1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've been playing with guns since i was 18. going to gun stores, hanging out at the local gunsmith, and chatting in gun forums. from what i have seen the majority of gun owners are white.

now i live in a place where the majority of people are white. but just north in the same county is another town (radcliff) that is predominately black. i dont go there much, not because it's predominately black, but because i have no reason. i dont know where any stores are there and i dont know my way around. i do have a friend that lives on the close side of the town, and i visit him sometimes.

so is it just me and my specific location that i dont see many black gun owners?

one of the local sheriffs deputies is a black feller and i know he is into guns. i've talked to him in the local gun store several times and know him when i see him. even caught up with him at a gun show next county up once. other then him, i really dont know any black people. there are none that go to the church i go to and i dont have any friends that are black.

i think up the road we have some neighbors that are black, but i dont really know any of my neighbors white or black.

i dont watch a lot of shooting on tv cause i dont get the outdoor channel, but i know that japanese people are into competition shooting and even winning over the americans sometimes. but i dont remember any black competitors from what little i have seen on tv.

im sure if i lived out west in arizona or texas i'd see more mexican shooters, but around here there isnt a lot of latino folks. but i know that there's a lot of mexicans that shoot because the cowboy culture and firearms are a part of their heritage.
  2. Archie

Archie Member

That's been my experience, not a lot of percentage of black population are 'gun people'.

One notable exception to that was the late Billy Grimes, a colleague of mine in Federal service. He could shoot either double action revolver or semi-auto pistol with alacrity and style.

But, as you John, I live in a pretty white neighborhood and attend a white church.

Then again, I used to shoot Bullseye with a Japanese-derived Dentist and an Iranian immigrant sheet metal mechanic.

The Iranian fellow made an interesting comment one day at the range. We were talking about doing a group mail order for gunpowder. The gentleman in question ordered a single pound of powder. After a couple of us urged him to buy more, as it was cheaper in bulk, he responded with a wry smile, "With my name, they get nervous if I buy more than one pound at a time."

Rightly or wrongly, maybe that's why some black people don't advertise they won guns.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Archie, I have an Iranian friend who would appreciate that comment! ;) Like most activities of means however, I have to disagree on why there aren't more black shooters.

Blacks are approximately 13% of the population. Do you see 13% or even 10% of folks in your nicer restaurants who are black? I don't... I see maybe 1% or less when I go out to eat. There's something wrong with that.

Black folks are the hidden population for the most part. There are many events in which the culture doesn't participate. I have had successful black friends who loan vehicles to their relatives who lack transportation. That's a thing that my middle-lower class white family has never done. It boggled my mind. I think that the black culture is still gaining prevalence after desegregation and hasn't fully arrived at the level that they can participate in activities of excess or privilege. Shooting is a privileged sport whether you admit it or not. It means making a wage more than required to feed yourself and your family to shoot for fun. I think that as those in the black community progress toward equality there are those among their families who are lagging in poverty. Frankly, some don't feel the need to progress. Those who are succeeding have sometimes seen how guns pervade their poorer family's dark side and are reluctant to embrace firearms. There are still those however who really cannot afford sporting ownership and use of firearms.

With all I've said, let me also say that I'm not making excuses for any culture. Every culture endures its hardships and must overcome them. The American black culture is slowly getting there. I truly believe (or HOPE) that I'm right in that civil rights privileges have not been fully realized by the black community yet. If I'm wrong, we're in great trouble as a country.
  4. johnlives4christ

ponycar17. on the thing about loaning cars to family my friend micha's got 2 trucks both of them are in for repair his dad has loaned him a car for several months now. so i can say i've seen it in a white middle class family. but i have an uncle that owns 3 or 4 cars and would not loan one to a family member in need. perhaps it's a cultural thing. but of course, as with any cultural thing the people involved make a lot of difference

of course one difference is that black people and white people are not the same race. jews, blacks, white, asian, latino, native american, arab, inuit, hawaiian, and aboriginal people are all different races. while all races originated back to 4 people, that is noah,and his 3 sons shem ham and japheth. people have through the ages been isolated from other cultures either physically or socially and have breed mostly with others of the same race. this perpetuates a strong influence of a specific genetic makeup in each specific race. not only does this affect the way each race looks, but also physical attributes, mental attributes and social and emotional peculiarities within each group.

