Bird Shot

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by grumpyt55, Sep 25, 2012.

1. grumpyt55

grumpyt55 New Member

Hi All,
    I have a stray cat problem, but wife wont let me kill them. I want to try bird shot in my Hi standard Double Nine. Your Thoughts please.

Grumpy
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

bird shot will either kill or cripple cats...toss a few lit firecrackers at them instead...
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

some .22 shot shells maybe, they have #12 in 'em, at any distance, it will just sting 'em a bit and send them on their way.
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

take you a 410 if you have it and remove the shot. Put rock salt in it's place and shoot from a distance. Shouldnt do much damage at all, but if it breaks the skin, it'll sting. They wont want it twice.

Preferably call animal control, cause this method could get you in trouble.
  5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't think .22 shotshells would be harmful past 8 feet or so unless you hit an eye.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

or how bouts some of those wazzoo shotgun rounds, dragon's breath and such? shoot sparks and flames at 'em. course your neighbors might not appreciate that...
  7. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

A super-soaker squirt gun with a water/10% vinegar solution in it will drive cats away in a hurry. Stray cats will come back, you'll have to hit them a few times. If you stick with it a short time, they will move on.
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Years ago an injured stray cat had taken refuge in a spare dog house on my dad's property. He decided to put the cat out of it's misery and use the .22lr shot shell out of his Colt Scout Buntline. His thinking was he didn't want a 40gr. bullet to penetrate the cat and damage the dog house:confused: He made a head shot from about two feet. All it did was piss off the cat which took off at a high rate of speed:eek:. The cat was later picked up, still alive, by animal control (that's another story). I don't think those shot shells are worth much good for any thing.
  9. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 Member

Bird shot will definitely kill a cat. I killed a coon that was in a pole building of mine and used those because I didn't want to penetrate the exterior wall. Though it did take around 10 shots to kill it at 20 ft or so.
  10. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I heard , only heard ahem that the mix of vinigar works like a champ. it even works on small dogs so i heard . give it a shot and watch em run again i only heard.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

and you guys do know that a couple of Tylenols (1000mg or two extra strengths) equals dead kitty right?

but ya didn't hear that from me...

some acetomenophin tuna treats will take care of 'em for good.
  12. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Use 12 gauge buck shot and tell your wife it ran like hell.
  13. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I had a problem with stray cats in the front yard, bought some cheap household "orange" cleaner and sprayed the outside edges of the yard, have to redo it after rains but it's like a buck a gallon at the dollar store, works well for me. For the back yard I have six dogs, for some reason cats don't visit it often...
  14. grumpyt55

grumpyt55 New Member

Thanks for all the info gentlemen.
  15. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

See what the pattern is at 10,15,20,25 30 feet. Then see how it penetrates at the same distance, That is the reason I stopped using that round. :) Cliff
  16. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

had that problem once,, but fixed it quick,, and still single again ?? OH and no cat problems anymore either
    no one to tell me i cant (buy guns,, buy motorcycles, fun cars,,AND I NOW HAVE MONEY IN THE BANK unless i spend it first ;)
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just leave em be, let em start tearing the trash and spraying everything and your wife will change her mind if you leave the messes for her to tend to. My wife had the same issue with the stray dogs until one day while she was cleaning up a ripped trash bag she watched a stray mutt attack one of the neighbor kids over his sandwich. She came insiode after the .22 herself.
  18. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

so whuttya know, while away on vacation last week, a stray showed up here! little siamese kitty, about half grown. Thinkin' my mother in law will take it home; as much as I hate cats, I wouldn't kill this one. guess I got a soft spot after all....
  19. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

birdshot/ratshot is just barely sufficient to do the job INSIDE A BARN...outdoors, at over 7-8 paces, forget it..

The Intent was so that farmers could clear their barns/outhouses/sheds of nuisance critters...
    without going thru the walls/roof and causing leaks...

But for crawling up in an attic and blasting out the squirrels/other critters, PERFECT!!
    Close enough range that it works!!

But in that vein...I prefer .22WMR shotshells to .22lr shotshells...way more effective, but still without major penetration thru plywood.
  20. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

so this showed up at our house while we were away in Hawaii:

[​IMG]

got soft and we decided to feed it, cripes....

the dog keeps molesting him, figured he'd just kill it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we'll send him off with mother in law next week, hee hee hee...