Black Bear Hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Caneman, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

In the area I am deer hunting this season there are supposedly plenty of black bears as well, and I was "told" that I should get a bear tag... never been black bear hunting, not sure what to expect... any advice?

The areas I will be deer hunting will be in steep canyons and ridge lines, and I won't be in the meadows or flat lands... i'm after deer, but if i run into baloo i understand that bear meat is good eating...
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Put some bait out, wire in a 25 lb burlap bag in a tree or spruce or bush nobody will see it anyway, something real stinky; you'll see bear, keep ya occupied when deer ain't around. Rotten meat, fish, fresh popcorn, honey, chicken grease, bones, salad dressjng , mir whip, mollasses, ect works fine.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

bear meat is delicious, it's like very lean beef or buffalo. I've had my tags for the two seasons now, never shot one yet as my dad never did bear season. Here in WA the season starts either 1 or 15 Aug depending on area and runs thru the end of elk season (mid Nov). Lots of time to try and fill your tag, you can even get a second bear each year if you get the spring hunt as well.

Remember to shoot lower than you would on a deer, the heart and lungs are further south than a deer or elk. Or head shoot if you can. A good .30 is adequate, .308/.30-06 or the .300 mags are ideal I think. I'm using .308 with Nosler ballistic tips (165gn), 180gn would be a good choice for a bolt gun.

They don't move around much when it's warm out. They like to scratch trees, look for that and of course tracks and doo-doo.

I kicked one up last season during dear (before I went and got a tag), it roared at me (surprised it, walked up within about 50 feet!) which surprised the hell outta me! I was glad I had the trusty M1A ready to go but it scrambled away and kept roaring at me.

Best technique is baiting but it's illegal many places. I get up high where I can see and it's a bit open and glass the hillsides; spot and stalk or spot and snipe are the most effective.
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We shot at one on the road tonight, was pretty far off and hit the road at bears feet; sent bear scramblin into the woods; a few laughs. I've been around a bunch of blk bear, they chatter, had them put the sneak in on me, all bawl when they die after being shot; I've never had any blk bear roar at me.

Best to have a ladder stand, they can't see well, but do have great sense of smell & good ears. You'll enjoy watching their inter action and personalities. I have only ever brought them blk bear in with bait, but have stalked grizz; which you have to get close enough to kill them. All bear will be found in berries or eating migrating fish this time of year.
  5. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

thanks for the advice... here in communist amerika (kalifornication) I can't bait bears and i can't use lead bullets!

my deer caliber is 0.243, will this take out a 250 lb. black bear or will i just injur it? i will have my SW .44 mag on my side as well...
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

.243 will work, not my first choice but be prepared for follow up shots if needed (as with any caliber really). Choose good ammo/bullet and you'll be OK with it.

Have a buddy who's taken two with his .280 rem with no issue. Shot placement and correct bullet type!
  7. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

^^^ cool!

I use the Barnes 85gr TSX copper bullet at 3100 fps, it is a devastating round...
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I'm old with an old gun and old ammo. Remington Core lokt 32 Win spcl 170 gr 2200 fps at muzzle, a bit slower before it gets very far. So far no complaints. The 3 best roasts I ever ate came off a black bear, Elk and a Pronghorn.
  9. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Umm when I was stationed in Alaska, I was told a grizz will still kill you (while charging) even though you give it a head shot. I was told to shoot it in the hip(imobilizing it) then take a kill shot. Good advice or no???:confused:
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

call it self defense
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i was in a alaska chasing a deer when i realised i was being chased buy a bear

4 shots with a 6.5 carnaco and the 5th did stop him

how i did not mess my daks i dunno , not enough breakfast maybe

the thing covered 140 or so yards in 5 shots and stopped dead 8 away from me

right shoulder was destroyed 2 shots a gouge into head and tore a ear
    a chest shot and thats the shot i think stopped him and the 2 in the head and i think 1 did not penetrate ( cheek area )

them things is scary it's .308 for me next time
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  12. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

You bet Jack-I was told the bloody skull on an Alaskan Grizz is very thick-head shot thru the eye socket kills em But what you described "a charging grizz" I have no doubt I would shat my breeches. I think that is why a lot of bear hunters carry a large and very sharp bowie knife made in usa encase they have to wrassle with ole grizz after weapon empty and no time to reload.

In your case a nice gurka blade would do.
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

no knife fights for me, if anything can get past 20 rounds of 7.62, 15 rounds of .40 and then 5 rounds of .357, they deserve to get me!

The rifle would be a better weapon anyway I think, if you run out of bullets, start swinging it hard, it can be a good impact weapon!

