black powder gun for self defence?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by cpt.bales, Jun 7, 2006.

1. cpt.bales

cpt.bales Former Guest

can you do it . is it a good idea to carry a black powder pistol for self defence???
  2. stetson

stetson New Member

I wouldn't to fickle with moisture and forget about quick reload.
    If you want to be diffierent go for it!I would not trust my life
    with black powder.
  3. cpt.bales

cpt.bales Former Guest

well does a black powder pistol have enough power to kill??? you have 6 shots. you should only need one . and what are you saying about moisture??
    i dont understand.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

First off, black powder weapons have plenty of killing power. Now, when carried concealed, it is up against your body absorbing your sweat. Not good for black powder. Second, the percussion caps have a tendancy to fall off. Third, after your first shot you will have to wait precious seconds until the smoke clears for a follow-up shot. It just may ruin your day. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 this is a definate -10! Even if a cartridge gun with black powder loads, it is still not a good idea.

Ever had a black powder weapon shoot off multiple cylinders when fired? Need more advice?
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I got a contract once to set up a safe room and alarm system for a couple. The only firearms they had were blackpowder (a pair of Colt's percussion.) They kept them loaded with plactic sleeves in the cylinders and pinched caps. Once a week they would go to the range and fire them off, clean and reload. They never had to fire them in their house, but displayed them twice to unwelcome visitors in the dead of night. I haven't talked to them in about 10 years, but they were never of a mind to buy a more modern armament.

I have carried blackpowder for SD, when on a multi-state motorcycle tour. Something about state laws made that advisable. If the cylinder is sealed at one end with a tight fitting bullet and the other end sealed fairly well with a tight fitting cap, and the powder insulated from the cylinder walls by a plastic sleeve, corrosion is minimal and the powder does not get ruined by absorbing moisture.

It is a bit of a hassle, however, and is more problematic than a cartridge gun.

Pops
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I would not recomend it personally if you are wantin simple stick to revolvers dude, but a blackpowder. You would be unique
  7. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Ask James Butler Hickok
  8. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I carry a .62 flintlock for cc.
  9. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Can you do it. Of course. It was the only way it could be done once upon a time. It worked then...

Is it a good idea to practice today? Why would you want to if there were a much better and more reliable alternative?
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Well, to the black powder and moister thing, black powder becomes useless when wet. As for self defense, after the first shot, you have less then 3-5 sec to reload and if you missed, less then 2 (then again, the sound probably scared them s**tless out the door).

So, no, a black powder weapon wouldn't be practical for home defense nor concealed carry.
  11. justdoug

justdoug New Member

I carried an unloaded .36 cal snubbie to card game once, but that was just for nostalgia. Made me feel like Doc Holiday. I'm all for being different, in fact I strive to be in some cases. However, I could not bring myself to carry blackpowder for self defense. The .44 Navy Colt replica is fun during muzzleloading season though.
  12. MisterEd

MisterEd New Member

And the other guy was probably not much better off than you.

I am an avid BP shooter but BP guns are technology from a different time. Lets keep the nostalgia alive and well by continuing to let them belch fire and smoke - and ourselves by more modern (and practical) means.....
  13. hammybone

hammybone New Member

I remember reading an article years ago probaly in Field & Stream about an old Civil War rifle that was still loaded it seems that the powder in the gun was still dry the rifle fired... off after all these years.
  14. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

It is very possible to come across CW ordinance that is still 'live'. Last year, a local relic hunter with years of experience was seriously injured when the artillary round he was trying to render inert exploded. Did a fair amount of damage to his grandson and their house, as well.

Same basic firearms rule always applies: Assume it is live and loaded!
  15. SW44Mag

SW44Mag New Member

What if you use Pyrodex instead of black powder?