Bipolar Disorder & Buying a firearm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tokyo Dreaming, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Tokyo Dreaming

Tokyo Dreaming New Member

Hey guys, I'm 22, Live in Alexandria, Louisiana.
    I've been wanting to own a handgun for shooting at a range and home defense.

Thing is.. I keep hearing two different answers about the legality of someone who has bipolar disorder/on disability.

Really don't know the laws, so I figured I'd ask here and maybe someone could help?

I saw this.. http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=60
    Which made me think, But.. Like I said I keep seeing/hearing yes or no.

So I'm not sure what to think.

Any help would be really appreciated.
    Thanks.

-Phil
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF. Are you an unlawfull user of certain depressant, narcotics or stimulant drugs? Are you adjudicated as mental defective or incompetent or commited to a mental institution? I am no expert on mental heath issues but can you pass a background check? There are many of our veterans who are dealing with issues and are still allowed their 2nd ammendment rights. You know yourself best, are you a danger to yourself or to your family when you have episodes? While I am a firm believer in everyone having the right to exercize their 2nd ammendment rights, there are certain cases that good judgement needs to be used. Bipolar disorder can be a serious issue.
  3. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I can't give a definitive answer, but I will give a little advice, if you want it. If you find yourself qualifying, do not tell your doctor you own a weapon. One never really knows their physicians. It none of their business,anyway.
  4. Tokyo Dreaming

@Double D: Thank you. No, Everything I take is from my doctor, I can pass a background check, and I'm not that bad off, Was when I was a kid but alot better as an adult.

@Raven818: Yeah, That's something I'd never want to bring up, Even if he is an amazing doctor, I'd hate to see him worried for me since I'm really not bad at all.

Anyways though.. I'm not suicidal, I don't ever want to harm anyone, I just got stuck with a cruddy disease.
    I did some research, Found some laws of my state.
    "Louisiana has no laws preventing the purchase or possession of firearms by:
    - Persons with mental illness;
    - Persons subject to docestic violance restraining orders; or
    - Juvenile offenders.'

And after talk to my dad about it, honestly I'd be surprised if they denied it.
    Also understand why New Orleans has been known as the 'Murder Capital'.

But anyways, Thanks guys.
    I'm sure I'll be back once I get the money and am able to purchase my first firearm.

Hopefully could get some help in choosing an ideal handgun for shooting at the range/home defense.

Thanks alot guys.

-Phil

Also Double D: I agree fully with your signature bro..
    Damn shame what is happening to our country.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. raven818

6. raven818

These two may create an issue for you. Good luck.
  7. Tokyo Dreaming

Thanks alot bro.
    Wasn't looking too much into a concealed weapon permit just yet.

But I did bookmark it for future use.

Thanks again.
  8. raven818

Also found this. They will contact your doctor. You may want to speak to them ( contrary to my earlier post ). If you falsify your application, it's a crime. Feel the doctor(s) out.

" I'm thinking about it ".

MEDICAL INFORMATION: (ONLY NECESSARY IF YOU ANSWERED “YES” TO QUESTIONS 13 – 19.) Treating Physician
    Name:
    Address:
    Phone Number:
  9. raven818

Oh..sry. I obviously misunderstood. BTW, in some states, the same applies if you're buying a weapon.
  10. Tokyo Dreaming

Nah its completely fine.
    I appreciate it.
  11. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

when i got my first revolver i made the mistake of carrying it openly when i went to my chiropractor. he asked(told) me to never carry into his place again, and that even his LEO customers don't carry in his place of business. for this reason i would never have him as a witness in any legal proceedings whatsoever.
  12. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

As long as you werent sent to a Mental Facility by a judge then you will be alright as far as your concern is going. I dont even think that would matter. If the FBI NICS department tells the gun shop that your application has been accepted then thats all that matters, its all what they have to say about it.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  13. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Another thing NEVER tell a Psychiatrist anything about any type of weapon you have or want like gun, knife, pool stick, 2x4 etc
    Just go to the gun shop when you get the cash and tell the guy/lady at the counter that you want that gun and let them give you your 4473 and fill it out to the best of your knowledge. That means if a legal issue arises out of it then you can always say I answered it to the best of my knowledge.
    The results will come back in about 5-10 minutes later. Its either GO,DELAYED, or DENIED. Simple as that, dont worry :)
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  14. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I agree with these guys on the fact that you should NEVER, NEVER tell a nurse, doctor, counselor, or psychologist anything about owning or shooting a firearm or about your interest in any other weapon. I dated a nurse practioner who was in charge of a county mental health facility. She enjoyed flexing the muscles of her position to control people, and did not hesitate to use it to make herself feel important and powerful. The moment one of her patients mentioned anything about guns or even hunting, she would document that they had thoughts of violence towards others or say that they were a danger to themselves.
    Point is, keep your mouth shut about your interests, or else you may find yourself stripped of your freedom and rights in an instant.
  15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

If you can honestly pass a Form 4473 when purchasing a firearm, I wouldn't worry.

I also agree with the others as to disclosing whether or not you own a firearm to a doctor or something like that. It's none of their business. The only time I would ever disclose anything like that to them is if I had legal representation present.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011