Black Diamond

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Kenneth, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Kenneth

Kenneth New Member

Have a Black Diamond and currently using 209 primers , my question is , do you all still have problems with corrsion ?
    Got mine out last week to zero it for muzzle season and found the nipple to be rusted , the bore had the greenish powdery look inside , of course I was lucky everything cleaned up well except for some small amount of rust on the primer retaining spring , not sure that's the correct term .
    Any advice as what to use to keep it from doing this ? When I put it away I used amonia based Windex which I thought was supposed to stop corrision .
    Also , does anyone know if the Black Diamond is capable of using modern powder such as the Savage ?
    Kenneth
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

The ammonia does "neutralize" anything that is in the bore that could directly cause corrosion NOW, but you still have to oil it when you are done....

Actually, only the black powder is technically "corrosive," and a good cleaning with soap and water, or a BP cleaning compound should suffice, followed by oil...

It's not like "corrosive" military primers that old milsurp rounds have, and the "corrosive" is actually salts, which is what causes the rust and pitting if not "treated".....which just means dissolved and washed away...