Black Bear Hunting

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Caneman, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

thanks for the insights...

i think i would only pull the trigger on a smaller bear, something less than 200 lbs as I would not want to bone out and pack a larger bear!

been out twice so far and have seen very little bear sign in the area i am hunting, 3 weeks left though and you never know...
  2. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Ya need good bait which really works best when they come outta hibernation and not much food is available. Our bear here in Ak interior are going to sleep pretty quick, snowed all last night.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Some bacon and honey somethin' or nuthers on a camp stove.... oops, did I say that out loud?

I bought some predator calls to help lure them in also... gonna try calling them in with a buddy, we're going to sit about 100m apart facing each other and alternate calling. That way if a mountain kitty or bobcat comes up behind one of us, the other will be able to shoot. (or a bear for that matter)
  4. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

LOL, I thought about that too... I saw all the deer camps a few weeks ago and was wondering how many of them were just leaving some bacon simmering over the fire in hopes that a bear would come through!
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Zhurh, what do you suggest for bait BTW? wanted to get your suggestions to add to my list of things. (not that I would ever bait.... just in case it DOES become legal here someday... ;))