Last year I did quite a bit of my hunting with the single shot Ruger no.1 but I like having my M1A, plenty adequate caliber wise but 20 rounds on tap is hard to beat.

but Caneman, I would for certain get yourself a bear tag in the event you see one, you never know when you will stumble accross one. That's a lot of meat in the freezer!
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

IMO I think that is too light of a bullet. The 243 is a great round but I personally would not pull the trigger with a 85gr bullet regardless of mfg. If you run into a 250lb bear it might work in a pinch but if you run into one that is much more then that I would not try it. There is a good chance that you could hit a bear and it could end up 3 counties away and that is not fair to the bear. Then again, the bear could run into a bunch of thickets while wounded and then you would have to go in on your hands and knees tracking a mad wounded bear that still has teeth, claws, adrenaline, and zero ability to reason. As far as shooting a bear in the hip or shoulder that is not a bad way to go, but a 85gr bullet would end up exploding into pieces and then you would have a wounded bear.

If you have your 44 mag and are stealthy, and are packing 265gr Hornady HP-XTP's or something equivalent traveling at about 1500 fps now your talking. If you could stalk the bear and get in on it within about 75 yards that 44 magnum will devastate it if you can nail the kill zone. Be prepared to use a follow up shot, and make sure you have a good brace because your heart rate is going to elevate and you don't want to turn a kill zone shot into a gut shot. I have never killed a bear my self but know many that have. A personal friend on mine took a hefty black bear with the Hornady bullet that I described and one shot was all it took.

I hope you get a bear cause they are good eating.
  15. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Highboy, we've shot several bear over 300 lbs with 6.8; 110 vmax. Mine were going 2700 on the chrono. All shots were well placed shooting from stand over barrel. Only one grizz was shot around our house this fall, with a 30-30 to boot. One local girl that uses my stand from time to time has shot a bunch of bear with her 270; they drop on the spot. Indians down Ft Yukon got a sow polar bear with 223 fmjs a couple years back; but it was only 400 lber.

All the moose, caribou, bear and wolves we've shot; only the wolves got away from time to time, in fact; deer back east seemed tougher than just about anything; had a few get away over the years.
  16. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I get what your saying. I am not saying it can't be done with a .243, I just think 85gr. is taking a chance. Can it be done? Absolutely, but I would prefer a 100gr. Also, it is all about shot placement. I think the 110gr vmax is fine and as for the 30-30 and .270, those are great calibers. I have a .243 and if I was packing it and all I had was a 85gr round, then I would be hard pressed not to go for it. But if I knew I was possibly going to be running across a bear I would choose to go with the gr for the .243. If the op goes for the bear with the 85gr bullet I applaud him for trying and hope he gets a big one.

Thanks for the info Zurch.
  17. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

The TSX has some impressive capabilities, don't underestimate that bullet just on it's weight; but I'd personally want something bigger myself FWIW. Shot placement is key if you do go that route, but with bear, 'buck fever' is that much more severe! I want some fudge factor/room for error if possible!

As long as that TSX is poking along at a good pace to begin with, it will do the job, it's supposed to do very well at a wide range of velocities/distances on different game.
  18. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

How about a rifle with a good bayonet? I don't use a pistol in NC you have to register them with the Sheriff-and I don't want to register anything, though if there is any law enforcement I would trust would be local sheriff. The county I live in is very rual. I am in a town of 200 or less folks. We DO have a lot of black bears here about 15 miles away a fella got one about 800 pounds.
  19. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

like a M44 mosin? or some other military rifle... heh heh, all I can say is good luck if you're down to a bayonet!

When I train with long guns, I always practice transition drills; when the primary goes down either jam or out of ammo, I control it down with my off hand while drawing my sidearm, letting the long gun hang from it's sling. But the M1A I use is pretty reliable, has yet to jam once on me except for one batch of bad reloads I made years ago, that was the ammo's fault (my fault, sized them incorrectly).

I lived in NC for a while, had to get the pistol permit from the county sheriff just to buy a handgun, kinda sucks. Here in WA, I just walk in with me CCW and walk out with a handgun, too easy.

A good rifle with multiple round capability of any kind bolt, semi, whatever, should keep you out of bear trouble. Or a solid hit from my .458 single shot, that will do the trick.

I also use the shotgun with slugs if I'm primarily out for grouse, keep a slug or OOO buck loaded last in the tube, with 2 birdshot loads first. If I see a bear I just have to rack it twice and dust him, then reload. Or just unload all three on him.
  20. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Noted:D