Bipod Hop

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Bubblehead, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I'm starting to do some long range rifle shooting (300/500 meter silhouettes) and need some help.

After every shot, my bipod does it's dance and I can't see my hit or quickly get back on target for a follow up shot. Is there a technique that I should be using to control this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Sandbags or bags of shot packed around the legs.

Or you could imbed the feet of the bipod in cement.:D
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    you dont say what caliber your shooting,i shoot three tactical savage 110s,223,308,and 300 win mag.the first two i can control,the 300 win mag i still get slight movement.any time you have stiff recoil something has to give,either your shoulder or the bipod.counter acting recoil is something that takes time to learn,some never do.what may help is to set bipod on rubberized mat to help absorb some of recoil.i hope this helps old semperfi
  4. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

John, I do about 700 to 900 rounds a year load testing and shooting groupes off the bench. The best thing I have found to work for me is to use a Caldwell frount rest and a rear bag. Then I even put baby powder on both so the rifle will slide when shot. I found any time the rifle jumps your not going to get a good groupe at all. After I shot a round with this set up I just slide the rifle back in place and and i'm ready to shot agine. This set up will not move around on me at all and It was about $100.00 for the rest and bag. I wouldn't have any easl any more.
  5. wpage

wpage Active Member

You didnt mention what you are shooting from...
    If you have a shooting platform and are shooting from a desk or fixed postion. Sandbags or the adjustable bags that cabellas sells might be your best bet.
  6. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I'm shooting a Remington 700 in 7MM/08 from the prone position. From the replies I've received, and some on-line investigation, I think the main problem is that I'm not positioned directly behind the rifle. I shoot right-handed and my body position slants to the left. I'll try and square up to the rifle next time and we'll see what happens. My son also tells me to pre-load the bipod by pushing forward on it. Not sure if that's an issue also but it's certainly something else worth trying.

Thanks for the suggestions,

John