands. Whenever possible I use brass in the order listed.

How the brass is handled can have a huge impact on overall accuracy. Obviously if you don't trim your brass, the best components on earth won't help with getting peak performance. At some point you have to go with what the rifle wants and what the intended purpose is i.e. don't neck size if you are loading for hunting.
  11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I would have to agree with Lapua, Norma/Weatherby. I almost exclusively use Norma brass when it is available.
  12. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

My case prep and loading techniques are the same for each cartridge I load for, so I did not mention it as a factor that will change when searching for accuracy. I should have used the word "Component" instead of "Factor", sorry.

Brass is also another important component that I left out, I'll add that to the list. As for me I use Lapua or Norma when available. If not I use what I can get, in my 221 Fireball Remington is the only game in town, same for the WSSM it's Win or nothing. So in many of my rifles swapping brass isn't an option or even considered.
  13. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I had read somewhere many years ago (American Rifleman?) that the case contributes about 70% of the potential accuracy (or inaccuracy) of any load. I don't know that I agree, but I've demonstrated for myself that the brass with the most uniform primer pocket and flashhole does appear to do better on paper. The new WW brass is horrible for having oblong and off-center flashholes and concave primer pockets. Of the big three; Federal has the most consistently centered and uniform primer pockets. I try to load that when possible. I simply can't afford Norma. I DID invest in Nosler brass for my .300 win mag and have not used anything else in that rifle.
  14. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

Custom Full Length Sizing Dies or Bushing Dies. If you sizing die makes a lot of runout, nothing is going to make your rifle shoot. :)
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I agree! No matter what load you come up with, it probably won't shoot well in another gun of the same caliber. You are building a reliable, accurate, round for YOUR gun! It's not the guns fault if you can't find what works well in it. Nosler Partitions, and Sierra Gameking, bullets might not be the best choice for a given gun! Different bullet weights, and different manufactures of those bullets, will make a big difference in the performance of any gun, along with the brass, primers, powder, and OAL!