black powder gun for self defence?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by cpt.bales, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Pustic

Pustic Member

Of course they can kill. More people have been killed with black powder guns in the USA than any other types of guns. The Civil War is only but one example of that. All guns back then were black powder.
  2. MIKE6975

MIKE6975 New Member

good useful info pustic,it's about time someone was serious on this thread,i applaud you(clap..clap...clap):D
  3. 350Rocket

350Rocket New Member

black powder self defense??
    well, it was done before, a long, long, time ago, but that was all they had then.
    not so much a brilliant idea, about as sharp as a ball of yarn., maybe used as a last defense? or a great distraction like a flash-bang/smoke screen.... hehe
    no i really do love black powder firearms, and yes, they have plenty of killing power, but... black powder is highly hydroscopic (attracts water) and when it gets wet it stops working. not to mention, theres no sealed cartrige so water and whatever can easily get to it. also since the bullet goes down the barrel or cylinder first, it has a better chance of becoming loose and unpacked if carried around alot, try to shoot a black powder gun with a gap between the powder and bullet- could blow up the gun!
    and for one more reason not to use black powder self defense

reliability... sometimes they dont shoot first try even in modern muzzleloaders! seen it happen, had it happen. and thats not what you want, misfire, and keep the muzzle in a safe direction for 1-5min incase it has a delayed fire, seen it happen.

if its because you have no money and have a blackpowder pistol and want self defense, you could probably sell it, buy two Hi-Point semi-auto pistols and still have enough left over for gas money. although i dont reccomend hi-point pistols ither.

but if you want to know if you can, yes, keep it clean, and dry. i had a friend who kept a long barreled .44 blackpowder pistol under his bed for self defense. had #1 chamber empty for safety reasons and took it out every once in a while shot it, cleaned it, and reloaded it.
  4. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

hi all new guy here just had to respond to this thread, 1st off i have personally used a .36 cal navy in a self defense situation, it was all i had with me and it was enough to change the fellas mind about what he was gonna do, 2nd i know alot of bikers that carry them simply because most states dont consider them firearms and without a ccw carrying a firearm across some statelines is a felony, and i do know a few felons that carry them although not conceiled and usually not on their bodies but with in easy reach because its all they can legally have, my best friend is a felon and a biker, he carries a 2 shot bp derringer in his vest pocket when he rides, and has a double barrel bp shotgun for home defense, anything is better than nothing, also some states have rules and regulations about what can be carried ccw, here in new mexico forget it, it has to be a modern firearm and 32 cal or larger, but we also have a open carry law, we can walk around armed as long as its in the open and it doesnt matter then
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  5. 44-40 Willy

44-40 Willy New Member

I was discussing cap and ball revolvers in one of the other forums here, finally decided to peek into this one and saw this thread.

I've a lot of experience with cap and ball revolvers over the years and used one in the only home defense situation I've ever had. But, it was the only gun that was handy and loaded at the time. Fortunately all I had to do was fire a warning shot and the miscreant fled.

Yes, if I'd have had a modern gun loaded and handy, I'd have used for it. But that .44 cap and ball worked when I needed it. It had been loaded a couple of days before and I just hadn't gotten around to unloading it as I was doing a lot of shooting my cap and balls in competition with a lot of practice shooting as well.

Now I keep a more modern gun handy and loaded, but I wouldn't be afraid of using my cap and balls with fresh loads in such a situation.
  6. pmvargo

pmvargo New Member

i have a uberti 1858 remington 8 inch barrel im sure it would work
    play with it then you can make up your mind
    mine is loaded and ready to go
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

You know, guys and gals, listening to the rumblings from DC now, with all the usual Liberal suspects, talking about waiting only "until the time is right" to revisit gun control, but THIS time do it right, outlawing ALL SA guns, as well as PUMP actions...BESIDES of course all handguns...

This may well become a relevent topic; soon, just maybe, BP handguns may be ALL we have LEFT to us for self defense....:cool:

Elections have consequences.
  8. pmvargo

pmvargo New Member

I keept mine loaded for a week or so amd it fired ok just make sure you have a good cap i think that is were you will have the most problems if for cc dont take chances your life may depend on it so it has to fire
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

You know, maybe a good poll would be what would you prefer to take your chances on for Self defense....a cap and ball revolver, or any .25acp, or maybe a Jennings .22lr....:p

I don't know, but I just might have to go with the capnball if those were my choices....;):cool:
  10. pmvargo

pmvargo New Member

Id like to be on the same playing field as the person intruding on me
  11. zero

zero New Member

With modern powder primers and pistol, and a few precautions yea this could be done. And if i had to make a choice to take on a man with an old colt navy that knew what he was doing or a young and dumb with a glock turned sideways and a 32 rd clip. I'll take on the kid with the glock.