Biggest gun liars.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by army mp, Aug 23, 2009.

1. army mp

army mp Member

I wanted to hear the biggest. Or just plain stupid statements you have heard about Firearms. The two that come to mind for me. I worked with a guy a few years back. That claimed he had a 410 slug gun that he could hit a 8 inch paper plate at 200 yards with Rifle slugs. I ask him if he had a mortar base for it.

The best one for me had to be a guy that claimed he knew a bail bondsman. That sawed off a shot gun. And welded a piece of square tubing on to shoot down hall ways. When you hear this kind of stuff. You don’t know weather to get ticked off. That the guy thinks you are so dumb as to believe it, or just walk away I had to just LOL at him. I think most times these statements come from people that have no clue. But want to fit in the conversation. I am not saying I am a firearms expert. But some of the things you hear.
  2. gs78

gs78 New Member

now in the US0fKKK-A,formerly the United States of
    anything that comes out of the mouth of barbara boxer.
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

I like the way you think. ;) :D

Art
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I kinda like when my brother in law told me that, when he was in the Army (in the early 70s), he was a tank mechanic at Ft. Knox, Kentucky. The Commanding General came to see him at the motor pool and told him that he had not yet qualified that year, and needed to get out to the range and do so, which he did using an M1 rifle.

Lemme see now. He was never a tank mechanic and never stationed at Fort Knox, mainly because he was never in the Army. Does the military even have yearly qualifications, like cops do? Not sure about that one. But if so, the Commanding General would neither know nor care about some wrench puller failing to meet that requirement. If someone in administration noticed, they would not go to him directly, but would instead send a message to his commander, saying, "Get Private Jerkwad out to the range". And the M1 had not been used by the Army for 20 years.

We were watching Forrest Gump, and there is a scene where he is in a Huey being flown to a LZ. There is some '60s rock song playing in the background. Out of the blue, brother in law states that he does not like that song. It brings back bad memories, as they ALWAYS played that song whenever he was being flown to an LZ, in "the 'Nam". I thought that was pretty good, too, although not as good as his Fort Knox story.
  5. 1 CAV

1 CAV New Member

We once had a guy in my old unit that claimed he carried a 4 deuce mortar by himself for twenty miles on a road march.

For those that don't know a 4 deuce mortar is 120 mm mortar and it looks like this.

[​IMG]

PS he was talking about the actual tube itself, not the mortar round.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  6. army mp

army mp Member

Alpo you could be on to something I never thought of before. It just may be my Mother in law is the way she is from raising such stupid sons. I have 4 brother in laws that swear to god. They could not pour piss out a boot. With the directions wrote on the heal.
  7. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

8. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

:DLOL!!!:D I don't care how you slice it, THAT is funny.
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

10. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Not really being picky but I know the M1 was used as late as into the 1960s. carried one in basic training in 1958. I remember the M1 being used in the early 1960s. I was carrying a 45 and or carbine by then but the M1 was around.
    Interesting BS story, BTW
    oldogy
  11. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

How about when Glocks were first coming out. Tom Brokaw did a story on nbc news about this "ALL" plastic pistol which would evade screening at airports. Typical anti-gun b.s., but I'm sure it had the desired effect on the unlearned public.
  12. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

Wow those two videos are great. NRA, GOA, SAF, should use these in adds, or commercials all over the nation.

I mean really hammer them. Over and over to expose these politicians for "knowledge" of the subject.

I remember when one politician was caught at some kind of an event touting trigger locks. Saying how good they are and how they wouldn't interfere with self defence. He tried for about a minute, a police chief tried. The commercial ended with them smiling and shaking their heads cause neither could get the damn thing off. I think it was put out by the NRA. Couldn't find it on U-bube though.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Working at gun shows as I have on and off for 30 odd years is the place to hear the silliest things being said. Everything from guys picking up a 9mm and telling their girlfriends about the 'awesome' recoil' to guys picking up a rifle and recalling loudly how they carried one of those 'in action'. But for some reason seem to have forgotten how the release the bolt they just locked back! If I like the look of them, I might help out, if I dont, I used to let them sweat in front of their mates as they fiddled.

One time a guy made a stupid comment that almost bought his throat into rapid contact with a rifle stock. He never knew how close he came, being very insulting without being aware of it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2009
  14. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I was once told that the recoil of a 458 Win mag is not harsh but a "long push". Not my 458. No long push from it, a hard jab is what it feels like.

How about the man who killed four deer wit four shots in four seconds ranging from 200 to 300 yards? November 1972, Lake Butler WMA, my late (we buried him a couple of weeks ago) friend Havard E. Hodges, his sons Keith and Tom, father Walter and I were hunting, we were in our teens. Havard never got more that a couple of seconds from his rifle, a Remington 742 Jammamatic in 30-06. He never shot the rifle except to sight it in, check the zero or shoot deer, never for practice or fun. We were eating lunch talking to some pulp wood cutters when one of them pointed out some deer. Havard scoped the deer then bang, bang, bang, bang. He thought he got "the" deer, we went looking and found four dead deer. His father called Florida Times Union outdoor writer "Lying" Bob McNally who published it in the newspaper with photos. Fortunately there was no daily bag limit for deer in Florida at the time there was a season limit of four and Havard was limited out.
  15. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

[​IMG]

That's a pretty bunch of soldiers. Are soldiers always that pretty?