black powder opens in the am

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by rick's red dawg, Oct 13, 2006.

1. rick's red dawg

rick's red dawg New Member

it is that time of year again and i sure am glad got the knight out today and made sure it is still where it is supposed to be hope that big buck slips up tomorrow cause i sure would like to let the smoke pole go bang good luck to you guys and gals
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Gosh I wish our ML season was EARLIER than our gun....our gun starts Nov 18th, goes two weeks and a day, ends on a Sunday, then on the following Saturday about Dec 8 or so ML starts and goes two weeks and a day, ends right before Xmas....usually COLD as heck, or rainy and snowy, NOT good weather for the Flintlock:cool:

GET SOME!:D :D :D
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I might have to buy me one of them NEF single shot 45/70 for this year primitive season
  4. polishshooter

Southern, are you allowed BP CARTRIDGE rifles for Deer??? That would be sweet...

We can't use ANY Cartridge rifles yet, just Shotguns, handguns and MLs...
  5. rick's red dawg

seen 6 this morning not any legal though but at least i got to see some deer
  6. polishshooter

What's legal? You don't have any stupid laws like PAs "Must have antlers with at least 3 1/2" tall with at least 3 points over 3/4" (or whatever) on one side or pay a $25 fine to keep it IF we believe your claim it was an 'accident' after we investigate...if not we take your Gun AND car..." :cool: do you? (ones that keep you GUESSING looking through the scope instead of SHOOTING????)

one of my buddies says you have to keep a FLOW CHART glued to your stock just to figure out what's legal!:p

Heck, give me the old "antlered/antlerless" ANY day of the week....

And what are you doing BACK IN????? It's OPENING DAY, man! Get your @ss back OUT there and get some, "afternoon Happy Time " is coming!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  7. rick's red dawg

yes and then some 2''or less 3 points on one side depending where you are at some places here it is 4 on one side or less than 4 total points and i am with you on the antlered /antlerless
  8. southernshooter

Yea we can use those NEF single shot in 45/70, 38/55, and 500S&W as a primitive weapon
  9. polishshooter

Wow, that's neat...

We can't use ANY cartridge rifles yet, just Muzzleloading rifles and pistols, and modern shotguns, and handguns in GUn, and just Muzzlelaoders in "Muzzleloading...." we don't have a "Primitive" season....

They have been talking about allowing rifles, at least in Southern IN, for about ten years but haven't got it passed, which is STUPID, some of the new ML in-line rifles, and some of the TC Contender PISTOLS, give ballistics and range of a rifle...but one of the latest proposals I heard (according to a local gunshop owner with about 50-50 credibility, that didn't "pass" was to allow "Single Shot or Lever Action Centerfire Rifles shooting, or originally DESIGNED to shoot, black powder cartridges...."

I GUESS modern ammo would be allowed in any single or lever, plus ANY BP cartridge....

I wonder if it passes I can convince my wife I NEED one of those new Spencer 1865 carbine replicas in .56-50....and "settle" for a Marlin 95 carbine in .45-70....:p
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  10. southernshooter

They originally intened our law for those $10,000 european rifles but NEF stepped up and said we make one of those and you have to allow it.
    Yo Polish have you tried them new slugs in 12 gauge from Hornady they are supposed to give you 300 yards in a fully rifled barrel
  11. polishshooter

Southern, as far as I can tell nobody makes a rifled barrel yet for my '97, but I's still lookin'!:p :p :p

Now according to Balistic Producst, and others, SOME slugs can be improved with just a rifled screw in choke tube that are now available, and I always wanted to get a True-choke or something put on the '97, but then I'm kinda worried, if they bugger up the 18 1/2" barrel insatalling it there's not enough left to fix....:cool:

I have ALSO heard the claims of like 2 or 300 yd accuracy and power with hastings barrels and sabots, but I STILL think that when you look at those slugs costing like $8 to $12 for FIVE, NOBODY can afford to PRACTICE with them enough to even KNOW what they would do at 300... I mean 20 rounds of them would be like $32 to $48, come ON!

Guys don't even practice, much LESS bench that much with their slug guns with the Walmart special $1.99 SLUGGERS, maybe if they DID they'd be able to hit RELIABLY out to at least 100! But they DON'T... so I can't see guys taking the PUNISHMENT at the same time shelling out so much MORE money for the "fun" of benchresting a 12 guage....;)

I kind of take those claims with a grain of salt.....I STILL think rifled barrels are GOOD, but only to give you 4 inch groups at 100, instead of 12" groups from a smoothbore, which WILL get you more deer,...but that slug STILL isn't hitting all that much HARDER, and STILL is losing energy fast.....so even WITH the "whiz-bang" sabots and rifleing and stuff, you STILL have to remember it is STILL "only" a shotgun.....
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2006