for example, african american people are generally very athletic. while white people are not by nature lazy, they are not as predescribed to be athletic as blacks.

mexicans have in general a lot of skill with horses and with animals. they are good farmers and hard working people.

cultural stereo types aside, once a specific type of genes and traits are integrated into the general population, and the people keep reproducing, it only helps to instill the specific characteristic in the culture and the nature of the people
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

i find that at least in my area, most of the black people live in the bigger cities like madison or milwaukee where guns are not allowed to be sold inside city limits.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if i may , i aint a expert but have noticed some things

i used to play host for Marines and Navy when i lived in Sydney ( before they built the mosque up the road and all that started )

and i had a good mix of folks come though over 3 or so years i used to get NCO's and SNCO and petty officers as i think they match rank with rank ..

the white country boys all knew there weapons , the city kid hispanics knew the issue weapons and "handgun's" in a very general way as did the black folks although there was one black marine gunny who put me to shame with my own rifle , man he was goooood and he had hunted and shot and reloaded as a kid

i asked him about that and he said a lot of black kids time and money is wasted on image , how you look etc , not really doing anything productive so who has money to shoot when your "shelling out" ( is that correct?) for new air nikes every few months

his folks and their friends taught him different , but he was a service brat too so..

but everyone got off on shooting the flintlocks !! strange eh

i think cities stifle folks .. they do me... hate the places

different folks value different things culturally maybe thats part of it mixed with city BS and rules and maybe even some fear of being with a gun , a carry over from the past

I've offered weapons to aboriginal friends here and they've declined partially from fear of trouble partially because they can pick up a spear or boomerang and hit anything within 100 yards that looks tasty .... ( jealous )

, some are real keen shooters too and when i get out that way we always have a impromptu competition
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I was born, raised, and still live in the South. My experiences are related to this region. I know many Black men that own guns, they don't shoot at the range, but they do shoot at home, and they hunt. The Black folks I know don't swim, and they don't travel. They are amazed at the stories I tell them about America, the places, and things I have seen. It's not because they can't afford to travel, and it's not because they can't afford to go to the beaches to swim, I think it's a curtural thing. It's just because they have never done it. They fish, and form a boat as well, but they, for the most part, can't swim. I'm sure you all know the story of the six Black kids that drowned in the Red River this past summer. One got into som deep water, and the others tried to save him, they all died. A really sad story, but one of the relitives stated on an interview that swimming was just something that they (Black folks) didn't do.

There are about 252 million white folks in America, and about 41 million Black folks. It is said that there are 80 million people in America who own something like 200 million guns.

http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB4535/index1.html

The likelihood that families will own a firearm varies by the family's composition, income level, race/ethnicity, region of the country, and other factors. For instance, families that include an adult man are more likely to have firearms than families with only adult women (41 percent versus 12 percent); white families are more likely than other ethnic groups to own firearms (43 percent versus 16 percent for African Americans, 15 percent for Hispanics, and 16 percent for all other ethnic groups); and families in the South are more likely to have firearms than those in other parts of the country. Rifles are the most common firearms in homes with children, followed by shotguns, handguns, and finally, all other types of firearms combined.
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I think i have only seen one black man on the various hunting channels over many years. It is very rare to catch a black man on the hunting channels. However i see plenty of black men on the news with guns. :eek:

Maybe that is just a local thing. WHo knows.
  9. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

Most of my guns are black. Does that make me less racist?
  10. glocknut

glocknut New Member

This is the way i see it... Its like Black Womens attitude towards White Men... they have them...they just won't admit it to anyone! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D

Boy, i'm on a streak today.... :D

G1N1
  11. johnlives4christ

gn. did you say you've got a streak? dont hold back on the TP dude..the tp
  12. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I belong to a shooting club here in town, we have about 350 members, and a good number show up at the monthly meetings. I note several black members, even shoot with them on occasion. I think they may be in security at one of the large federal weapons plants, but whatever, they are good people, good shooters, and give and take with the rest of us. What percentage of the club is black? Heck, I don't really care. It's enough that these guys (and gals) enjoy shooting and firearms, they seem to enjoy the group, and that's good enough for me.